Can anyone tell me the success or failures of prednisone? I have tried it for a week had to go off but thinking about trying it again. I am desperate

Views: 7381

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

any othher reports on sulphasalazine-Im going to ask my doctor about this
I know someone who regrew from AU on it. But went back to AU after a baby a couple years later. You need 4x a day. I went on it, thought i had a sulfa rash on day 4 and stopped. It wasnt sulpha but I didnt start again.
She is on 3 gms a day which is the highest dose they can give her. Her bloodwork is monitored montly and so far no problems. She was gradually increased to this dose over 4 months and has been on this dose for almost 5 months now. It is a slow process but here is hoping. Google sulfasalazine in alopecia and you should be able to find the study.
Yes, that was one of my major side effects...I felt like my mind was racing all the time...it gradually went away as they tapered my dosage.
Are you still on the 5mg? Higher doses tended to keep my mind racing more, but I did still experience insomnia at lower doses. I took OTC sleeping pills (diphenhydramine-it's another form of Benadryl-for allergies) to help me sleep. I have no idea if these are bad for me or not. I got hooked on them though. I have been off Prednisone since January and I still can't sleep without the pills. I think my body just got used to those putting me to sleep, that it can't do it without them. I have tried to ween myself off, but I end up not sleeping good for days and can't function and I go back on them. Just another bad side effect of Prednisone. Have you seen any hair growth yet?
My daughter was given prednisone for a really bad allergic rash she had. She was only on it for 2 weeks and her hair was coming in fast. As soon as she was done with the prescription, it all started falling out just as fast. I just hope she doesnt lose her eyebrows/lashes again. They had finally grown back in.
I took 50 Mil of Prednisone and within a month 90% of my hair grew back, including eyebrows, lashes etc. I tapered off because Im not sure if the side effects are worth it and slowly my hair started falling out again. Will probably go back on it after 45 days and try again. Hopefully oneday it will just stay. BTW I couldnt get a Doc to give it to me so I bought it online from Mexico. Its risky but oh well...
I ordered it online from mexico and was taking 50 mil for about a month and a half. 90% of my hair regrew but when I tapered off it slowly starting falling out after a few months. I did retain my eyebrows however, I didnt feel any side effects but dont know what long term use will do. I am thinking on going back on again
It worked for my daughter the first time but not the second. She is on sulfasalazine this time and is experiencing patchy regrowth so far after being AU for a year.
I was put on 40mgs a day and only lasted 3 days. I felt weird, almost vacant, numb in the head. I then started suffering from incredible back pain which coincided with starting the drug, not a listed side effect so am unaware what happened there? To be honest id rather be bald than deal with the psychological issues i think would have developed from longer term use of the steroid. I also have osteopenia and am suprised my doctor would even suggest i use the medication. Not for me.

Hi, my daughter has tried this treatment one year after becoming AU, had little regrowth and hair fell back over the therapy that lasted 3 months, 5 days per month of therapy pulsed in the mood. Beware of side effects, for me it is not worth ...

Hi, so when I was diagnosed it was really bad, I literally lost all my hair in less than 2 months (well 98%.. Might as well have been all of it). Towards the end of the second month they put me on a 6 week taper, 40mg for 2 weeks, the 20mg daily for two weeks, the 10mg for 1 week, then 5 mg for 1 week. By the end of the 6 weeks my entire scalp had new hair growth, a couple very small spots took a little time to fill in, then for the next 9 months my hair continuously grew with no new spots, it was as if the Alopecia went I to remission. They only were willing to try the oral presnidone after topical clobex and steroid injections had failed to have any positive result, and not only had I lost almost all my hair but had red irritated bumps on my scalp. Now nine months later my alopcia seems to have returned and I'm have new spots growing spots and hair shedding, this time though they are having my start a course of the steriods without It having to get as bad as last time. Is say at this point before starting the prednisone I've lost maybe 10% of my hair, luckily mostly in back and not on top of my head. Hopefully I'll have the same great results I had last time.
I think every Cass is different but hope this helps.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service