Tell me about the support you have recieved in Australia in dealing with Alopecia. Are there any special people who have helped you through dealing with the initial shock of alopecia?

Views: 60

Replies to This Discussion

there is alot of support out there for people suffering from alopecia... one person in particular... angela jackman, her heart felt words helped me to come to terms with my condition and gave me strength to deal with it... i've never met this woman in person.. just spoken to her on the phone and communicated via email... she put me on to some cures, support groups in my local area and it has helped my tremendously!
Yes i have talked to Ange she is a god sent alright. Great sense of humor and doing some great work within Queensland.
who is she and how do you get in touch with her
I too know Angela. I was given her name when I was buying my first wig (a tad confronting) I got in touch with her and was invited to the meetings. I found it daunting - and was rather shy and didnt really connect with anyone. Not that I hung around - My son was my excuse to leave early. Not that this is anyone elses fault but my own - but I was a "newbie" and really struggling with confidence. So with this said - I wasnt in the right frame of mind to introduce myself to anyone - even a fellow alopecia sufferer!
I dont see that there is much support other than the Group that Anglea heads up in Brisbane. Or havent come across it maybe - This web site is a Godsend though. Very timely.
yes i feel exactly the same.. im still yet to attend one of the meetings... guessi am a little scared too... plus im pretty shy meeting people for the first time.....
i was thinking about having an undercover wear party... nothing like sipping on champers and shopping for naughty lingerie to make you come out of your shell!!
plus... you might find something naughty to wear for your honeymoon! hehe
i'll keep yas posted and let you know when its on!
i think it depends where you live i get nothing and cant seem to find anything out iether so i am in the process of starting my own support can you tell me how to get in touch with angela jackman please
HI Leanne

I'm Angela Jackman!!! - I haven't been on line for a while - I have too many kids!!!! I haven't had any meetings in Brisbane since April - long over due I know - I hoped to have one prior to xmas but I have been working weekends this year - LONG STORY - and no end in sight this side of Christmas... however always happy to chat - 07 3829 0684

Regards

ANGELA
A friend of mine at the time organised a private visit to her hairdresser to cut-in my first wig. I was so humiliated by my bald head I was ashamed to be seen outside my bedroom let alone the house! I will always remember her kindness as that appointment with the hairdresser was the start of coming to terms with my aa and later my au.
i have a great hairdresser too, she didnt know i had alopecia and one day she said how are your treatments going, i just looked at her and laughed and said i have alopecia, she thought for about a year i had cancer! i've been seeing her for 7 or 8 years now and she brightens my day every time i see her
Anyone a part of this group?

http://www.alopecia-sydney.com/

Meeting Sat 30th Aug according to website.

All new for me, so maybe a bit too confronting to show up cold to a meeting with a bunch of bald strangers?...

=-)

Stacey
I'm not a member of this group but have been to the one in Victoria. I would say to you to give it a go,as most people are supportive.
Hello Stacey. I know your post is very old but I dont get on here much. Too busy playing bejeweled on facebook I am ashamed to say!! Did you get to the support group in Eastwood. run by Linda if i remember correctly? I used to go a few years ago but was disappointed that I was the only baldie in the room! all the others wore wigs which of course is their choice but like i say i was disappointed and stopped going.

where do you live stacey? i am in sydney, mosman to be exact.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service