i am desperatly trying to stay my upbeat self that everyone always seems to think i am. i am 18 years old and have had no hair since i was 2 years old. i never really cared much about not having hair. i hated when people stared at me, but i just blew it off. however once i turned about 16 i really seems to hit a turn of the worse i started questioning why me? my closest freinds and family started to be like your beautiful withouth hair. and i couldnt imagine you with hair you look better without it. how do you respond to that. do you be all like thank you, or do you take it personally. i know i usually take it as a personal attack like not having hair defines me, that people wouldnt except me with hair. what if i did get hair. the same hair i have been wanting all my life. what if i get it and everyone hates me but i know i will feel beautiful about myself but would it be worth it if everyone else doesnt like it. i have been feeling like i dont know how to cope with this anyone. its driving me absolutly crazy inside. for the past 2 and a half years i feel like my self esteem and confidence has droped so much but i cant let other people see it. i have to be strong . i dont wear wigs because i hate how they feel i hate knowin the hair is not mine. people tell me i am a fake if i wear them. somehow i love being unique and when i wear it and i fit in the crowd it drives me crazy inside and i cant deal with it. i probebly am not making any sence but i just needed to get this out there i just AM GOING CRAZY!! I WANT HAIR. i dont understand why i have to experience this and other people dont. why cant i just have hair of one day! one mont, one year even i dont think i am being to demanding or greedy!

aight well if anyone can share any opions or ideas or insight let me know

stephanie

Views: 31

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hey steph, you r cool no matter what and if you did have hair, you would have to consider cut, colour, washing, conditioning, gel or mousse, straightening spray, hairdryer, straightening irons, brushes and combs, clasps and bobbles omg I loove my smooth, uncomplicated life. Stay positive and be kind to yourself. My mum really loves me wearing a wig but I have stopped cause I dont. I used to wear one to please her but that done me no good whatsoever. Be who you are, Im a very proud alopecian.
Stephaine,
I can totally relate- I always want hair and wonder why me. Why did this happen to me.. But, we have to try and think of the positives.
I wish I had the courage is go without my hair outside, I either wear my scarves or my wigs outside. I can not manage to go without my wig. (I know I need help)
But, we all struggle all the time, we just need to keep positive thougths :o)
Sometimes people don't have a clue what to say so they mumble out anything or miss the point. They like to hear themselves talk, and feel like noble Florence Nightengales when they think they have said something medical or helpful. But very few of US know anyone else with Alopecia, so those haired people are even MORE clueless. Just keep coming on this site to really talk, and politely ignor those who say hurtful things. They will only be informed of the conditions that actually affect their own family members or themselves. You do your own self affirmation, because they don't know how.
hello there to you stephanie, Buddy is the name and I understand your inner feeling as you are expressing it, I go thru it too. It has been since I was 36 that in 3 month I was A.U. BACK IN 1985, I am 60 now look a lot younger than the other 60 year old friends, but it is ok, I have learned to cope with it and all the feelings that come with it. All I can say is when we want hair we just have to put it on and get on with it, i DO THIS THING IN MY HEAD WHEN THINGS GET TO MUCH, here it is..... I DO THE PROCESS REMOVE THE EMOTION, sounds easy, & when you do it enough it works , & I just get on with it & get more done.
I would like to add you to my list of friends would you do that?
Thanks Buddy I hope to add more picyures soon.
Hey Stephani,

I completely empathise with what you're going through. I've been bald since I can remember, and I'm now 23 years old.

I went through some really hard periods when I was a teenager, hiding under hats, not knowing whether to take it as a compliment that people couldn't imagine me any other way. If your hair grows back - people won't like you less. I sometimes find it helpful to turn that around and challenge the thought - for example - would you think worse of your friend if they lost their hair and chose not to wear a wig (or did something that changed their outwards appearance?) The answer is probabaly no - they'd still be your close friend. So - it is unlikely they would treat you any differently.

Your self esteem and confidence will return... Going through what we all have around here - usually makes you a really strong person - and most people are alot stronger than they think they are. You've gotten this far - it's a daily decision to step out of the house in the morning and challenge the world to open their eyes to the diversity of humanity. You're probably at the point where it's automatic now... like me ... but tis still a decision and challenge you take up every day.

One thing I've done in the past to boost my self confidence was getting a friend to do a photo shoot of me. Nothing better than having beautiful photos of yourself to look at. It also through me out of my comfort zone - which is a great way to force yourself to look at your personality and who you are and realise how incredible and unique you are.

I recently bought my first wig - and your words:
"somehow i love being unique and when i wear it and i fit in the crowd it drives me crazy inside and i cant deal with it" - struck me as so true. I'm so used to people doing a double take, or looking at me with curiosity - that when they don't - It feels really really weird to not be noticed. I barely wear my wig now - it makes me more self concious than not, and isn't worth it.

Those days you wake up and want hair - they are tough. I dont' think (for me at least) those days have anything to do with people outside of you - they are just a 'This is not fair! I want hair, for me! -- It almost just this unquenchable desire to touch, brush, play with and own your own head of hair. An experience you've never had, but that you really want. There is nothing to substitute it (even the best wigs).

*hugs* You were okay once, you will be again. Listen to your friends/family when they say you are beautiful - they know you better than anyone. When they say they can't imagine you any other way - think rationally about it - remember when you first put on a wig - how bizarre it looked to have something around your face - they're just trying to express that they love you exactly the way you are - and perhaps can't understand how you can feel so strongly about something they take for granted.

ahh.. hun. What you have said resonates so strongly with my own fears and concerns from a few years past. Hang in there.
You are feeling what you feel. You are being honest with yourself. My longings come in other ways, but I feel pain about my own unfulfilled desires--to look other than I do, to realize dreams other than those I have realized so far. Keep being honest with what you feel and what you desire.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service