Malinda's discussion titled "Spiritual Growth in Hair Loss" got me to thinking about how hair loss is depicted in the sacred texts of different religions.

Given that I am a Christian, I started my research in the Bible; and since I am also a non-alopecian engaged to a female alopecian, I focused most of my attention on what the Bible says about female hair loss in particular. What I found is disconcerting, to say the least.

Given that most, if not all, of the Bible's writings were composed in the context of pre-scientific and patriarchal cultures, it really did not come as a surprise to learn that the Bible does not state one positive thing about female hair loss.

For example, female baldness was understood to be a sign of mourning and/or submission (Deuteronomy 21:10-14) or divine judgment and humiliation brought on by sin (Isaiah 3:16-24; Micah 1:8-16); and one notorious apostle not only bought into the idea that "long hair" is a woman’s "glory," but that it is such "a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off" that she cover her head to conceal the shame (1 Corinthians 11:2-16).

On the other hand, writings in the Bible also make it clear that a head full of hair can enhance a woman's physical appearance (2 Kings 9:30; Song of Solomon 4:1) even if cosmetic enhancements such as the braiding of hair could never reflect or reveal her true inner beauty and submissiveness (1 Timothy 2:9-15; 1 Peter 3:1-6).

No doubt, alopecic and bald women in such ancient pro-hair cultures were subjected to unspeakable ridicule and rejection. Yet, the only time God avenges a bald person in the Bible is in the case a baldheaded male prophet who, "in the name of the Lord," called down a curse of some children who were teasing him, resulting in 42 children being mauled to death by bears (2 Kings 2:23-25)!

Indeed, with few exceptions for males only (e.g., Numbers 6:18-19; 2 Samuel 14:26; Acts 18:18), hair loss in general is depicted as a negative thing that happens only under the worst of circumstances.

That is pretty much what the primary sacred text of the Christian faith says about hair loss in general and my fiancée’s alopecia in particular. Basically, it gives very little positive acknowledgement to baldness or alopecia, champions even a God who keeps count of every hair on our heads (Matthew 10:30; Luke 12:7), and, unfortunately, thus helped to create the pro-hair society and world that we live in today.

What does your religion’s sacred scriptures say about baldness and alopecia? I would love to hear from non-Christians as well as Christians who agree and disagree with my take on the Bible’s hair loss texts.

Views: 22758

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

After reading the above remarks on this discussion, I thought that I would add a few quick comments that I hope will help the discussion and possibly stear us in the right direction... I looked through the texts that iAMrj included in his comments and do agree that the absence of hair is seen in a negative light in these passages. However, I do think that there is a difference between the situations at hand and our situation with alopecia. In Dt 21, a pagan convert shaved her head as a sign of purification from paganism. In Is 3, disobedient Israelites lose everything (including their hair) because of their infidelity to God. In MIcah 1, God tells his people to repent from their sinful ways offering the act of shaving one's head as a sign of their internal conversion. Alopecia is a condition unrelated to God's punishment, to signs of purification, and to signs of repentence. It is merely an element, that God has placed in people's lives, that add to our incredible uniqueness as people... In addition to this, I also disagree that God has contributed to our pro-hair society. In a moral outlook upon the world, we can see that man is far from perfection causing much harm towards others and creating a disordered system of ethics and values. This could not be more opposed to the ultimate perfection of our Creator. In saying this, the values that our culture and the world hold today cannot be put upon God but upon the man himself, who loves to uphold vanity as something of greatest value... I'm far from possessing a full knowledge of scripture but I do feel strongly that if we take scripture as a whole (placing each book and passage together), we end up with a beautiful picture of a God that is incredibly loving and understanding in everything that we might go through in our lives. God Bless.
Jason, thanks for giving your perspective and steering us "in the right direction," as you understand it.

I'm inclined to agree you that, "if we take scripture as a whole," "we end up with a beautiful picture of a God that is incredibly loving and understanding in everything that we might go through in our lives." If I did not believe this at least to some meaningful degree, I would not find any use for the Bible as the Christian I am.

