Diagnosed AU without trigger: (trying) to cure the natural way

Dear all,

This is my first post. Last September suddenly out of the blue I started losing my hair, and it progressed very quick between 2 1/2 months to AU. Never had it before, On my 45th (!) The only thing I remember is that my hair became more thin when my mother died (I found her in November 2011 she fell from the stairs in her hallway) she had diabetes 2) So i think something to do with the wrong genes (my father has COPD/ asthma and Vitiligo and both grandmothers had diabetes 2), chronic stress, hormones and something with my intestines (painful stool since 2010: sorry too much information hahah) and dyeing my hair blonde too much (balayage, ombre) and i was addicted to Gel nailpolish. (Last year it started with severe headaches (skipped period 3 times and it returned + a got a cold/ flu) 2 weeks before my doctor prescribed vit D, then I got the flu and my skin started itching really bad, also my eyes(blepharitis) A week later I was on a vacation in Bilbao and San Sebastian the shedding began. In the swimmingpool I saw my hair receding and I thought something is seriously wrong. I thought I was going to die!

Did a lot of tests but apart from sensitive skin and AU, the endocrinologist and dermatologist said I have no other autoimmune dissease and they don't know what triggered it. What I notice now is that after losing all my hair my skin is more dry, so I try every day to rub my skin with sesame oil (ayurvedic)and use coconut oil as a night mask.And massage my scalp with argan and other essential oils (I'm a massage therapist) my eyes became more sensitive to light so wearing sunglasses is now completely legit :)

I was wondering if there are more people who experienced the same, 'out of the blue' AA/AU without other severe autoimmune diseases like thyroid or Crohns or Hashimotos or Psoriasis (My skin condition worsened though, had a weird rash breakout 2 months ago because of stress and work in the sauna I think) My skin is also more sensitive to warmth (working in a sauna giving hamams is not so much fun anymore) and more sensitive to scented body and shower oils (even natural) also allergic to some 'perfume mix' not all perfume but certainly perubalsam, Cinnamal.

After it all began, I went natural, reading labels more, food labels + make-up, health and beauty items. Also started gluten free, and prep myself to try GAPS or AIP. Tomorrow I'm going to visit an orthomolecular GP who is specialized in Autoneuroimmunology because I need some coaching to go on this diet because I want to do it right. I don't think that it will bring my hair back but I understand it's better to start the diet to prevent becoming polyautoimmune (more auto immune diseases)

The beginning of this year I gave blood in a clinic in Antwerp to a proffessor genetics for research (for the next generations of Alopecians) I also tried UVB for a few months but it did not help getting my hair back. Going gluten free did not help but, feel better because still managed to have the same weight as when I was 18. If there was a possibility I would start with Xeljanz but am waiting for a safe and inexpensive cure (the professor told me there are liver- related risks)

Oh I'm thinking of trying DCP but the stories I already read on this forum are depressing and scary. Still thinking about it but first going to try and see what A few months on the GAPS or AIP will do

I learn a lot here, I'll keep on reading reading and learning about this strange disease because still trying to cope.

Thanks for all the info you guys.

Kind regards and greetings from Holland,

Gon

Views: 1637

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I started with a heaping teaspoon every morning and it was a few weeks when i started seeing growth. I was too the point where I had given up so i really wasnt paying close attention. Actually when i first saw it i thought it was dirt on my scalp and i started rubbing it and it took a few seconds before i realized it was hair coming in. I continued with the DE and it gradually started coming in all over my head. This was April 2015. Around Christmas i started massaging essential oils into the still bald patches ( mainly Frankensense and Rosemary) and started seeing more growth. I continued wearing my hats because it looked so funky with hair popping up and sticking out, weird lengths etc. So this June i finally had enough to get a real haircut for the first time in 3 years. Its a short bob which  covers the bald areas i still have. Hoping i still get a full head of hair back but the fact that i can go out without a hat and not have people stare is a Miracle for me.Although i still wear hats at times because i do like them! Also to let you know I have areas where my hair is white but i work with it. Also hoping that i get pigment back but i am okay with the white. It has been a long journey and i am happy to get back what i did and hoping that it stays.

Hi Dawn! Your msg gives hope. I'm planning to buy DE and today the postman will deliver the bentonite clay I ordered.
I hope it will do something for me. What kind of alopecia do you have?
I wish you lots of hairgrowth!

Hi Dawn, thanks for your reply. That sure gives hope! I read some other stories from people that saw growth after 6 weeks. So, hopefully it will start working for me sooner or later. I do see some little fine hairs here and there, but not sure if that is the ldn or the DE. I wish there were more stories about the succes of DE and alopecia. I do read a lot of positive stories about it being really good for your hair. I notice that I'm trying to avoid social events, eventhough I have a wig. The wig is not comfortable though. I sometimes wake up, hoping that this was all a bad dream...

