I am the first one in my family to have alopecia and am 29 years old, just diagnosed recently.  I pray that my son and future children will never develop it, the thought  of it breaks my freaking heart. Can anyone with children tell me if your children do or don't have it and their ages...I am now not only panicking for myself, but my offspring...

Views: 268

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi

I understand your concern.  I think the best thing to do is try and keep things in perspective.  I work with many mum's that have alopecia, a small percent do have children with the condition as well.  Nobody can guarantee anything in life and having a child with alopecia or another type of condition is out of your control.  So, let the worry and concern about it go as it is a waste of your energy and care.  

I know for me (I'm a mum with a daughter who does have alopecia), as sad and difficult as this is...we do find our way as you will with your own alopecia and any little people that you may have in future.

Take care

Rosy

dear newlydiagnosed:

please know that I say this with kindness, care and compassion...

First of all I am so sorry that you are having a tough time coming to terms with your diagnosis.

Remember, your children are watching you and- as parents do for their children (consciously or unconsciously) - you are modeling for them how to respond/how to deal with challenge/ difficulty/adversity.  I would be very cognizant of what are your own feelings while dealing with this challenge & sensitive not to project your fears/your panic and insecurities onto your children.  You have an amazing/UNIQUE opportunity to teach your children(by example) how we are more than what we look like; more than our outward appearance... and although we all say that to our children your unique challenge/ job as a parent is to be really real and walk the walk - not just talk the talk.

If this is the most difficult challenge you face as a family, you are blessed.

Continue to reach out for support, their will be good days and bad days- & most important, you are not alone...

Best wishes for health & happiness always.. :)

I have had some form of alopecia my whole life. I had/have au when I had my first son who is now 6, he has au. When his hair first started falling out it was heartbreaking but he is so well aadjusted that he inspires me on a daily basis. He doesn't want to try treatments as he/we believe there is nothing wrong with him. Whenever we ask him if he wants to try a treatment to grow his hair back, he gets upset because he likes himself the way he is. I hope the small chance you could have a child with alopecia doesn't stop since if parents who don't have alopecia or any family with alopecia can still have an alopecian child. I hope this is helpful.
I was diagnosed with AA since the age of 16. It's been 20 years now. I have a son who has a full head of hair and he is now 3.5 years old. His father also has a mild form of AA which he just increases his iron intake to fix. I developed AA after experiencing high levels of stress in my life. So I'm not sure if my son is clear of not developing the disease but so far he doesn't have it.

I hope and pray that if he does develop it, I will have the strength and ability to help him through it positively. Unlike many on this site I am an avid wig wearer and no one knows I have AA unless I tell them. Not sure it's the right way to live but it's the path I have chosen.

There are now 4 generations of my family with alopecia. My grandmother, my father, myself and possibly my nephew.

We have no control over who gets it but we do have a lot of control over helping them cope with it. If my daughter ever gets it I will be sad BUT I will be one of the best people to help her with it and our alopecia community gets stronger every day so that those that suffer will never be alone.

Cheerio

Paul

Technically I have had alopecia since I was a child, but beyond one visit to the doctor as a young kid, it was a total non-issue. I only had small, inconsequential bald spots that came and went, and it really didn't cross my mind to worry about passing it on to my kids. Fast forward into my mid-40s, and I have three young kids and, as of the past year, not much hair on my head. Do I worry that they may express alopecia or another autoimmune disease? Yes, a little bit, but really, what would it change? I don't think I would wish I hadn't had them (well, maybe on some particularly trying days as an overwhelmed mom...just kidding). I am more conscious than I probably would be if I didn't have kids of my own that I handle my own hair loss as something to be open about and not the end of the world. That to me would be the worst, if my little girl or boy internalized that mommy was somehow ugly and distraught, and then I had to try to tell them it was not the end of their world if they started losing hair. I get to model that I am so much more than my hair, and, should one of my kids be unlucky enough to lose his or her hair too, I will just reenforce that message for them. 

I am the only one in my family with alopecia, so even parents with no reason for concern can contribute susceptible genes.

I developed AU seven years ago after battling AA on and off since my early adulthood.  I have three children, 17, 15 and 13 years old, and they don't have any symptoms of hair loss.  I have a huge extended family, and there is no sign of alopecia at all amongst them ... now or in past generations. I am therefore the only one in my whole family, no one before me and up till now no one after me. :)

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service