I had very thick curly hair until I was nine years old. I had ringlet curls all over. Around my 10th birthday, my hair got a lot straighter and it got thinner all over. It had been so thick that I didn't think much of it. Well, it continued to get thinner, but mostly on top, like pattern baldness. By the time I was 12, I looked like a balding man.

It came and went. My hair got progressively worse until I was 15, then at 16-17 it got better. Then suddenly it got worse again. And worse, and worse. Around 19, I started developing strange patterns of loss. At its worst, I had a weird bald "doughnut" on back of my head...a big bald circle with hair growing in the middle. That grew back, but I still have weird bald streaks, and some typical AA spots at the nape of my neck. My hair grows in a strange paisley pattern!

I couldn't get a doctor to say I had AA because I have such a strange pattern, and it was only recently that my doc said that I have diffuse AA, which is pretty rare, I suppose.

Does anyone else have unusual alopecia?

Views: 363

Replies to This Discussion

I was told I have one of the rare patterns too the Ophiasis which is to me like reverse male pattern baldness. I lost most all except the top. It started on the side and back they say its like a snake pattern. Now that its grown back and falling out again I really don't see a pattern yet just spots all over small up to a quarter size.
jessica
ok all i really do see that there are a good many of us with the Ophiasis pattern humm maybe theres something there the doc's should look into.
lets try to gather info and forward it to NAAF.

jessica

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service