Hi,

I posted this on the Xeljanz discussion, but thought it might merit its own thread too.

Has anyone who's taken Xeljanz noticed a side-effect of depression, anxiety, or any other negative effect relating to mood?

The reason I ask is because I came down with the flu on Thursday night (four days ago), stopped taking the Xeljanz since Friday morning just to be safe, and the depression and anxiety that I've been struggling with for over the past two years practically disappeared overnight.

I felt pretty OK toward the second half of Friday, which in and of itself is a rare occurrence for me, and have only felt better and better each day since then.  I'd say yesterday is one of the best days I've had in years, and it was also one of the most stressful days, so I don't think present life circumstances are at play.

Literally, the only other recent change is the flu itself.  I've changed no other medicines, supplements, my diet or anything else.  Every other aspect of my life is unchanged.  It's quite bizarre.

I had increased my dosage of Xeljanz maybe six weeks ago or so, and was starting to get some fuller results on my face, so I'd hate to have to discontinue it, but if taking it versus not is the difference between feeling the way I do right now and the way I have over the past two years, then forget it, I'm ditching the stuff.  I feel like myself again, finally.  I'd forgotten that guy.

Anybody have a similar experience?

Thanks,

Chris

Views: 2781

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why yoh saying like that. If you have bad expieriance thats your indyvidual feelings i know many people which are happy now. Im not saing that you must have it. Thats everybodys own decission. So i think that you comment its not right and far. Anyway good luck. I hope that you find sth right for you

Did you had a bad experience with Monat? I know many people which are happy because tge products changed them life. So you shouldnt say like that. Everybody has a differenf storry. Good luck and hope that you win with alopecia

Does this medicine work in androgenic alopecia?

Its not medicine. Thats natural product with no chemicals which helps fighg with that kind problems. Please give ms more information about your problems. Feel free to send me a private information and maybe pictures of your head. So ill be ableto help you Arghya

First, let's be honest.

MONAT is not "natural" it has chemicals here let me show you some on your label. If you actually researched and were knowledgeable about the product you are trying to sell you could do it honestly. But you didn't care about the person trying to fight alopecia you only care about coming on here and trying to make money.

Are these chemicals: Because you promise no chemicals.

Brassicamidopropyl Dimethylamine
Cetyl Hydroxyethylcellulose
Behentrimonium Chloride
POLYQUATERNIUM-7

Stop saying chemical free, it is nowhere near chemical free and includes many synthetic ingredients. It is not FDA approved and is currently being investigated by the FDA for over 300 adverse reactions. (2nd only to Wen shampoo). There are several class action lawsuits against Monat, and the recent FDA inspection of their facility found it to be unsanitary and could have filthy products.

As a stylist, I will not allow you to take advantage of people looking for real solutions and answers. Take your snake oil somewhere else.

Lea Hartline

Thats your own thinking you dont need to get the products im not saying that. So stop please. I have real safisficate clients. As i said everybody are different. So dont get it if you think that im laying. For the people with that series problem im not taking any commission i just wanna help for people. Dont say if yoh dont know me.

That is not "my thinking" that is documented FACTS!

Monat is not all natural and has many chemicals in their products.  Learn to read your label.

Monat is currently fighting at least 11 class action lawsuits for false advertising, and adverse reactions.  You lied in your own comment by saying it was all natural with no chemicals.  That is not "my thinking" that is fact.

You want me to stop then stop trying to take advantage of people by promising them something this product will NOT deliver.

Ok you are the best. As i said im not telling you that you need have it. I have no comission with selling that. So plwase ding say ic you dont know me!! Good luck

Thanks for the replies, people.  It's looking so far like nobody else has experienced this as a side-effect.  Granted, depression and alopecia universalis are correlated for obvious reasons, but I've had this disease for almost 20 years, so believe me when I tell you I'm not confusing this with depression over the disease.  The disease obviously sucks and saps much of the joy from life, making it impossible ever to go an entire day without experiencing feelings of self-consciousness, but what I'm describing as depression is quite different.  I'm talking about a complete loss of interest in life, complete loss of joy in doing the things I used to enjoy, huge loss of energy, zero motivation, inability to focus, difficulty waking up in the morning, and the total elimination of any sense of anticipation or "looking forward" to things that I should be excited about (like, say, having a kid, for instance).

