Ladies, I have to share with you what I just found out. Last month I had my IUD, Mirena, removed after having it for three years. I lost my hair last year, Nov. '07. Although I went to many doctors to try and find the reason that I was losing my hair not one mentioned the IUD side effects of hair loss. Well, as crazy as it sounds after just one month I have regrowth for the first time since this happened. So, it got me thinking, could my alopecia been caused by Mirena? Thanks to Google I found so many websites that helped me answer that question. So many women have lost their hair because of this birth contol. I know for many of you this info won't be of any use to you, but please remember my story and you might just save one woman from remaining bald for no reason! And by the way, hair loss is only one of the many awful side effects from this drug; Mirena should be researched by anyone considering it as birth control. I will keep posting to let all know if my hair is really going to come back now! Peace peeps!

Views: 51742

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Many of my Mirena side effects cleared up within 4 months, but I have other factors at play with my Alopecia. I have scrambled DNA and they linked that to my alopecia.  It started before I had the Mirena, but got significantly worse on it. I now have total hair loss, which will not come back, so I can't speak to when you can expect your symptoms to resolve.  I wish you the best of luck and healing. 

Hi Bonnie Thank you so much for the reply. I've had my appointment with the GP as I mentioned earlier and she does NOT believe my hair loss or any of my other symptoms are related to the coil, it's so frustrating when sites like alopeciaworld and many more are showing a clear link with hair loss and the 'Mirena coil'... Thousands of us women are suffering unnecessarily its rediculous! Anyway it's been about 6 or 7 weeks since I had the coil out and my hair is still falling out, not as much as before but still quite a bit and I'm hoping in time it will grow back but we'll have to wait and see, I've still not had any sign of a period at all or the 'Mirena crash' but because I had the coil in for over 4 years maybe I've still got hormones in my system. I'm so glad I found this website I thought I was going mad! Anyway best of luck to you and Thank you
Hi everybody,

Im new here.. Im from the netherlands, so sorry in advance for the grammatic..
its been 6 years ago that my hun implanted the Mirena. Since than i have been losing hair.. 3 years ago i have been diagnosed with alopecia areata ophiasis.. IT started behind my ears, from there iT went to my neck ANd now IT slowly gets to the top.. Im so scarex. Untill know i could cover iT with my OWN hair, But im afraid that ends Soon..

I really didnt know that there was a link with the mirena!! Untill i discovered This forum yesterday. I tried everything to stop the process of alopecia, But nothing helped.. Now i made an appointment to remove Mirena.. I really really really hope that like u my hair Will grow Back..
Could you tell me How much time iT took for your hair to grow Back after removing the mirena??
Thank u for telling your story, you gave me hope!!

XX Hakima

HI Hakima, 

How are you, and how your hair are doing? I am going through the same hell. 

Kind regards, 

Dear All, I am from Poland and have the same story as you all.....I have lost almost 40 % of may hair having Mirena IUD for 6 month. I noticed also other side effects as sadness, skin hives, arthralgia. At the beggining I thought that I am loosing my hair because of stress, not healthy food or life style. I thought that most of the people lost some hair at the beginning of Spring. But it getting worst and worst....floor at my flat is full of my hair, I am loosing most than 100 hair during shower and the same amount during the day. I have lost 40 % of hair during last 1,5 months. I have found a lot of similar stories in web and came into conclusion that the reason is with Miruna. I have removed it on Sunday 25 June 2017. I am in 3 day without is and notice better mood. My hair loss is the same. Please keep the finger crossed that all of them will regrowth. My doctor is very surprised when I told him that the reason for removal is hair loss but I think that most of the women did not connect hair loos sith IUD. I will keep you posted  and bless you all.  

