I have received a lot of interest from others on here in my involvement with the Xeljanz trials at Yale.

I thought it would be nice for everyone if I documented my progress on here. 

Xeljanz is a Jak3 inhibitor and is believed to work with alopecia by turning off the distress signal relayed by the hair follicle to the attacking immune system which is the cause of the hairs falling out. Xeljanz comes in a strength of 5mg per pill and a full box contains 60 tablets. The recommended dosage for arthritis is 1 tablet in the morning and another in the evening each day.

The trial is set in a series of stages and there are requirements before participating. These include monthly visits and blood tests every 2 weeks. Dr Brett King is absolutely fantastic and is an inspiration to me. His positivity and enthusiasm gives me the much needed hope I have craved for over a decade. I have been put on a low dose to start with which is 1 tablet every other day. My dosage has now been increased to 1 tablet every day and next month it could be increased to 2 tablets per day depending on the results. 

I have completed my first month and have already noticed my alopecia has stabilised . I have not lost any existing hairs. In addition to this I have seen little hairs growing in my chest area as well as eyebrows. Fingers crossed! To date, I have experienced no side effects.

-----------------------------

AW:  Other discussions on Xeljanz / Tofacitinib

https://alopeciaworld.com/main/search/search?q=Tofacitinib

Views: 927421

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That was a kind gesture Jcortez

Hi Jcortez05,
You may have to send Sultan an invite. I think he may not understand that process.
Also sultan I developed almost AU soon after my sons birth last year .. Had just started losing my eyebrows when I started xeljanz and it took bout 1 month to see growth .. I just started my 5th month and I have complete regrowth .. It's still short it looks like a short buzz cut but my scalp and eyebrows are all there . Just be patient ( I know it's hard to do) but think positive thoughts .
Just started month 5 .. It will happen think positive thoughts
Attachments:

Looks good!!!

Wonderful Jcortez05! I remember when you first started Xeljanz. Great regrowth. So happy for you!
Wow
In 5 months. U are a great responders to xeljanz. Happy for u.
Trying to connect with you as we live in ont too. Would like to find a dermatologist to help with my 25 year olds AU. Perhaps we could do a cheaper bulk buy of Xelijanz. Thanks look forward to hearing from you kristinjohn@hotmail.com

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/aclaris-therapeutics-acquires-worldwi...

Pure speculation but I'm hoping this means Aclaris is onto something.  They obviously see a future in JAK inhibitors and its role for potentially treating hair loss.  What's also encouraging about this is that Vixen was co-founded by Dr. Angela Christiano.  Hopefully this acquisition was as much about acquiring her time to research and develop as it was about acquiring her company's IP (also speculation).  I've heard her say in interviews that one of the biggest impediments to finding a cure / treatment for AA is lack of funding - that may be changing.

HI Friends,

I've looked back through some posts and of course pictures posted by those of you with re-growth. I'm a bit discouraged because I have so much white hair, and it was getting long (all over, but not thick by any means. You could see right through it to my scalp.) Anyway, I mentioned that about 4 weeks ago it started shedding. I have not lost any of my eyelashes (which are all there and all blonde.) I still have just a little bit of dark hair starting to poke through.

Anyway, I am treated by a rheumatologist and finally got back to see a new dermatologist today. She gave me a bunch of kenalog (cortisone) injections in my scalp on the sides so we can track it -and also she did both eyebrows. I asked her about the white hair, and if dark hair comes in after that - and she explained that the white hair will TURN dark if the follicle is healthy/strong enough. That makes me so SAD because I am so worried that I'm just not responding to this medicine as some folks have. I'm now on month 8.

Is there anyone who had similar re-growth who then experienced dark hair, and could that person share and send some encouragement my way? thank you so much friends !

I know someone who had white hair for time. It became darker with time. But it took time.
The colour of your hair will usually come back to the original but not always. I know there is no scientific evidence but let me tell you something that happen to me. I had dark brown hair before alopecia. My first regrowth my hair came black. My family and friends were suspicious and asked me if I was dying my hair lol. Stay strong, take ferritin supplement also. Ferramax is a good one I believe.

Thank you so much for responding! I have been taking Biotin and Vitamin D, but hadn't thought about taking ferritin supplement. Ironically, when my hair initially became totalis/universalis in 2009, I had bloodwork done and Ferritin level was FOUR! I was getting weekly iron infusions at the doctor's office after that! Thank you so much for the recommendation, and encouragement!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service