At any rate, I've been taking Xeljanz on and off (mostly on) for years now, so it's hard to correlate past periods of treatment with periods of depression.  What I can say right now is that I started feeling like my old self again by mid-afternoon the morning I stopped taking it due to having caught the flu, and by that evening, I was feeling good.  The next day (a Saturday), I knew something was profoundly different.  It took me days to put it together that I had ceased the Xeljanz, because I have had brief periods of feeling better in the past that last anywhere from an hour to a couple days, but they were generally due to some supplement or nootropic I was trying.  Nothing ever lasted more than three days, and it always felt somewhat "induced."  I felt much better, even euphoric at times, but never "like myself."

Since stopping treatment (and contracting the flu) ten days ago, I have felt like myself again pretty much 100% of the time.  I had forgotten that guy.  It's hard to describe, and I'm glad others don't seem to have experienced the same thing.

My intention now is, once I start feeling completely better again, to reintroduce the Xeljanz and see if the depression comes back or not.  If it does, I know it was the drug.  If it doesn't, then it was either the flu triggering some kind of remission in my depression, or just completely spontaneous, and all the rest is just coincidence.  I'll update this thread with the results when I'm confident I trust them.

Hi Agneta,

I won't patronize you; I am fortunate to be a man with this disease rather than a woman.  I am also fortunate to have features that lend themselves well to the bald look, including a nicely shaped head, a prominent brow, etc.  That said, I do know the feeling you describe.

I am also fortunate to have a relationship with my family where it was never really ignored.  We're close enough that everything was always out in the open, and people were able to express their concern and sympathy to me directly from day one.  There was hope early on that it would regrow, so I could shrug off most of it and just say, "well see what happens."  No one ever condescendingly told me "it's just hair" or whatever, but even if they did, I can't let that bother me because that's just their awkward way of trying to make me feel better.  It's hard to be mad at people who have your best interests at heart, even if they are clumsy and brainless about how they try to express it.

That said, I do often consider the plight of children with this disease who don't even have the benefit of a "normal" childhood in this regard, which I had.  I also think about kids with cancer who are fighting to just not die, and I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I allowed myself to get bitter or start feeling sorry for myself in light of that.  Too many people have it way worse.  All I can do is bear it the best I can and do everything in my power to correct it, and be thankful things aren't even worse than they are, which is a reality for all too many people.

I understand what you're saying with regard to the depression, but if you felt what I did, you would realize there is a worse place to be.  The fact that you want so badly to improve your situation is testament to it; the depression I described is one where you care so little about anything that you're not even motivated to improve your situation because what's the point.  It's a situation in which you look forward to nothing because you've completely lost the sensation of joy you once felt from doing the things you loved, and that includes even tasting food and being intimate with your significant other.  It is a pointless existence.  Better to feel, and hope for better conditions, than not to feel, and be unable to enjoy even the best conditions.  It's not easy to describe.

At any rate, my advice would be the following:  For one thing, don't let the disease control you.  Don't walk on eggshells about your condition; when the opportunity presents itself to make a joke at your own hairless expense, take it.  It is what it is; you won't change anything by ignoring it.  In fact, by ignoring it, you'll only draw more attention to it, and to the fact that it bothers you.  People will interpret that as sensitivity, and being considerate, they will then walk on eggshells in your presence, creating a negative feedback loop of negativity and awkwardness.  You're not going to fool anyone into not seeing your alopecia, so why even try?  Own it.  The level of confidence and self-assuredness this will engender in you will be contagious.  People love self-deprecation and being around others who are comfortable in their own skins.  Giving them permission to not be so self-conscious around you will make them grateful and relieved, and their esteem for you will go through the roof.  You will become instantly more attractive to them.

Of course there will always be loathsome individuals who will go out of their way to make you feel bad about yourself, but that is true whether you have alopecia or not.  My approach to people like that is simple: I am not interested in their opinions of me anyway, so what do I care?  I'm certainly not going to waste precious time and brain energy caring about the opinions of people I would certainly detest anyway.  If anything, the disease is helpful in this regard in that it allows you to weed out those people very quickly rather than learning the hard way later in life that they were awful humans.

Anyway, I hope some of this has been helpful.

Chris

I have not tried Xeljanz but I am just curious if anyone on here knows if this is covered yet in Canada? Or when it will be. I cannot afford it but am sort of waiting till it is covered by my MSP to try it. 

thanks! 

I don't know about xeljanz (I didn't took it) but I'm glad that the depression passed overnight. When my wife took some pills for some food intoxication that she had, the depression was much more serious. For a week she couldn't escape it. We had to buy supplements to bring it back to life. Sulbutiamine was the one to fix the problem. More about it on https://www.trickortreatment.com/where-to-buy-sulbutiamine-online/. This reaction to medicine is not typical, it is a body reaction that should be mentioned as a side-effect.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service