I have AU since January 2016. Was looking into the false/fake eyebrows, anybody have input on positive/negative aspects of them? I feel that it really alters appearance w/ out eyebrows. So depressing, I never thought i would be shopping on line for this. Does the feeling of hopelessness ever get better?

Views: 2278

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've had mine tattooed on and they will need touching up at least once every two years. Medical grade ink is different than regular tattoos. As they fade, I continue to draw them in until time for a refresh. Yes, it's uncomfortable - but not as much as looking in the mirror every morning and seeing none. Get "Model in a Bottle" for when you have to draw them on ... it keeps them from wearing off through the day. Got that tip from another person here ... has been great advice.

Hi guys ,
I developed this depressing condition 4 mos ago. I am completely bald , no eye brows and falling eye lashes .
It's so frustrating . I can't decide on a wig , freedom wig or follea wig , tattoo for eyebrows ?
Feeling devistated. I never ride make up before , and now it seems like I have to wear slot.
Not sure where to start....

I developed AU 6 months ago. I had a little patch of hair loss about 20 years ago, but it grew back and I never thought about it again until a new patch came up in March. My hair started to fall out rapidly at the end of April and by Mother's Day, it was gone. My advice to you is to shop around. Wear scarves in the meantime. A freedom or follea wig is very expensive. If you can afford it, go for it. You don't want any regrets! I felt pressured to buy a wig that I don't like and don't wear. 

hey! I lost all my hair on my body drastically back in april.  it was very hard at first.  but I can honestly tell you it gets better. I was crying every day, and it was hard to leave the house.  No one really understands what you are going through, and it will be a constant struggle.  But, I remind myself every day that I could of lost my hair because of a more serious condition. 

I found wigs.com to be affordable because they always run specials.  I use synthetic right now with a lace front and mono top.  they are the most realistic looking.  people tell me all the time how my hair looks so good all the time.  3 weeks ago I also got the microblading done and it was the best thing I done for eyebrows!

CCV thank you..may I ask how old are you now?

Hi All,

I've had A.Universalis for two years. I'm a 59 year old female. It came on fast and was very shocking.

For the first year I used this eyebrow makeup technique: http://www.eyelineher.org/  Though now I see the blogger (Carly) has just updated her eyebrow technique! I found all of her makeup videos and cheerful nature extremely helpful and very encouraging. As I recall, Carly lost her hair as a teenager.

After a year of using makeup on my brows and finally accepting that they weren't going to grow back, I had my eyebrows and eyeliner tattooed. I'm in the Los Angeles area and went here:

http://elitepermanentmakeupla.com

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the results. She "drew" on individual eyebrow hairs and the subtle eyeliner is wonderful. Now I get out of bed, put on a wig and I look good immediately and feel great. When I add makeup to the tattoos, the results are wonderful.

The tattoos were painful but I will go back as needed for touch-ups. It's worth the discomfort to me. I've had the tattoos for 14 months and they've faded a bit but I'm still very happy with them.  I know non-alopecia women who've had similar tattoos who didn't find it as painful as I did. So apparently pain/discomfort thresholds vary. (FWIW: My opthalmologist told me he sees at least five women per day with tattooed eyeliner.)

I don't bother with fake eyelashes. I wear glasses for distance so I do hide behind them a bit. But with the right eye makeup I don't miss the lashes. My eyes look really good. Plus I now think of my glasses as jewelry, having three styles and colors to choose from.

My favorite wig store:  http://www.godivassecretwigs.com

I spend about $200 per wig (not human hair) and it lasts about 9 months. Then I replace it (with the same style that I'm crazy about) and wear the old one around the house, for yardwork, or on hikes.

The negatives of A.U:

I miss my hair, brows, and lashes :-(

I must be careful when I open a hot oven as the whoosh of hot hair can damage a wig.

The positives of A.U:

My legs are always soft and silky smooth.

In the shower, there is nothing to shampoo, condition, or shave. Lather up, rinse off, done! What a time saver :-)

I get compliments on my hair from complete strangers. That NEVER happened before A.U. (Lesson - find a wig you adore!)

I no longer spend money and time getting "my roots done". I don't miss that at all! And I don't miss getting haircuts.
 That saves a lot of money, even more than I spend on wigs.

It literally takes me one minute to "do" my hair :-) and it looks fabulous.

Blow drying and styling real hair is highly time consuming. Recently a girlfriend visited from out-of-town and I couldn't get over how long it took her to shampoo and "do" her hair. I had forgotten! And by the time we walked out the door, my hair looked better than hers.

Shampooing is so easy. 10 minutes to soak my wig in the sink and then an hour to dry it on a stand in the sunshine or in a warm room.

I hope this is helpful to someone!  Try to stay positive.

Hi Blondie, I just turned 60! i first developed areata about 15 yrs ago and managed with spots for several years,until I morphed into the ophiasis pattern,then AU about 6 yrs ago, I lost pretty much everything but have continued a growth of weird white hairs on scalp my eyelashes come back as these weird super straight white hairs too, which I have to curl or they grow straight down, I want to thank you so much for the info you offered, especially for eyebrows, I've used a pencil and more recently a powder, I like the powder better, it seems to last longer as long as I don't forget and scratch or rub them off. I will check out the videos you talked about. Yes this is so strange but you have a great attitude, thank you for sharing. PS:I'd love to see your favorite wig, I wear a gripper, but I would love other options
Where do you get your wigs from?

I have been buying from Paula young and have in the past gotten Gabor, Renee of Paris and some other one I can't remember.  I have had AU for 33 years and have spent a mint.  I finally found out about Freedom Wigs. Yes expensive but I've probably spent way more that the Freedom cost.  I haven't gotten it yet but I'm sure I will love it.  I live in FL, so hope I don't die in summer with it.  The others are HOT.

my granddaughter who is 14 now just got her eyebrows tattoed.. she has total hair loss and has had to go for a couple of times but she is so confident now.. and the kicker is .. it was free/ they do it for her until she is 18.  they are beautiful and look so real.  we live near Calgary ab.  wish I new how to upload a video .. :(

Hi! I started out with AA, then AT and suddenly I got AU to my big shock.. And I was really stressed out about the brows especially. But I started research online right away and ended up with buying real hair eyebrows:D I've ordered mine at headcovers.com:) they are a bit expensive, but I wouldn't choose anything else:) and no one notice that you're eyebrows are fake:) hope it helps! Stay strong!:)

I had microblading done 3 weeks ago; I love it! The procedure did not hurt; the cost was $350 and took about 1 /12 hours. 

Previous to the micoroblading procedure I either drew on my eyebrows or used fake. Headcovers Unlimited has a wide selection of fake eyebrows; I find them to be an excellent source of head covers, hats, eyebrows, and lashes. 

Good luck! 

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service