I just had a txt from matthew (founder of princess charlotte alopecia foundation) and he told me one of the men who attended our ball from the government read a speech in parliament yesterday. He said that alopecia suffers are going to receive a $70 allowance per week to help out with wigs etc.

I have looked online but haven't seen any news about it yet. But for you aussies I would look out for some info and get in to contact with someone about it.

Hope nz follows suit!

Views: 540

Replies to This Discussion

that would be great but i cant find anything about it
$70 a week sounds incredible! $3000 a year would certainly take care of my wig expenses. Carers of the disabled don't get that much...be interesting to know if this is true.
New Zealand already give Alopeacia grants every two years. It used to be $2000 but not sure how much it is now. I am going to NZ next week and will be applying for my grant so will have more knowledge about that at the end of October. You have to have a letter from your Doctor and when I next contact you I will type the exact wording. NSW people get a grant but nobody in QLD gets one. I know this because of someone who lives in Byron Bay told me as she had received it. Hope this information helps your. Cheers Joan
But you have to be a nzlander to qualify yeah? Typical of Qld not to give grants. $2000 every two years would bankroll my wigs!
Yes pat I am a NZer but live here. Just as well I ahve a couple of Doctor friends who will write me a letter The Money is kept by the wig provider not paid to me. But still that is good. I have $395.10 cents in my account over there at present so will not hve to pay much more for one this time.
Hi Joan
For an adult, unless it has changed very recently the amount is alittle over $2000 (about $2200 I think) every Nine years, but a childs grant is different (a smaller amount more often). Someone else may know the exact figure. I had to have a new Doctors Certificate confirming my Alopecia when I applied last time (about a year ago) as I was about to order a new wig and my new 9 year term had just started My wigs last a long time and I didn't find out about the changes to the grants to a Nine year term until I had a repair done on my older wig back in 2006.

Take care
Cheryl
Hi
I have just found this on the Ministry of Health website for wig subsidy.
Hope this helps.

For adults (with permanent hair loss)
Your entitlement is $2280 (GST incl) over a nine-year period. You can claim all of or part of your $2280 entitlement at any time over the nine-year entitlement period. For adults (with temporary hair loss) Your entitlement is $400 (GST incl) over a one-year period.

For children (with temporary or permanent hair loss)
If you are under 18 your entitlement is $1200 (GST incl) over a three-year period or until you turn 18, if that happens first. You can claim all or part of your $1200 entitlement at any time over the entitlement period. If you are 18 or over and your growth has been affected by cancer or cancer interventions you may still be entitled to $1200 over a three-year period. To apply for this entitlement you need to contact the Ministry of Health and provide supporting medical information.

This information last updated in May 2008.
Take care
Cheryl
great news- can you let use know IF it is going to be available and how we can get it- as it would help out wouldn't it in buying wigs etc.
Nicky
I had a look on the dept of aging website and couldn't find out about it for us aussies- I know if you have hair loss due to chemo you can get a grant but haven't heard of it for AA- if anyone finds out it would be great to know- any little helps doesn't it
Nicky
Yes! I've finally found something on this. It's for the Victorian dept of Health, but there is sure to be something similar in all Aussie states.
It appears as though adults are eligible for: two basic synthetic wigs (or equivalent contribution towards human hair wig, or more expensive synthetic wig up to the subsidy cost) = $240 per 2 years.
Children: one human hair wig (child 16 years and under) = $600 per wig.
Look at the link below under "personal use items continued...."
http://www.bendigohealth.org.au/App_CmsLib/Media/Lib/0902/M2989_v1_...
Brochure:
http://www.bendigohealth.org.au/App_CmsLib/Media/Lib/0902/M2975_v1_...
Centers in Victoria
http://www.bendigohealth.org.au/App_CmsLib/Media/Lib/0902/M2982_v1_...
Application form:
http://www.dhs.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/339121/cis_ae...

Wahoo!!! I hope this helps - or at least if you're not in VIC then it might be a guide for where to head in other states....

Cheers!
great- lets hope th other states allow it too - we could do the help !
Nicky

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service