As my alopecic and adorable fiancée can attest, I also "disagree that God has contributed to our pro-hair society." However, it should be noted that I concur with you on this point only because I make a clear distinction between the so-called word of/about God and the God of the word.

That's why I nowhere stated that "God" contributed to the creation of any pro-hair society. Rather, I stated that the "Bible" -- a culturally and ideologically contaminated anthology of venerated texts, in my view -- helped create the pro-hair society and world we live in to this very day. Of course, the "books" of the Bible are not the only culturally significant texts to which this charge applies.

Regarding Deuteronomy 21:10-14, it should be noted that the woman you described as a "pagan convert" was really a prisoner of war or, more accurately, war booty. Under the Deuteronomic Code, a male Israelite soldier was permitted to claim such spoils of war (as his wife or one of his wives?!?!) and, if she failed to please him, summarily dismiss her though he could not "sell her or treat her as a slave, since [he] dishonored her." In light of this, I would hardly call this religious conversion or describe her head shaving as something that was done as "a sign of purification from paganism."

Of course, texts like Isaiah 3 (which singles women out for punitive baldness, vs. 16-24) and Micah 1 (which likens God's wayward people to an ungodly female!) only serve to reinforce the Bible's negative view that female baldness in particular (the primary focus of my comments) is only to be associated with divine judgment, human tragedy, shame, and humiliation.
Hey all,

Wow you guys are deep! LOL

I am a Christian as well. I don't pour over the bible like I should but I can tell you that without a doubt God loves me just as I am. He knows everything and knew this was going to happen. Doesn't matter to him I may look like an egg in a few months. I am beautiful in his sight. That is a hard thing for me to swallow but it is true.

I didn't do anything to have this happen to me. I almost died 4 years ago with a perforated bowel which blew up inside me and left me in the hospital 5 weeks learning to walk again and newly altered plumbing. At the same time we had an adoption go wrong. Birthmom decided to keep the baby. I guess what I am trying to say is bad things happen to good people. It is a fact of life. I don't think I am cursed at all. In fact I think I am a better person for having gone through it. What you do with the hand that has been dealt to you is really what matters. My uncle recently went through the same surgery and I was able to help him through it and deal with the major change because I had been through it. That was the silver lining in the very dark cloud.....I now have a beautiful daughter from China. All these events lead up to me getting her. Would go through them all again to have her.....Well yeah!!!

Now having said that watch me go whine in another post! Just kidding.......Just the big hair wigs! LOL...... Life handed me lemons and I made Mikes Hard Lemonade!

Holy cow if being bald was so bad in the bible why did God make babies bald? Most are bald! Babies are beautiful!
Wow. Once again, RJ has knocked it out of the park with this topic!

Faith, spirituality, and Scripture is something that has always played a major role in my life. I went to private Baptist, Catholic, and Episcopal schools growing up, and I went to a Catholic college (complete with Dominican Sisters, habits and all!) Interestingly enough, once I learned John 3:16 -- "For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life" -- and Philippians 4:13 -- "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me" -- I never bothered to look for additional Scriptures relating specifically to hair. Sure, I learned the story of Samson and Delilah as a small child in Sunday School, and the first time I ever shaved my head I had people tell me (quite rudely, I thought) that "a woman's hair is her glory" and that nobody would want me because I was bald. Quite honestly, I never liked St. Paul -- I think of all the Apostles, he is the most hypocritical, chauvinistic, self-righteous of all of them.

I think too, that as I've gotten older and more cynical regarding my alopecia, that I definitely have lost my faith somehow. I just feel so angry and depressed all the time, and even studying the Scriptures provides no comfort to me anymore. I looked at the Scriptures that RJ made reference to, and he's absolutely right -- any reference to hair loss is made in a negative connotation -- why else would nuns cut their hair off when they take their vows? Surely if my hair is supposed to be my crowning glory, then alopecia wouldn't exist, would it?

I just wonder how many other people feel the same way I do?
Hi

I am a realist in many ways so religion is something that I don't particular relate to. I would describe myself as an Athiest. I don't like views that hurt people for reasons that seem to be very unclear. The bible has a lot of wonderful uplifting things in it. But what I have found is interpretation can be a major problem.