Hello Everyone, All of these stories have been very helpful to me and I appreciate hearing that I'm not alone in this. Here's my story... I got the Mirena 6/5/17 and started noticing hair loss about 6 weeks after. I didn't have any other side effects. At first I thought my hair might be going through a dormant stage or something and I didn't think much of it. After about a month it wasn't stopping. Every time I ran my hands through my hair 3 or 4 pieces of hair will come out. When I shower, it's bad. When I style it, it's bad. The amount of hair falling out is scary. I finally realized after some research it must be the Merina. I had it removed 9/12/17. It's been 2 weeks and my hair is still falling out pretty bad. I'm really hoping it stops soon. How long after removal did it take for your hair stop falling out and for regrowth to start? After I had my son, I experienced hair loss too. But now I'm wondering if that was due to the "low hormone" birth control pills I was taking? Who knows, but I can tell you one thing, I AM DONE WITH HORMONE birth control.

Dorota, DId your hair start coming back?

Hi, I took mine 2 months ago and the fall has not stopped yet. But I think he came back as before. The doctors did me, thyroid tests, antibody, hematology and everything went well. I am very worried, I do not see improvement and I see that many here a month already recovered. I do not know if I give it more time, I do not know if it's something else that causes my hair to fall out. In my family there is no history of female baldness. I am very worried and depressed, I do not know if my caudante was the mirena or is something else. Any advice?

HI, not yet. I have removed Mirena on 29 June and still loosing hair but it is not so aggressive as at the beginning.   I can tell you what I am taking now:

1, I am drinking Aloes juice (pure one from Pharmacy) - 50 ml per day half hour before breakfast.

2. I am drinking nettle juice (pure one from Pharmacy)  - 25 ml before meal - twice a day

3. juice from the purse - pure one from Pharmacy)  - 25 ml before meal - twice a day

4. diatomaceous earth to drink 

4. Biotin - 1 pill per day

5. Saw Palmetto - Solgar - 1 pill per day

6. Vitamid D - 1 pill per day

7. I have bought Kaminomoto  also

All above has been adviced by dermatologist. 

Also one per week: Hair mask with two yolks plus cosmetic kerosene (two spoon)and castor oil (two spoon) - keep on head 15 min - your hair will be lovely. 

After almost three months: I have great skin, nails, hairs are much better but still I am loosing them.

I am also talking Elin (this is polish version of Cilest)

Hi, I took mine 2 months ago and the fall has not stopped yet. But I think he came back as before. The doctors did me, thyroid tests, antibody, hematology and everything went well. I am very worried, I do not see improvement and I see that many here a month already recovered. I do not know if I give it more time, I do not know if it's something else that causes my hair to fall out. In my family there is no history of female baldness. I am very worried and depressed, I do not know if my caudante was the mirena or is something else. Any advice?

I have had the mirena three times since 2005. I did have it out for one year completely and had no issues upon removal before putting it back in for the third time. I did remove this in February 2017 completely and noticed hair loss starting about mid April beginning May which has not stopped since. There are no bald spots, it's just completely thinning so much to the point that I don't even wear my hair down anymore. I always had thin hair but you can now see my scalp and it's so thin that I have to continue to cut it shorter as the months go by. I have tried many different hair supplements and none of them are working and it has been 10 months since removal. I have never had this issue before, even upon removing the IUD before. I'm really freaking out that the hair loss will not stop until I am bald. My gynecologist suggested Rogaine and basically told me they would not do any blood tests. My general practitioner put me on DHEA (to regulate my hormones) after six weeks I was noticing even more hair loss and therefore stop taking it. I don't know what to do...

HI, my hair also started falling out after I took my mirena out.  I had it removed in November (2010)  the following March is when I noticed it was falling out.  By August I had to purchase my first wig.. After many test with normal results, I was happy that I wasn't ill in any way.  Although devastating, I felt it could always be worse, so I bought several different wigs, and basically embraced what I was going through.  I never went completely bald because it did begin to grow back, however it took until the following spring to grow enough hair to stop wearing wigs.  SO in conclusion, I felt that it had to run its course, it did and I have had no issues since. However, I have recently noticed that I am having general hair loss again,  but certainly not to the extent that it was.  I am 47 and am thinking maybe I am starting to go through menapause which would affect my hormones again, time will tell.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service