I have received a lot of interest from others on here in my involvement with the Xeljanz trials at Yale.

I thought it would be nice for everyone if I documented my progress on here. 

Xeljanz is a Jak3 inhibitor and is believed to work with alopecia by turning off the distress signal relayed by the hair follicle to the attacking immune system which is the cause of the hairs falling out. Xeljanz comes in a strength of 5mg per pill and a full box contains 60 tablets. The recommended dosage for arthritis is 1 tablet in the morning and another in the evening each day.

The trial is set in a series of stages and there are requirements before participating. These include monthly visits and blood tests every 2 weeks. Dr Brett King is absolutely fantastic and is an inspiration to me. His positivity and enthusiasm gives me the much needed hope I have craved for over a decade. I have been put on a low dose to start with which is 1 tablet every other day. My dosage has now been increased to 1 tablet every day and next month it could be increased to 2 tablets per day depending on the results. 

I have completed my first month and have already noticed my alopecia has stabilised . I have not lost any existing hairs. In addition to this I have seen little hairs growing in my chest area as well as eyebrows. Fingers crossed! To date, I have experienced no side effects.

-----------------------------

AW:  Other discussions on Xeljanz / Tofacitinib

https://alopeciaworld.com/main/search/search?q=Tofacitinib

Views: 927421

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can always e-mail someone else from Beacon from here https://www.beaconmedicare.com.bd/medicare-team.php and wish someone replies soon. 

Hello, 

Is there someone who know if Tofacent of emergency drug is  as good as tofacitinix of beacon pharma?

I had problems 2 times with customs and beacon pharma doesn t want to give me box anymore!

Thanks you 

Hello Everyone,

Was wondering if someone could help. I live in Canada and have just tried to place an order with Beacon. They said they have had issues with Canadian customs and I should try to have it sent to U.S. instead and pick it up there. Has anyone had success ordering into Canada? Any other way around this?

Thanks

I am also Canadian and am thinking of ordering from Beacon pharmaceuticals. I understood you need to get a box in the US and have your order mailed to it. I believe you can cross the US border if you have a Canadian prescription.I think you can not bring over 3 mths supply at a time. However as the border in closed during the Pandemic this may have to wait. 

Has anyone got the Covid shot yet? Not sure what to do.I did get a flu shot and never stopped taking Xeljanz and was fine.Any ideas?

I have received both vaccines and have not had any increase in shedding. I’m 3 weeks post the second one

I replied in another thread. I think it is still uncertain based on lack of data, but seems safe. The only risk could be a dampened response. The post I put on that site suggested to pause Xeljanz for a week for RA patients after each dose of the vaccine. But I think that was to create a better immune response to the vaccine, not because of potential adverse effects, if that makes sense. It is just a best guess. I don't have a shot lined up anytime soon in my state and I don't plan to pause medication when I do get it because I know my hair will start to fall out. I might pause a day or 2 but not 7. 

I asked a dermatologist about Xeljanz.   He said there is no cure for Alopecia.  I asked him if Xeljanz would actually be safe to use during a pandemic.   From what I've heard, it does shut down your immune system and I mentioned this to him but his main reason for not offering it to me is that there is no proven cure.  I guess some doctors just don't discuss clinical trials with their patients.  

Silly answer from your dermatologist. There is no cure for most problems you take medication for.That’s why you take medication from over the counter to prescription.My husband takes several asthma medications a day there is no cure but if you want to live a normal life you take it.

Agreed. The dermatologists in my area (central PA) are absolutely useless!  They have no idea what they are doing when it comes to alopecia areata.  They keep trying to treat as an external disease with all their lotions and potions, when it is clearly an internal (an autoimmune disease).  I would say it is probably better (at least if you have a more severe case) to be with an immunologist rather than a dermatologist for alopecia areata.  For a doctor to blithely say there is no cure for alopecia areata is beyond-the-pale stupid.  Most alopecia areata patients already know that, but that does not mean there are no possibly effective treatments.  Honestly???  I don't know who some of these "doctors" ever graduated from medical school (LOL!)

You are so right! I couldn't find even one dermatologist in Sothern NJ including Jefferson in Philadelphia who knew anything about treatments for AA. Incompetence and no desire to help.

Nat, I am also from that area as well. Add me, i'll dm you a place you can go to. They are very helpful. I wanted Xeljanz at one point too. I already schooled them on what Xeljanz was based on links and info from this site lol. they were trying to help me get it, but i gave up on that. Im ok with having alopecia at this point.  I don't mind helping someone else out tho, so accept my friend request

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service