Hi! I've had this condition for 30+ years now. I've never gone in public without my hair. For the first time, after much self discovery, I think I'm ready. I work full time in a large office (400+) people. Only a handful of people know I am bald. Does anyone have any words of encouragement for me? I will probably start with hats and head wraps (scarves) first?

Views: 428

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Beautifully stated!!

Good on you! I hope that one day i have the courage to walk out the door without my wig on. I have been out with headscarfs but not bald. I've only been wearing a wig for nearly 2 years so its still kind of new to me. I've only just accepted my hair loss and finally feel like i'm in a place that i am okay about it. You look beautiful bald, and are lucky you suit it!

Hi Sarah,
I actually have not gone out in public without my wig.. but, I would like to get to that point. So far, it has been interesting for the past 3 days wearing a scarf. Some people think I have cancer. I think it will get easier as time goes on. Thank you for the compliment.

So I was driven to respond in 2 ways: 1) you've been negotiating Alopecia for 30 years... that's incredible... 2) You're beautiful, and a handful of supportive mates in the office is enough so long as you stand by your own conviction

High 5!

I actually feel like I wasted a lot of years worrying about something that really doesn't matter. I am just me - took me all this time to accept myself. Thanks for your support! I really think it comes down to stop worrying about what others think.

Christine, it is all about worrying what other people think. I wish I could get to the point where I didn't care what others thought. I admire anyone who can walk out the door without a wig, scarf, etc., but for me, I can't walk to the mailbox without my wig. I have a very supportive husband who loves me regardless, but I still can't get past this obsession of what others think. So for me and my pity-party self, I'll continue to wear a wig.

Once you do it, you will feel LIBERATION and a FREEDOM you never knew existed.

Hold your head up high and let your confidence shine through.

I wear a scarf now because it is much cooler and the cold air does NOT feel good on my bald head.

I wish you well on this journey.

Cheers

I'm not far behind you in the year factor Christine but like you I don't go out bald...well I did go once to the beach but that was a couple of years ago and I haven't done it since. I have scars on my head too which don't help. It really is a huge leap to go out bald, but in the one time I did it it was very freeing. I lack courage and am probably too ego driven to take the steps you are about to take but congratulations for feeling the need to show the real you and all the best on your adventure.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service