Hello Gon,

I also lost all my hair within months. I have had AA basically all my life but have maintained it pretty well some time were worse than others. My hair always for the most part still looked pretty normal. However, earlier this year I started loosing my hair very rapidly within a month and a half I had to purchase a wig, I am now AU with the exception of like 50 random hairs on my  head. I do not have any other autoimmune conditions that I know of. The only thing I can think of that could have trigged this dramatic hair loss is that I completely changed my diet and lost 12 pounds within 7 weeks (I was trying to get ready for spring break). At first my derm really wanted to put me on Predison, I said no. Then as it kept getting worse I called my derm I had her called the Predison into the pharmacy. Well the Predison did not do a thing, almost seemed like it made my hair fall out more. For my check up my derm wanted to up the dosage of the Predisone and I just said no thanks. Oral steroids are so bad for you and the results are usually only temporary. Well anyways, I too am now taking the more natural safer approach. I see a integrative doctor and I got some test done to find out my food sensitivities and, my hormone levels, possible heavy metals. So now I am avoiding my food sensitivities, trying to eliminate any candida, avoiding dairy and gluten, and taking supplements (fish oil, co derm, probiotic, and a few more). Just trying to live a more healthy life style all around. I also just started LDN this week. If you are not familiar with LDN you should look into. I have heard some good things about it and I am excited to see what it has in store for me!

Hi Courtney, thanks for taking time to reply me. LDN is certainly interesting! I've read a few articles about it and I found a youtube link of a girl with AU and PCOS and IBS who had her hair back 90%.( I think have simular problems because from 2010 chronic problems with intestines and I know I have cysts near ovaries. I will phone my GP tomorrow and ask if she can help me to subscribe LDN to me. I already found a pharmacist here in the Netherlands. I think the next time I see the Ortho doctor we will do some tests. And see what we can do about any leaky gut problems. Hang in there where there is a will..

Best and all the luck to you too,may we all grow lot's of hair and not on our leggs if possible)
Gon
Dear Courtney,

I contacted my GP today and she is going to help me with a LDN prescription but she needed to know how much.
A pharmacist here in the Netherlands and they sell 0,25 drops and 1,5 / 3,0 / 4,5 mg (and on demand dosage) LDN-pills .
Can you tell me with how much LDN you started and working up the doses?
Do/ or did you experience side effects?
Now I take every day: 50 mcg zinc, 3 x (25mcg) 3000i.e. vitD, 2xmagnesium, 2x saw palmerosa, 1x fish oil and 2 x biotin.
Tomorrow I'm going to buy l-glutamine because that is also good to heal the intestines. I started making bonebroth and eat raw yoghurt.
Now I have to add the right probiotica, still searching for a good probiotic.

Thanks in advance.
Gon
Hello,
I suggest you Naturopathic treatment which is customized according to your case history as every individual is different and even the triggering factors are different. In your case as the duration of affection is 1year ,you can expect changes from 2-3rd month of treatment and complete cure will take 3-4years. But all this with a Naturopathic combination which is completely devoid of any side effects .
Dear Dr. Heena,

Thank you for your reply. A month agoI went to GP with speciality in orthomolecular/ PNI. He gave me instructions like I mentioned (Paleo and supplements, Someone attended me to take LDN so I'm trying different things.
I'm also reading into probiotics (this week I want to make Kimchi, and I started with raw yoghurt yesterday. Also going to make golden tumeric paste so that I can make icecubes and drop it in herbal teas.

Mine was random, too. 

Keep us updated! I want to take a holistic route to wellness but at the moment I can't afford the correct alternative doctors to help with the AIP diet. I'd love to know more cases and if anything went away.

Hi Rach!
Yes I will!

Today I accidentally took too much Zink ( 2 x 25mcg + 10mcg in a multi vit. pill)and I think that it was too much, I have this awful metal taste in my mouth so 50mcg is more than enough for me.
I think when you read Sarah Ballantynes books (maybe the library or for free somewhere on the internet? The digital Ipad tablet books are much more cheap) that you will manage without an alternative doctor, because from what I read in the reviews the books, they are very positive, the books have lot's of (almost too much) info about autoimmune conditions and how to follow the diet. What can help also is sign up on Pinterest, there you can find lot's of AIP charts and articles and ideas. Important thing is to check if it a (whole)REAL AIP diet recipes. I also watch youtube a lot, if you type autoimmune, glutenfree, alopecia, Natasha Campbell-mcBride and Sarah Ballantyne. and search you find a lot of scientific information for free! I also experiment and also try out things here I read about. we all try and do our best, I see it as a puzzle and a challenge, maybe I will never get my hair back, but to stop the auto-immune attack is the best thing to try. I already feel better and more healthy trying, but this will take some time.
Naturopathic medicine is a scam it doesn't work. There are no natural cures to alopecia. No diet or supplement makes a difference. The only thing that works for alopecia is immunosuppressants and immunomodifiers like prednisone and xeljanz.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service