I have received a lot of interest from others on here in my involvement with the Xeljanz trials at Yale.

I thought it would be nice for everyone if I documented my progress on here. 

Xeljanz is a Jak3 inhibitor and is believed to work with alopecia by turning off the distress signal relayed by the hair follicle to the attacking immune system which is the cause of the hairs falling out. Xeljanz comes in a strength of 5mg per pill and a full box contains 60 tablets. The recommended dosage for arthritis is 1 tablet in the morning and another in the evening each day.

The trial is set in a series of stages and there are requirements before participating. These include monthly visits and blood tests every 2 weeks. Dr Brett King is absolutely fantastic and is an inspiration to me. His positivity and enthusiasm gives me the much needed hope I have craved for over a decade. I have been put on a low dose to start with which is 1 tablet every other day. My dosage has now been increased to 1 tablet every day and next month it could be increased to 2 tablets per day depending on the results. 

I have completed my first month and have already noticed my alopecia has stabilised . I have not lost any existing hairs. In addition to this I have seen little hairs growing in my chest area as well as eyebrows. Fingers crossed! To date, I have experienced no side effects.

-----------------------------

AW:  Other discussions on Xeljanz / Tofacitinib

https://alopeciaworld.com/main/search/search?q=Tofacitinib

Views: 927422

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree. Columbia University is also looking to do a study on tofacitinib (Xeljanz) starting this fall. Hopefully they can get a topical going as well...that would at least help a lot of AA patients and reduce the drug exposure/ risk.  

For FDA traction, larger studies will be needed. But all is very positive.

What ever became of the study on abatacept for AA, tried to research this and it looks like its been withdrawn? 

Agree they only care about making money. 

Hi - I have had AU for 2 years too ! So devastating ! I started "Xeljanz" 7 weeks ago at 5 mg 2X per day and have ZERO results so far !!! Trying to keep my hopes up ..

Hi, would you mind sharing if you experienced any success on Xeljanz?

I started 5 weeks ago and have hair on my face and in my nose along with some eyebrow hair my Ra doctor told me it takes 3 and a half months to fully enter you're system keep the Faith you're hair is on its way good luck

It needs 2 months to start seeing results don't worry

Please keep taking the medication , it works. It is devastating . Alopecia took my life, my happiness, my marriage. In 2014 Dr Boswell UCSF and started me in xeljanz. I have my life back, I can not go back. Please keep taking it.. it works on a molecular level blocks that autoimmune response to attack your own tissue. How amazing is that.

I started Xeljanz August 22 so this Friday will be 7 weeks. I take 5mg 2X daily since the beginning. I have AU and haven't seen even 1 hair yet. I was so hopeful and am kind of bummed out but I will keep taking it and hope for the best.
Hi Rose, how were you able to get the xeljanz? Don't give up, it may just be taking a little longer for you.
I had to seek out several Dermatologists to find one that had balls enough to help me. I won't give up, I just want it to work, don't ya know?
Also, we are a Military family and I was shocked when they said they would pay for MED. I was gearing up for a fight. I want to try it for 6 months so I hope it doesn't change

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service