I was out with my daughter yesterday and she had chosen to wear a buff band as a cap, so fairly clear there was no hair in there. A stranger came up to us and said something like "Good for you, you're such a trooper!" We both stared at her. I was trying to figure out what on earth she was talking about and whether she knew my daughter somehow. I asked what she was talking about and she clearly didn't want to say, but as we were walking away she said, "Both my parents had cancer." I was really startled. I both didn't want to be rude (because she was trying to be nice), didn't want to mislead her, but also didn't want to share information that my daughter considers very personal.
Any thoughts?

Views: 240

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Awwwww, your daughter sounds amazing!!! I wish some of us adults had it together like her. This is a long, bumpy road. People either are rude or mistake us for cancer patients. Once she has her wig, please prepare her for snickering and people talking too. Unfortunately, wigs can make us more vulnerable. When I got my wig I was so confident and I strutted up to drop my daughter off at school and a little girl in her class asked my daughter, "why does your mom look like THAT today?" my daughter was so embarassed by me, it was probably one of the hardest moments in my entire life.

Children are bad because of their brutal honesty, adults are bad because of their ignorance.

Your daughter seems to have a positive attitude, and as long as she understands and defends herself, the better she will be. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do to prevent people from thinking she has cancer. She seems to be doing just the right thing to explain
herself !! :)

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service