I'm experiencing unprecedented regrowth, and want to hear about your similar experiences. I have had AU for almost 4 years now, first onset being in my mid-thirties. Possibly there was a link between my stressful job and the hair loss -- I've been away from that situation now for almost a full 3 years. I've been using turmeric (golden paste - supposedly good for anti-inflammation) in the past few months and that's all I've been doing differently than normal. I have tried about everything for varying periods of time over the last few years!

I now have patches of thick, dark hair coming in all over my head, (not connected...yet?) and I'm growing eyelashes and a bit of body hair here and there. I know from reading, not to be too optimistic or get attached, as it comes and goes. But this is something I haven't seen before, and it's all coming in at once. 

What are your experiences with regrowth and AU? 

Views: 25211

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can you please recap all that you have done using turmeric? I have tried to go through all the posts and I'm not quite clear. My son is 16 and has Had AU for 6 months. We have tried it all. Do you apply the paste to your scalp or just drink it in your coffee? What kind of turmeric do you buy? Organic? Any help is appreciated. Thank you

I've used both organic and regular McCormick spice from the grocery store. Both seem to have the same effect for me. Look up "turmeric golden paste" to cook it for best absorption. There is an online turmeric user group with much more info here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/415313751866609/ - ask to join and you will be added.

I don't use it topically because it stains skin yellow - but I have read that it is good to try it, just have some good scrubbing soap handy to wash off the yellow. I have it in coffee sometimes (but it stains my upper lip yellow :) and sometimes just eat it plain a tsp at a time. I haven't been 100% consistent either. I make a big batch and freeze it in an ice cube tray and usually have about a cube each day. Also, I can't be certain that this is what's causing regrowth, it could also be the marked decline in stress levels, but it is the only thing I have been doing differently. Good luck to you and your son!

Thank you. Yes it's certainly worth a try. Currently he's seeing an alternative health care Dr and taking several supplements. Have you tried this as well? At this point we are willing to try anything

No, I had a regular dermatologist who tried a lot of different experimental treatments like laser and UV therapy. No effect. He even presented me to a panel of 30 dermatologists and they were all stumped. I did take some supplements and tried acupuncture as well, all with no effect. I know it's maddening in its unpredictability, and must be especially hard for a teenager, but hang in there. Someone I just met asked me the other day if there is any cure for alopecia, and I told them the only real cure is acceptance. :) I hope you can find a community of support locally as well.  Being around others going thru the same ordeal can be very helpful and therapeutic.

We've been thru a few dermatologists including "the best" from duke. All they did was prescribe another cream or do more injections. Thank you for your advice. We will try the turmeric. There's nothing to lose!
How has the turmeric been working? I am hopeful this is an alternative solution

Great. Hair is growing in thicker, and spreading from the crown toward the hairline in all directions. I can't be certain that it's caused by the turmeric, but I have been pretty consistent with it since early spring and that's the only change I've made. Best of luck to you, Molly!

That's great. My son has hairs coming back around the neck line but that's it. I'm going to start the turmeric paste and hopefully it will work. He's currently AU

I've had AU for some time now. Some hair was coming back in but all of a sudden I had lost all of it.! Am completely bald now. It really didn't bother me in the very begging but now after 6+ yrs. It is finally getting to me, not having my own hair.  What I do like is I don't need to shave my hair on legs and underarms!

I haven't done anything in way of treatments. What do you do with the turmeric paste? Do you make it up yourself or do you buy it?

I really think STRESS has a lot to do with ALOPECIA.. I've been stressed out when I have a fight with my hubby or else he scolds me for something I had done. Besides being a gene/s in our own bodies.

Sorry that I don't have any other information for you.

I've gotten more hair when I've had more normal sleep patterns, ate better, and reduced my stress and didn't eat gluten. I've been losing some of my regrowth after AU after backpacking in Europe a bunch, eating whatever and not sleeping much (so stressful for the body at least). I think there's a direct link with regrowth and stress.

I m a new member in this Forum.  I m having Alopecia Universallis since Last 6 to 8 months.  Started with Areata around a year back.

Thank You Molly for sharing the golden paste.  My wife has made it for me.  However,  I have one query - you said some where that the paste should be less than one tbsp per Ice Cube.  But Ice cube is normally bigger in size... I did not get this.... ?  Can you please clarify..

After how much time you had regrowth after using the paste ?

I've read that it's good to take it slow at first and increase the dose as you go. I've also read that As long as you don't have any drug interaction or health issues that you can eat as much of it as you want. Check the information here-- please read thru and research before jumping in. http://turmericlife.com.au
The site does talk a lot about arthritis which is interesting because the main drugs that are being tested for alopecia are arthiris drugs.
I've been using turmeric 4 mo now, and have a nice regrowth filling in. Again as I've said there are also provably other factors at work: reduced stress, etc. good luck to you!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service