How has AU affected your fingernails? I have one that's pretty riddled with pin-like indentions. Several of the others are oddly shaped and get the pin-sized indentions from time to time. My dermatologist told me (a long long time ago) that your fingernails are flattened, elongated hairs.

Views: 1753

Replies to This Discussion

My fingernails have vertical ridges in them which I heard can be a part of the alopecia. I don't think they look very nice with polish on them but otherwise not too noticeable. I keep them quite short because I think it's more noticeable at the top where there's no finger behind them. I've heard you can lose your nails and am very thankful I haven't.
I agree my nails and really gross and jagged.......
To be honest mine haven't changed at all. They still look just like they did before. Weird
I have vertical ridges in both my finger and toe nails and some pits in my thumb nails. It's not too noticeable though. Other than that, my nails are actually very strong and hardly ever break/tear. I know when you go get a pedicure/manicure they buff your nails which usually will get rid of the ridges, until they grow out of course.
my fingernails are very flaky and have got the ridges on but now i know im not the only one its much easier to handle im so glad i have found this website
i have aa and i have small pin-like indentions in my nails. it is not noticable unless you look really close. i take so many vitamins that they are long and stay pretty strong.
All of my nails look like Ruffles potato chips. I have been using an all-in-one nail file, buffer, and polisher board for awhile now. It works well. Sephora sells them and they are really inexpensive to buy.
So far no fingernail involvement with me.
My nails have the indents and have become kind of brittle. When I went to what my dermatologist called "rounds" I was seen by twenty to thirty other dermatologists and one of them asked me if they had fallen off before. Dealing with no hair is one thing, no hair and no nails... I don't want to know what that feels like! Has anyone experienced that before and did they grow back? Did it hurt? Thanks everyone, hope your having a great day.
Yes they grow back, I lost my nails after developing AU. I found taking Bioten help a lot on my nails growing back. Good luck
I have noticed my nails get vertical indentions in them. I just take a nail file and go across the tops of them, then add nail polish! I get compliments on my nails all the time! You can't tell at all.. I even use clear polish!
YES!!!!! I learn something new everytime I get lost on this site..

I noticed that after my hair fell out.. soon afterwards that my nails were growing funky and had indents and they were paper thin and they hurt to put in water. I had to keep my hands out of water for a while.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service