This is my first summer with AU, and I'm trying to figure out how to swim with a wig. My daily wig is custom human hair wig, but I was told chlorine or salt water would kill the hair.
So I'm thinking about getting a less expensive wig to swim in, but I'm curious how "wig-like" it will look when wet? How does synthetic hair behave in sea or pool water?
And what kind of tape is the most reliable? The tape I'm using now is not sweat-proof, so I'm guessing its not waterproof either. Any help you can give is appreciated! Thanks!

Views: 27311

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello, I am a new member that has been living with alopecia for 30 years and have not had many negative experiences but the swimming issue stumped me until recently.  After reading your threads and watching some youtube videos on weaving a wig base, I. bought a $3.99 wig mesh and weaved on rows of synthetic hair (1 pack for $9.99) I only weaved three quarters of the way up the wig mesh and left the crown open (like a balding man).  When I am ready to swim, I wear either a normal swim cap or swim scarf for alopecia over the mesh area and leave the hair hanging down or in a pony tail . You can dive, swim and have loads of fun without worry and be beautiful too. And the bonus is that you made a swim wig for only $14.00 and patience (sewing the rows takes some time).  All the best everyone and I hope that my DIY project helps you to enjoy swimming again.

That's sounds interesting roxy. Can you post some pictures if hour DIY swim wig? Thanks

I am on my way to the pool so these are quick shots.  Forgive my lack of makeup.  

If you are really lazy, grab one of your old wigs and cut the hair at the crown short (about 2-3 inches).  Leave the perimeter hair and you'll get the same light weight finish.

Sorry, but I don't see the pictures. Not sure they uploaded. Good idea about using an old wig. Do you use human or synthetic hair for these swim wigs?

I use synthetic hair because the human hair will get damaged with the clorine.  I wouldn't want to put my expensive wigs through that kind of treatment.  Here is picture.  I will send more when I get back from my swim. 

That's cute. Does it stay on ok with the swim cap? I would love to see a picture of just the mesh cap with the hawk sewn on and no swim cap. Just go see the design.
Thanks and enjoy your swim :)

Yes it stayed on beautifully. Today I fully tested my creation by diving, back flips and back stroked with no issues.  The Nammu cap secured the wig nicely.  The cap is made from bathing suit material so it stays put on your head.  I also tried the wig that I cut the crown off and had the same great results. Here is some pictures of the mesh cap.

That's funny, I just ordered 3 Nammu bathing caps for my daughter a couple of days ago so they should work well.

You did a wonderful job on the caps. How many rows of wefts are on the cap you made and was it hand stitched? do you use the same length weft for each layer or do you need different lengths?

Was it itchy or not?

I know....so many questions but I really think this is fantastic :)

LOL.  I kept one inch between each row and hand stitched it so took me about 2-3 hour.  Rent your favorite movie and just stitch away :).  I used the same length wefts for each layer, then when I was finished I cut the hair so that it is shoulder length. It wasn't itchy because your scalp is wet in the water and the mesh is very light. 

I just got my Nammu yesterday and LOVE it!!!!  I think the Nammu cap is the key ingredient in keeping the hair firmly in place while in the water.  I actually designed my creation with the Nammu cap in mind.

Hope this helps.  Please send me a photo if you decide to make the swim wig.

My daughter swims, surfs, skis in all lace wigs that we get from China. She tapes them on with super tape that she gets from ebay. She washes them on her head and only changes them about twice a week. This has been the best answer for her active lifestyle.

Kate,

Do you order the custom wigs from china? Are they synthetic or human hair wigs? Who do you purchase them from?

My daughter has blonde color hair and places like coopers wigs seem to only have dark brown. Do you buy the wig and then get a stylist to colour them?

I have a suggestion just from personal experience that may be helpful for you and your daughter:

I got a Water Wig by Amy Gibson
Her company is createdhair.com. She has AU and is really compassionate
My wig looks really great I love it I've had it for almost a year
it looks just like my hair and you literally don't feel like you have anything on your head because it's made of all lace
I use tape with it for extra security but if I'm running around just doing errands I usually don't use anything with it but it worked out great, she also has a swim wig which is amazing for active women and children, she even has a video of her wearing it herself sky diving and it stays on! Hope this was helpful! 

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service