Has anyone shaved their head in order to wear a Freedom Wig?

I have thinning hair on the top to the point that I need a wig very soon. I'm 38 yrs old with 3 young kids and we do a lot of activities. My biggest fear is of it coming off in public. The Freedom Wigs are attractive to me because of all the things you can do with them, without worrying about it falling off or blowing away. However, I am hesitant to go ahead and shave my head because it seems so scary to me right now. Has anyone here gone and done this?

Views: 3237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I felt sick to my stomach all day and was so nervous on the way to the appt. But I feel now that I'm DOING something about my hair loss instead of watching me lose more hair each month, so it seemed. I'm a bit stressed because I'm not ready to show my kids my head, to be honest. not at that point just yet. i haven't told them i shaved my head, because when i told them i was thinking about it, they all almost cried! i've just been wearing a sleepcap at night for now.

I think i look better bald, at least younger. but i'm not ready to show anyone my head yet. it's too new to me. Deb Fuller left some strands in front of my ears and in the back, which is good because it does help to make it look like I still have hair if I just wear a hat. But it those little strands make me look strange, like i'm real sick or something. i'd look better completely bald, but keeping those strands do help with making the wigs look more real, so i just have to learn to get used to them.
Hi Deb,

Transitions are a kind of shock and usually turn out for the best. I understand what you mean about leaving strands...but honestly, it is odd to leave hair pieces in dangles. You will want to feel like a normal/complete person and having a bald head can give you that feeling.

As for family, the best advice I have is to put on a smile and be as nonchalant as possible even if you have to act a bit at first ....you said your children were young. A lot of talking about it and prepping little ones can give kids something to be worried about.

Try to make your new look the new norm. And when their friends ask (and you might want to prep their parents first that you'll be seen around without hair ) have a little sound bite down that your hair just stopped growing and " isn't that funny?" "But your hair will always grow" is a necessary reassurance as well.

If you need more scripts for specific situations, just let me know. Glad to help with that and scarf/hat styling as well.

Thea
www.BaldGirlsDoLunch.org

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service