I don't think the negative things the Scriptures say about hairloss have any meaning that relates to alopecia areata and I don't feel you have to relate those scriptures as a negative in your life. You have stated that you have always found solace in other parts of the scriptures and I hope that you continue to hold those things close to your heart.

Rosy
"I think that the Bible needs some serious revision because as long as we are holding on to the past then we cannot move to the future."

Great point, Jack. Indeed, such a "revision" has been undertaken in our day by a number of scholars who are reassessing, re-visioning, reinterpreting, and even reclaiming the Bible in light of everything from modern science and feminist philosophy.

I've also undertaken my own re-visioning project central to which is the idea and interpretive principle that the Bible critiques itself, as it's an anthology of competing theological and ethical visions.

For example, alopecians as well as others who are demeaned because they're "different" might find solace and strength in the Bible's strain of teaching about egalitarian love and acceptance grounded in the belief that each human is made in the image of God. On this basis, one might say that the only appropriate way to look at another human being is to look at him/her as beautiful, precious, and worthy of being treated with the utmost dignity and respect. God does not demean God’s creation, and neither should we.
For those interested, Mary recently posted a positive commentary on Leviticus, chapter 13. It's titled "Coming Out Bald at the Synagogue: What the Bible Says About Baldness," and it can be read here.
Thank you for directing me to this discussion, rj. I hadn't seen it before. And, thanks for referencing my commentary.
Mary
Hello everyone,

I am suprised that it took me this long to join in this discussion.

As again, before I begin anything, I am by no means with any black and white copies of certificates or qualifications on Biblical studies or Theology. I am raised in a very tight, conservative Christian view in a very conservative asian culture. Living in Malaysia, Christianity is a minority faith comprising merely of 8% of the total population with 70% Muslims majority, 16% Buddhism and 5% Hindusim. Living in this diverse culture and religions, talking about religions is extremely tough and could be convicted on certain laws. Talking about religion is also ultra sensitive on many political grounds, principles and views in the vast liberal culture particularly the United States and some parts of Europe. This could be very sensitive and I urge everyone to remain an open mind and heart to discuss the related topics.

I can feel strong passion and feelings are being expressed on this issue of what the Bible (in particular) has to say about baldness and probably alopecia. The scripture is all God-inspired and eventhough it is known as God's word...its in not 100% literally word of from God himself.

I am a son to conservative evangically denomination and I am still going to the same church. I have been known to be an outspoken critic of my church which has drew me some negative attention and probably some "problem" to my father and also some very controversial statement and "defiant" of the church.

IN SHORT, I believe Jason has summarized my view on Christianity: "if we take scripture as a whole (placing each book and passage together), we end up with a beautiful picture of a God that is incredibly loving and understanding in everything that we might go through in our lives"

There is too much time, effort wasted on the interpretation on certain parts of the scripture, and many church leaders (regardless of denominations) has failed to take the Bible as a whole due to their selective interpretation and readings.

My church spended hours, days, months, years and still unresolved over what I say "petty" issues over one cup or multiple cups for the wine, and over a head veil on women during worship, and even to a point of musical instruments during Lord's day worship.

While I hold my faith on the principles and beliefs of Christianity, I am open minded to all possibilities and welcome all sorts of discussion. Often, my strongest critics are reserved for the christians themselves, which including myself. The greatest group of people that I am most disgusted with on earth is reserved for CHRISTIANS that PROFESS IN CHRISTIANITY BUT LIVE AS IF GOD DOES NOT EXIST!

I myself feel ashame that my LORD whom Himself didnt have a proper bed and house to live in while He was preaching but yet believers like us today who had comfortable beds, rooms, houses...etc.

On alopecia & baldness, comments made in the Bible are only best summarized if the political, culture background when the scripture was written, different time, place and culture were taken in to consideration as it has very extreme variations in the interpretation and often cannot be taken literally.

If we were to taken every translations and words of the Bible literally we would definitely find that the Bible to the the most self-contradictory book ever on earth and ended in a "God" that is just merely created through imaginations and hallucinations by imperfect and insecure ordinary people.

