Hi my name is Connie and i was just found out I have alopecia on Monday Septmeber 21, 2009. It is a day I will never forget! I noticed a spot on the front of my hairline was balding about a month ago. Went to the Dr. and they showed me that my hair was also missing in the back, around my ears, top of my head and spots all around. How did I not notice? I thought it was just thinning out. The Dr. sent me home with Rogain. Has it worked for anyone else? I cried the first day, all day long. I am feeling so many emotions. Sad, angery, etc... Now the crying is over and I am tring to learn as much as possible. I am also trying to cope with my husband and kids. Husband just wants to fix me. He hates it when I am upset. He got online and ordered me 4 months of Rogain. ( He seems to think that it is going to work) He keeps telling me don't worry, I don't think it is that bad. He is willing to do what ever it takes to make me feel better. He is a great guy and I am lucky. My kids are feeling sad because I am sad. I am trying to keep my head up. I feel like I shouldn't talk about it becasue it makes everyone feel uncomfortable. I also feel that I have to talk about it becasue it is making me feel uncomfortable.
I am very confussed right now. I am thankful for finding Alopecia World. I don't feel so alone.

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Connie, join the club (one I never wanted to belong to either). I'm going for shots, using minoxidil (Rogain) and Olux foam. I have no idea if or when all of this has any effect. I've got patches all over but everyone seems to think I hide them well. And yesterday I thought I saw some new growth in one area, as another area got worse. Oy. I have nightmares about waking up bald, and went out last week and bought a very expensive wig, the first one I tried on, couldn't bring myself to comparison shop, the whole experience was painful. That said, I haven't worn it yet even though I'm not sure I can look completely "normal" without it. I can't give any advice, this is all quite astonishing to me too, can't quite believe i look like this. my husband is very supportive , as are my friends. i have good days and bad and keep hoping this is all temporary. good luck to us all.
Susan
Hang in there Connie!!! I've had alopecia since I was 5, but within the last 2 years I have almost lost all of my hair. It was never this bad before. It is an up and down roller coaster. Keep your head up and do talk about it!! Dont keep it bottled up inside. I know it would be harder for alopecia to be so new, I'm used to it by now! If you ever need to talk. I have never taken rogain or any other medicine, ever. It seems like a waste of time and false hope (to me) ...I just try to accept it how it is, and try to do the best I can with it :) Good Luck Hon!!!!
I'm new at this too, Connie. not a fun surprise, is it? I just have one spot so far (knock on wood), but it is quite visible, right at the crown of my head, about nickel sized. The dermatologist gave me cortisone cream, but would like to start injections if I will agree. i wasn't too enthused about shots to the scalp! I am in denial, just hoping I'll wake up and it will be all fixed:)
What is most frustrating to me is not knowing the cause, as there are so many possibilities. I also have hidradenitis suppurativa (autoimmune skin condition) as well as loads of allergies, so it might be that. I'm going through menopause and have had a lot of symptoms, so it could be hormonal. I was also very stressed this summer when my dad passed away (nursing home accident that should not have happened), so it could even be stress. I just wish we could all pinpoint it more, so we could address the cause.
Hang in there. I will if you will!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service