I have received a lot of interest from others on here in my involvement with the Xeljanz trials at Yale.

I thought it would be nice for everyone if I documented my progress on here. 

Xeljanz is a Jak3 inhibitor and is believed to work with alopecia by turning off the distress signal relayed by the hair follicle to the attacking immune system which is the cause of the hairs falling out. Xeljanz comes in a strength of 5mg per pill and a full box contains 60 tablets. The recommended dosage for arthritis is 1 tablet in the morning and another in the evening each day.

The trial is set in a series of stages and there are requirements before participating. These include monthly visits and blood tests every 2 weeks. Dr Brett King is absolutely fantastic and is an inspiration to me. His positivity and enthusiasm gives me the much needed hope I have craved for over a decade. I have been put on a low dose to start with which is 1 tablet every other day. My dosage has now been increased to 1 tablet every day and next month it could be increased to 2 tablets per day depending on the results. 

I have completed my first month and have already noticed my alopecia has stabilised . I have not lost any existing hairs. In addition to this I have seen little hairs growing in my chest area as well as eyebrows. Fingers crossed! To date, I have experienced no side effects.

-----------------------------

AW:  Other discussions on Xeljanz / Tofacitinib

https://alopeciaworld.com/main/search/search?q=Tofacitinib

Views: 927392

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am hoping to try the cream/ointment with xeljanz has anyone had success with that treatment?

Have you tried the xeljanz cream? Did it help?

Hey Rose how are you ? Can I ask how did you get on with the xeljanz ?

Give it 1 year, then if it doesn’t work move on to another Rx kenalog shots worked for me prior to tx.

Everything has side effects I started on Xelljanz 6 weeks ago after a sudden attack of au at 60 years old hair was thick and full and it was my strongpoint impossible to get a dermo perscription approved I was diagnosed With RA and was able to get put on Xelljanz I am currently growing hair on my face and inside my nose along with some eyebrow growth keeping the Faith that it all comes back Xelljanz is switching over to one 11mg tablet time release taken once a day good luck to all because right now this drug is the only promising treatment available
Congratulations on your regrowth and welcome to the thread.
That is interesting, tell us more about the 11 mg time release tablet. Did you get it that way from the pharmacy?
Pfizer has developed it Starshine. I don't think its available yet. But you can Google it. I remember reading an article about it last year.

I have been on the xeljanz for 15 months. 5 mg twice a day. As soon as I went to one 5 mg, my hair started falling out again.  I have had quite a bitt of regrowth but have a ways to go.. I had lost about 85 percent of my hair to begin with.  Good luck.

I am so excited that this treatment is working for you and also pray for your remission. I have a 3 year old little boy who is has alopecia universalis who we have just begun on squaric acid. Do you or by any chance find out if your treatment can be recommended for a child of his age? Any information would be greatly appreciated

Hi Marisa,

Xeljanz has not been studied on children yet and there is no confirmation to tell us if it is safe for them

to use. Xeljanz is a potent and potentially dangerous medication. Taking into consideration your sons age 

I would really wait for some solid results from the trials before making a decision. 

Unfortunately, this would not be a treatment for a 3yr old. This is an extremely potent drug and dosages are for adults. I know it is difficult to see your child with this condition, but he has plenty of time ahead of him to see if it goes into remission naturally. I suggest waiting for the new 2010 science to unfold and be tested before trying any aggressive treatments for a child that young. The good news for him is that new drugs are being developed that very easily could be the treatment he needs once he is older. I have two children that have fortunately avoided this, but do worry that it could happen any day to them. I take comfort in knowing the future will have many more treatments available to them than I did. I think there will be some significant advances in the next 5-7 yrs.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service