Christianity is an inclusive faith rather than an exclusive faith, everything is good and permissible under God with probably a list of exceptions. Just like in the Garden of Eden, all fruits are permissble and good for food EXCEPT the fruits of the Good & Evil.

When my alopecia statred initially, I wore a cap to a church service and I was told that it is a disgrace for a man to cover his head, later words get out that I have been cursed or did evil in the sight of the LORD. My LORD, how could professing christians utter those kind of words !!!??? My commonest reaction and response to "judgemental christians" is " Since when are you appointed as deputy God?"

If Jesus is to be here on earth today, what would He answer in our question of alopecia to Him? Will He said: "Oh no, you have done wrong and impure in the sight of God!"

Christian must come back to the very basic...on who should be held responsible for children, women & men dying everyday out of hunger and poverty? NO ONE GROUP ON EARTH IS TO BE MORE RESPONSIBLE TO THE DEATH OF HUNGRY CHILDREN EVERYDAY THAN CHRISTIAN THEMSELVES!

After all, what makes us Christians so special that we deserve more goodies of life than those children dying out of hunger and poverty everyday?

What makes Christians so special, that we elevated ourselves in the seat of judgments over the rest?

Whats makes Christians so special, that we can condemn others who simply said that they dont believe in God?

Whats makes Christians so special, that we can tell who is judged and not judged by God? (i.e. Cheryl lost her hair because she has been punished by the LORD, and I have lost my hair because the devil has attacked me?)

Christians are nothing without Christ in their lives!

If it is true that God has said all kind of baldness regardless of the cause and/or intention is bad and sinful, then he is not God or at least a narrow-minded and probably not a thinking/ reasonable God.

I guess the presence of Christ has explained it all, He came to the world is to save and not to jugde (John 3:17), if we christian as Christ's followers who choose to judge others instead of saving and helping others...then...I'm sorry to say that we're not true followers of Christ.

The theory of the Bible / God has contributed to the pro-hair society today (directly/ partly) is unvalid as it is clearly the literal interpretations of several verses/ stories of the Bible without examining the cultural, geographical and historical background on the stories.

Does the Bible need REVISIONS? ABSOLUTELY NOT! But those who read and intepret the Bible whether for the congregation or our personal devotion should re examine our hearts on the whole idea of Christianity!

ROSY, is a good friend of mine for many years. She may have a different opinion as to my opinion of faith, she does not judge my faith neither do I judge her belief as I have lots of self-learning to do. So far, I still find myself no better than anyone else, including the non-christians, nothing wrong with God only my selfishness and anger still found in myself.

I'm sorry that I come out with such a long post. I'm sorry if I have offended anyone...
jt
:) jt I think u hit the nail on the "head"

thank u for sharing
I am glad that someone commented on this and brought up the topic. It is very thought provoking. I was angry with God when this happened to my daughter but eventually had to learn to rest and trust in Him again. It is the only way that I know how to live. I believe that my savior Jesus suffered and understands our suffering here on earth. I am putting my trust in Him and He helps me daily. There were alot of social stigma's in the days that the Bible was written. We live in a fallen world but I do continue to pray for healing for my daughter. The good news is that she is doing great and has not become angry at God. She just wants to help people. That in and of itself is a testimony.
Hi, I am a born again believer. Born and raised in a church that preached hell, fire, and brimestone. We were tormented with scripture to do the right thing. Until I developed a personal relationsip with the Lord, I believed what the preacher said and not the word and it frighted the "hell" out of me. I always "heard" your hair is your glory and a woman is not supposed to cut her hair. Now that I know the "Word" for myself I can rightly divide the word adding nothing to it and taking nothing from it however, my hair may have been my glory but but it was never my faith. My hair failed me but my faith nor the Lord will never leave me nor forsake nor fail me. Yes he does know every hair that is, was, and is to come on my head. He(the Lord) said that I am fearfully and wonderfully made and that I am made in His own image. I could go on and on with this one but I think you get my point.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service