So tomorrow I'm getting a visit from CPS. Apparently, the school called CPS on my wife and I for child neglect because my twelve year old daughter has Alopecia. She started losing her hair around January. She's completely hairless now. When we noticed the patches we took her to a dermatologist. He diagnosed her and then gave us some medicine which didn't work. I don't believe there is any form of medicine to treat this type of Alopecia. So the school figured they'd wait until she returned the next year after summer break and if she was still bald they'd contact CPS and file a complaint. We don't treat her any differently. We never ask her to wear her wig or hat when we go out. We try and make her environment as stress free as possible. She's so comfortable now she doesn't even wear a hat or wig at school. Unfortunately she's probably going to get upset when this government employee shows up tomorrow to start asking questions about her condition. So how should I deal with this? Do I allow this CPS employee into my home or just talk outside and how do I deal with the school? Any advice would be great. Thank you.

------

Views: 4019

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree, Mike. I hope that this family didn't let CPS into their home to "snoop".

To have CPS called on your family in regards to Alopecia is a complete abuse of power! I would strongly suggest you DO NOT allow the CPS worker into your home; it is unwarranted, and the school system needs to be held accountable for their actions! A lawyer is definitely a good idea; I would strongly suggest a lawsuit against the school for a myriad of abuses against your family! The suggestions to use this as a platform to bring awareness to Alopecia is a good idea as well, but it is very sad that you and your family are being put in this unwanted position to begin with. Please do keep us posted as to the result of this intrusion in your life! My heart and prayers go out to you and your family!

This happened to me when I was 14. The woman who showed up talked to me first and then to my dad. She asked me if my alopecia was being treated. It was, but I don't think she understood that this was a condition that didn't affect my health, just my hair. I think it's important that they know that. I wish I could remember the incident better so I could be more helpful. It's awful that your daughter's school would do this. I couldn't believe when it happened to me.

I have heard of others who had that happen and it is weird.. that is where having information to give the CPS worker comes in handy. they don't know about this disease unless they know someone with it. Heck, I had it and knew nothing about it. I hear folks on her over reacting and wanting to put up a wall, this is the time to take down walls. Yes if the CPS worker is a jerk and does not listen then you take it to the next level, but if they show up and there is a lawyer there and a closed door, then one loses. Before you even start you are saying to them I have something to hide. If I were to arrive and feel unwelcomed and feared then I would figure you had a reason to hide. I once got a call from some agency after one of my children was picked up at age 11 or 12 for shop lifting. I talked to the woman, told her what his punishment was going to be and in the end we had a great chat about what kids get into when we are not looking and she said I sounded like a loving, caring mom and said have a nice life - no family court for us. that is the outcome you want from this - not the start of WWIII.

As incredible as this sounds, this may be an opportunity to educate others, (CPS and the school), about Alopecia. From a parental standpoint,I wouldn't make a big deal out of it so as not to upset your daughter. We'll keep a good thought for you all and hope the situation resolves itself.

My situation is a little different, but we had CPS called to our home because a neighbor noticed my kids were not in school. We were new to the neighborhood and they are homeschooled. When they came to the door, I explained to them very politely that they were homeschooled. I told them I had paper work to prove it, plus I could show them recent schoolwork from that day, but if they wanted to speak to my child I would like to call my lawyer to make sure that my rights are being protected. That I would prefer that my children not be put through this if it wasn't necessary since we weren't doing anything illegal. They looked at my documents and told me to have a nice day. That whenever they have a call they have to respond and they were sorry for bothering me. I would assume if you have documents stating your daughter has alopecia and were nice to them, they would probably just look at those and leave. If not I would make sure I had a lawyer on stand by in case. I can't believe a school would contact you with their concerns. I have taught and I know if I had a child suddenly start losing hair, I would contact the family out of concern and support for my student. I would want to make sure I could support them in any way, so it wouldn't hinder them learning in my classroom. It really makes me feel sad for the kids who have teachers who care so little as to find out what is going on.

Dena....and these "intrusions" are one of the reasons people choose to home-school their children. More, safer, secure learning for the children, less invasion of privacy and drama. I used to think "homeschoolers" were crazy people, until I met a few families, and now I "get it."

Hi

It is shocking how little the school and CPS know about hairloss...obviously their thought process is stress causes hairloss, so the child must be stressed......STRESS DOES NOT CAUSE ALOPECIA!

I'm so sorry you and your daughter are having to go through this. I would do as much communication without your daughter present as possible. Her protection in the situation would be foremost. I see that people are advising attorneys etc. At this stage I feel you have the ability to explain this condition and help yourself the school, your daughter and CPS.

I know this can be sorted out without further upset and that would be your aim I'm sure.

Hugs to you...this must be so very upsetting.

Rosy

We are advising this family have legal representation because CPS does...and if the family says one thing that CPS considers "wrong", then they ARE in a boatload of legal trouble. I would never send someone in to defend against a giant with a peashooter. NEVER.....

Hi

I would defer to your knowledge of your own country and it's legal ramifications...I am not an expert on US Law. I have absolutely no knowledge on CPS either.

I truly hope that this does not drag the family and child into something that is sensational rather than helpful.

Rosy

This is so up setting to here. I have had this since I was 5 and I am now 48. I have never heard of a school doing this there is even a government website that has alopecia on in:
www.niams.nih.gov › health_info‎

Where Can People Find More Information About Alopecia Areata?

You can get additional information through the following organizations:

National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS)
Information Clearinghouse
National Institutes of Health

1 AMS Circle
Bethesda, MD 20892-3675
Phone: 301-495-4484
Toll Free: 877-22-NIAMS (877-226-4267)
TTY: 301-565-2966
Fax: 301-718-6366
Email: NIAMSinfo@mail.nih.gov

Other Resources

Just read this and I am sick to my stomach. Being a teacher myself I can't believe it. I don't even know where to start with what to with the school. I don't have the answer but if I could go above them anger I have toward them I would Show them and teach to understand the situation and the hurt they are causing her and your family by their actions. First and foremost though I would explain what is really happening with all the CPS stuff to your little girl so she understands that why the school might think they way they do and how it is because they don't understand.I guess I am saying while she goes through this, support her by using it as a teachable moment.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service