Let me just preface my post with this-- I love my wigs. I'm gonna humbly brag a little here and say that they're beautiful, and, when compared to my friends' hair, my husband tells me that mine is far and away the sexiest, :) I don't mind spending 10,000+ every few months to have brunette "hair" like mine.

But I feel disgusting when I'm not in my wig. I hate it as much as I love it. I hate sleeping in it at hotels, I hate having to bring multiple wigs on trips for different purposes (I can elaborate on that, if I need to). I hate leaving company to run to the bathroom every few minutes to check on my hairline and make sure my eyebrows look good. The thought of my wig coming off nags at me every day, and I just want to live my life like I did when I had hair and didn't have to spend this much and worry this much to look like I do.

I'm conflicted and would appreciate comments. I need to vent and I need advice.

Views: 3954

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know if you are interested but I got my eyebrows tatooed on...they have hair strokes and look completely real.  Mine was done by a someone licensed for cosmetic permanent makeup.  Best money I EVER spent!

I had brows and eyeliner tattooed

Oh and as for eyebrows, yes, get them tattooed.  If they start to fade, use some brow powder and sealer on them.  I get mine from Bald Girls Do Lunch.  It stays on all day.

Well - I don't actually have a wig as such. I have an Intralace System (Lucinda Ellory) with a hair piece that is attached to my own (still existing) hair, just to the front of the crown. (I have FFA and bog-standard hair loss for that condition.)

But - I do completely get what you are saying. I am so grateful I have this 'hair' and can afford it, as it sure isn't cheap. And I am equally grateful that because it is attached to my own hair, and attached pretty strongly, I don't have the worry, as you do, about it coming off.

I do, however, feel that conflict of loving it, and hating the fact that I have to have it in the first place. To begin with, I didn't feel that - I just felt so relieved to look normal again. But, to my surprise I have to say, I am now beginning to experience twinges of almost-anger that I have to hair a system in the first place. I suppose the novelty and relief are now wearing off after what is now eight months.

Only now am I beginning to realise that having this hair piece is for the rest of my life, unless something changes radically. And that takes a lot of acceptance.

But it is great that I have something that works for me, even if I do feel hacked off that I need it. And that, I suppose, is where you are with your wigs.

Practically, is there any rational reason for you to worry about your hairline so frequently, or that your wig will come off? If it is a valid reason, is there anything you can do to improve matters? If there isn't a valid reason, can you - or someone either close to you, like your husband, or someone entirely neutral like a counsellor - help you reduce your worrying? It's that that is getting in the way of your wholly loving your lovely hair. Even if it isn't your's!

Sorry - probably not much help, but your post 'spoke' to me!

Denise

(ps 10,000 what every few months?! )

Hello DeniseC, I have a reasonable amount of my own hair but it is very patchy and i have to bite the bullet before the transition is too obvious. I am very interested in exploring the system you have. I don't know the first thing about wigs apart from spending $2000 on a hairpiece that was meant to stay on with clips, however, my loss is around the hairline mainly and this is where the clips were meant to attach.....go figure. I live in Australia which makes buying anything overseas rather expensive given that our dollar is so much weaker than the US for example. Hoping you can give me some information of how it works and where to start looking. Thank you. Regards, Sue.

have a look on the Lucinda Ellory website http://www.lucindaellery-hairloss.co.uk/ - this explains what I have. The issue you will have, though, is what there is that is similar in Australia. And you would need that, as you have to go to have the system adjusted every six weeks as your own hair grows.

The main advantage this has over a wig, I think, is that it is semi-permanent, so you can swim, go out in the wind, and so on, with perfect confidence. The system is woven into your own hair, and then a hair piece attached to it. It is left open at the front, so you can wash under it (and wash the underside of the piece, which is important, as otherwise there would inevitably be build up of conditioner, etc.) and then you attach at your (original) hairline with tape.

I know some people have written about having a piece glued to their head. That would be better in terms of not having to use tape or anything - however, I cannot imagine how it works if you still have hair growing. I do - it is sparse at the front, but enough so that having something glued to my scalp would be problematic I think.

So sorry - not much help really. You could try calling Lucinda Ellory or emailing and asking them. I know they are expanding rapidly, especially in the US, as they are so popular, but have no idea about any plans to go to Oz.

Denise

Hey, this company is in Oz. http://freedomcouture.com.au/fc-makeover/
follow them on Instagram. Amazing pieces. I'm in Canada so get the buying overseas dilemma, even me buying from the US is double the $.
I haven't purchased from them personally but you can read reviews online.
Good luck
Hi Denise. I have FFA too. After trying a lot of different wigs I finally found a human hair clip-in system that looks great. (I do feel self conciliatory sometimes when my husband sees me without it, but he's been a prince and never said a negative word about it.) my challenge is when doing sports, I can't wear it. Usually I just wear a yoga headband, but it's pretty obvious that my hair looks different than five minutes earlier. I'm wondering if you've found any system that works for sports (other than a full wig)? Thanks! Laura

Hi

I swim in my mine and do anything I want. It is attached very firmly to my own hair so it remains 'solid' come what may. I cannot imagine anything that would challenge it, as it is so closely interwoven with my actual hair.

I know what you mean about your husband. Even though mine has been nothing but great about it, I still feel a bit of embarassment if he happens to come into the bathroom when I am taping the front of my system down. He says he completely forgets it isn't my hair generally, which is great.

(See my reply to Sue, above your message, as that explains why you need to tape the system.)

I think this is a great system for me. But there are plenty of other solutions, as is clear from the very many posts that this whole subject has triggered!

Denise

I have a semi permanent piece that is glued to my scalp. I sleep, shower, swim, etc in it. My hair place takes it off once every five weeks to clean the glue off of it and off my scalp and then re-glues it. It doesn't move at all! It feels just a little strange sleeping in it but you get used to it. It cost me $1600 and it's human hair that matches my natural curl and color. I pay $75 every five weeks when I go to the hair place. I'm so glad I did this as my confidence went way up and I get compliments all the time...even more so that when I had a full head of hair!

I have only a few eyebrow hairs so I'm getting them tattooed in a few weeks cause I'm tired of drawing them on every day.
Sounds like what I have. I adore it! No Issues at all. Just beautiful hair!

Thank you so much for your reply. Whilst i have diffuse hair loss, the main problem is around my hair line and sides of my face so i don't know how i would glue this successfully. I have checked online and there doesn't seem to be an agent here in Australia for this type of system, therefore, i would be paying a fortune with the exchange rate and i am not very handy at all. In fact, i'm useless with anything that requires a bit of finesse so i wouldn't like to receive something in a box expecting to bring it to life myself. Feeling a bit lost in the whole thing but i am so very pleased that you seem to have found something that works for you and makes a difference in your life. So good to hear. Regards, Sue

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service