Hi everyone, 

I just joined the site and I've literally never talked about my alopecia to anyone before, so this is really scary for me. I've had alopecia areata since I was very young, I think my mom noticed my first spots around 3 years old. I wore a wig in kindergarten, but since then, my hair has grown in completely. I have had a few spots here and there over the years, but I've always been able to hide them and they've always grown back. Not even my boyfriend or closest friends know I have this and I'm so so scared for them to find out. I'm now a freshman in college, and my hair has started to fall out very very rapidly. Ive lost about 40 percent of my hair, and can barely hide it anymore. I know I'm probably going to go back to wearing a wig, but I really just can't except it or deal with it. I'm afraid my boyfriend will see me differently and not want me anymore and that my friends will be scared around me. I just wanted to actually write something and say this (kind of) out loud because I really have no one to talk to about it. Id be willing to chat with anyone, but it's also a relief just to type this out and accept that this is real and happening to me and I need to learn how to cope in a healthy way. If anyone wants to share how they told their friends or significant other about their alopecia, I'd really love to hear about it!

-Kaleigh

Views: 3214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hope you find it uplifting that most replies / repliers have shared essentially the same things.  We all have been where you are, and are now in a different place and mindset.  Hopefully, you will accept and be able to cope soon. 

Hello to everyone! 

My name is Toni and I also have AA. It started when I was a freshman in college due to stress. I have attempted to hide it for twenty years. I have worn human hair as well as synthetic and have bonded and used other attachment methods. 

Recently I went to work for the salon/hair replacement studio who was helping me. It has been liberating and I love to help people going through something that I experienced and felt I couldn't share. We also have a support group (in Colorado). If I can help anyone with anything, please let me know. We sell Human Hair, Synthetic and Cyberhair for men, women and children, as well as all of the products needed. Let me know if you have any questions, just want to chat or are looking for hair piece comparisons/options. We have a small staff with a ton of experience as well. 

Have a great night!!

Toni

Hi Kayleigh, I’m new and extremely stressed about this too. I noticed my hair was thinning for about two years now but I thought it was just because I was stressed - or maybe in denial. In the last few months, though, it’s got too bad to ignore. My front hairline has receded about an inch or so after a couple of years of being red and inflamed and I have bald patches above both ears. The rest of my hair is really thin and it’s got to the stage where I can’t do anything with it.  I think the prolonged stress in my life has made it worse - my mum is elderly and lives with us and my husband has just had a heart attack. Anyway, I know exactly how you feel - I have been hiding it for so long and I have just started telling close friends because I know the time is here to buy wigs. I’m especially worried because I am a high school

teacher and I don’t want awkward questions from students! Anytime you want to chat, you can message me. I know hard it is being in this position and I feel your pain.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service