Wigs-anyone written off on taxes or got insurance company to pay for a wig or prosethesis?

Views: 1542

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This past year when we filed our taxes the lady that filed them said that I coud not use my wigs to count as medical! We argued back and fourth because it should be considered a medical device. I spend several thousand dollars on wigs every year and there's got to be a loop hole around that. Also I've never been fortunate enough to find an insurance company that will pay for a wig, but I have heard several people on here say that their insurance company paid for their wig.
well, I'm going to try it this year so I will keep you updated. I have a ton of other expenses from an accident so I'm already over the 3% of income
Annette,
You might want to look for another accountant. The wigs are tax deductible with a doctor's prescription. You can also get reimbursed from your pre-tax account at work if you have one.
Myem
You mean all this time, all I needed was a prescription from the doctor!!!! Why in the world didn't she tell me that! UGHHHH!!!
Hello i recently got my doctor to give me a prescription for a hair prosethesis, the insurance company pays for some of the cost of the wig of your choice, call your insurance carrier first, they can tell you if the cover hair prosethesis not all do.
Hope this helps.
Thanks ladies! You're a wealth of information and with a doctor's excuse I sure was going to write it off! I just talked to my ins. company and they will cover $1k, minus a $200 deductible, but $800 is better than nothing! I hope my next post is a photo with my new wig!
That is great news!!!! I am so happy about that!! Every little bit helps!
Years ago, according to the American Cancer Society, New York State will consider wigs purchased for medical purposes tax deductable. Also, you might want to ask your doctor for a "cranial prosthesis" as some insurers will cover that but not a wig. Good luck!
IRS publication # 502: 2008

You can deduct only the amount of your medical and dental expenses that is more than 7.5% of your adjusted gross income (Form 1040, line 38).

Example.

Your adjusted gross income is $40,000, 7.5% of which is $3,000. You paid medical expenses of $2,500. You cannot deduct any of your medical expenses because they are not more than 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.

Wig

You can include in medical expenses the cost of a wig purchased upon the advice of a physician for the mental health of a patient who has lost all of his or her hair from disease.

Thea
baldgirlsdolunch.org
GET A PRESCRIPTION FROM YOUR DOCTOR FOR A CRANIAL HAIR PROSTHESIS. THE PRESCRIPTION SHOULD HAVE A DIAGNOSIS CODE FOR AA, AU, OR AT WITH THE DOCTOR'S SIGNATURE. SOME INSURANCE COMPANIES WILL PROVIDE ONE CRANIAL HAIR PROSTHESIS PER POLICY YEAR AND SOME WILL PAY FOR ONE IN YOUR LIFETIME. THE PRESCRIPTION MAKES THE WIG A MEDICAL DEVISE AND YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY SALES TAX ON THE WIG.
My insurance company SAYS they will pay, but I am still waiting. But I expect it will eventually come through. the wig shop was very knowledgeable and struggled through several call to my dermatologist to get the prescription correctly written so it would be approved. Cranial prosthesis, not "wig". The woman at the shop told me which companies would cover and which wouldn't cover them for AA. (If you lose your hair during cancer treatment or during AA, don't you still feel the same in public?!?!?) She told me United Healthcare - some plans – do cover AA, and mine apparently does. So I will have coverage for about 1-1/2 wigs - lifetime coverage of $1000.

It is worth pursuing, and even appealing if you are turned down. Just be sure to get the right prescription and diagnosis numbers on the paperwork. As far as taxes - if you have apresciption, isn't that a medical expense?
I had united healthcare and they only gave me $500....Im so frustrated with the insurance fight, its not even funny. I busted my ass working overtime just to pay for my wigs....and Im still in debt. I have done everything I can possibly do, except sue.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service