Ive had AA since I was 8 years old and this year I will be turning 24. Over the past few months I have become tired of covering my head all the time. The wigs are hot and at time uncomfortable. I do go out in my backyard without them and the wind and sun feels great on my head. My husband is completely supportive of me going outside bald and actually prefers me bald. My goal is to go out without anything on my head this summer, but deep down Im very afraid. So I guess my question is, how did you wake up one day and have the courage to out outside in public completely bald?

Views: 3348

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you so much, I do constantly think about all the years I have spent worrying about the reactions people would have because I am bald. Every time I put my wig on I get mad at myself because I just hate them now. I hope I am closer than what I think I am and cant wait till the day I finally kiss putting someone else hair on my head goodbye.

Do not wait any longer ..... Tomorrow should be the DAY not to look around for a wig ..... Infact, why not walk to where you have them and hid them in the closet ..... Then, get a box, put them in the box, address it to "LOCKS OF LOVE" and mail them to them ..... And, NEVER LOOK BACK and NEVER GO AROUND A WIG SHOP, NOR WALK IN TO A WIG SHOP ..... Just smile and pass them by ..... Got my fingers crossed and wishing you the adventure .....

I feel just like everyone here I too wear wigs and I hate it when people while taking to you just stare at your hairline its so rude even at home I never go without my wig my husband makes little nasty jokes about my hair and that make me feel bad I would love to not have to wear a wig all the time but I just cannot have my wig off if its not a wig I tie my head so to everyone here I'm happy that you all feel good of your self

Mallory, your post has touched me deeply.

Confidence will come from within you, it will not come from the support (or lack thereof of others).I will be perfectly honest, your husband is dealing with his own inability to accept your situation, but that is his burden to deal with, not yours.

People are probably not staring at your hairline unless your wig is quite aged, then it becomes more visible, or if it is not placed correctly to reflect your "natural" hairline i.e. too high or too low.

Self confidence is the most beautiful thing - make that your priority and everything else will fall into place.

x

First, I would like to "wish" everyone a "belated" Merry Christmas and Happy New Years 2015 ..... Hope you had a great time and did not over do it ..... Now .... NO, I do not have Alopecia but I had a close friend back in Junior High who did ..... We have lose contact over the years ..... But, for the question ..... I am sure as you got older your friends, mainly your female friends, knew you were wearing a wig, specially if any of them went to beauty school ..... It is NOT your problem but rather the problem of others who do not except you for you and who you are ..... That includes boyfriends and/or girlfriends ..... By thinking, and waiting, you are just hurting YOURSELF and no one else ..... Just get up one morning and do not look around for a wig .... Then, just walk out in the World and be your self ..... And, as they say, "let the ball bounce and stop where it wants ....." .....

Thank You, I know they day will come this year for me because of how fed up I am and when the day comes I believe I will truly be free because Im finally being myself.

Going without any type of head covering is a big step and can be scary. My first step is I walked around bald in a city that I did not know anyone. Actually, I went to Vegas with a friend. Know one paid attention at all. When I came home I only wore a scarf or hat when I felt like it. I go everywhere bald. Good luck and have courage.

After just around 6 months of being bald I happened to be on a bus on a very hot day with a headscarf (I had already got rid of my wig because I couldn't stand it anymore) anyway it was sooo hot and crowded I just took it off, nobody gave me a seat, didn't think I might be undergoing chemo, and when I arrived at my bus stop I wondered for a while whether or not I'd put my scarf back on, I didn't, just walked bald and proud to my house and that was it, the following day I just went out with nothing on and found out people didn't really stare at me. You're very lucky your husband's completely supportive, you should ask him to come out with you for that first time. You can do it and believe me it's great to be able to go out bald. I wore a wig for less than 6 months and now wear turbans (headgear) when it gets colder.

The first year after I went bald (aka Smooth), I mostly wore hats and bandanas. Occasionally, I wore a wig (aka The Rug) and hated it. We were on vacation and I asked my Hubby what he thought about me going "Topless" to dinner. He thought that was a great idea as he didn't like "The Rug" either. He did have one request: "Could you please shave your pit hair." LOL! I had like 10 hairs under my right arm. I was keeping them "for old times sake!" So I shaved my pit hairs and went topless to dinner wearing an evening gown, long, sparkling earrings and a smile! I was Free at last! I haven't looked back since. I still wear bandanas, occasionally a hat, and go topless every chance I get! Sure, people look, make kind supportive comments and assume I have cancer. That's OK! I'm living life and have no time for negativity. Don't be afraid to be who you are. Keep your head high with a bright, infectious smile on your face. Always remember, everyone you meet has a bald head underneath their hair!;))

Back in 1982 when I started shaving my head, I do not have Alopecia but shaved my head when I was in the service, again I was working for the railroad.  Every time some one made a comment to me, I would do something I was taught by my grandfather ..... Stuck a finger in your mouth and wet it, then mark a line in the air ..... When asked what it ment, I told them "ONE more month to shaving my head .....".  When they stopped asking I figured I would be over one hundred and seventy-five years old ...... And, YES I still have my head and hoping to live to be seventy five or longer .....

Just a think of something to make others wonder and do it ..... It will drive them crazy trying to figure out what it is all about .....

My 7 year old daughter is bald from alopecia and i was nervous about her going out in public. When she did it for the first time, she felt so free and confident. She told me not to worry because the only thing that mattered waa how she felt about herself and she felt good and that she was like everyone else except with a different hairstyle.
As an adult, i am sure it may be different. But try and embrace your beauty and feel good and confident. As my daughter tells me, she always has good "hair" days being tangle free. :)

Give her a big hug, for me, and tell her go for it and do not look back ..... Be her self and who she is and not who others think she should be .....

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service