So tomorrow I'm getting a visit from CPS. Apparently, the school called CPS on my wife and I for child neglect because my twelve year old daughter has Alopecia. She started losing her hair around January. She's completely hairless now. When we noticed the patches we took her to a dermatologist. He diagnosed her and then gave us some medicine which didn't work. I don't believe there is any form of medicine to treat this type of Alopecia. So the school figured they'd wait until she returned the next year after summer break and if she was still bald they'd contact CPS and file a complaint. We don't treat her any differently. We never ask her to wear her wig or hat when we go out. We try and make her environment as stress free as possible. She's so comfortable now she doesn't even wear a hat or wig at school. Unfortunately she's probably going to get upset when this government employee shows up tomorrow to start asking questions about her condition. So how should I deal with this? Do I allow this CPS employee into my home or just talk outside and how do I deal with the school? Any advice would be great. Thank you.

------

Views: 4019

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That isn't true at all. First and foremost, alopecia is a covered condition under the Americans with Disabilities Act. As such, the school is required to make reasonable accommodations for her in order to integrate successfully with her peers. That includes creating a harassment-free environment in which she can learn. That does *NOT* include calling CPS on an unfounded claim, which this is, especially if the parents have done their due diligence and notified the school of her condition, which it sounds like they have done.

Parents are so afraid of CPS as a whole that they are often woefully ignorant of their rights when it comes to dealing with CPS. The first right is that they do *NOT* have to allow CPS to speak to their child without them present, nor do they have to speak to CPS themselves. Second, the only time the police will get involved is if there is imminent danger to the child if they do *not* intervene. Third, the family has the right, and it is strongly recommended, that they have an attorney present whenever CPS has any contact with them or their child.

Unfortunately, once CPS inserts themselves into a family's life, they and their shadow are there forever - which makes it much easier to "label" a child or her parents and starts a slippery slope of government intervention.

In addition to your child's ADA rights being violated, her rights have also been violated under the No Child Left Behind Act. This incident caused by the school is enough evidence to be able to transfer her to another school where she won't be unduly harassed and CPS won't be allowed to interfere where they are not needed. If you choose to move schools, prior to enrolling your daughter, make sure you cover all your bases and provide them with every bit of printed information about alopecia that you can. Also provide them with the name and number of both your dermatologist and your lawyer and make sure you know that you are not afraid to sue the S@#! out of them or involve the media if they bother your child in *ANY* way.

Unfortunately, taking the high road doesn't work with CPS. You have to play dirty to protect yourself and your family. I wish you the best of luck with this. You will definitely need it!

hej,

I am so sorry that you and your kid have to go through all this.
It is ridiculous, and shocking. The lack of knowledge is so huge, that CPS is called in?
First of all they should have contacted you much earlier, not seeking dialogue with the parents is a big failure of the school.
IF your child has alopecia it is NOT AT ALL your fault.
If youf child is strong enough to not wear wigs that is wonderful and should be encouraged.

Of course, you could easily turn this into a media story for alopecia-awareness, but it is your family that people discuss about, so take care that you and your daughter get through this without being harmed. Especially you need to make sure that your child understands what is going on and why things happen, so she has the ability to react. It might feel good for her to become active (instead of being only a passive subject to investigations) and maybe she wants to tell her class why she has no hair. But you know your child best, so this is just an idea.

I can not give you any advice for the school or CPS cooperation, but the tips written down here before sound vergy good: as much as it might hurt I guess cooperation is the best: the people you are in contact with are no evil people, but they lack of understanding and want to protect your child: so we have to teach them and make them understand that being bald is not necessarily a harm to a child, baldness is totally ok, caused by an autoimmune reaction, not really treatable and heance just another form of human apperance...

i wish you lots of strength,
sending you sunshine and a big hug

Rici*

This made me cry! Please get a lawyer and get all the documentation from the dermatologist you can.

I am a school counselor with alopecia. The next thing you need to do is talk to the school counselor as well as principal. This is so BAD for your daughter. I do hope she is a mature 12 year old that can handle this interview. She must be knowledgeable about the condition and able to converse with adults about it. I can't believe that not one adult at the school asked you about it! That should have been their first step!!

Anyway, CPS has a lot of authority in my state. If it were me, I would invite them in, give them literature I have printed out concerning Alopecia. And then respectfully explain the condition to them. If they have never heard of it, refer them to NAAF or this wonderful site we are on. But if they persist in the abuse end, I would contact a good lawyer. This needs to go NO FURTHER than an interview with you and your daughter.

Interestingly, I am a House of Delegate member in WV. We are investigating Crimes Against Children to change some of our laws. Working with the State Police to change them for the better. But I am getting many CPS complaints as well. This just added more anger to my cause!

I am impressed, Linda. I work for the Senate of Pennsylvania (staff), and we, too, are in the process of changing some of our state laws relating to child abuse. CPS also has a lot of authority in Pennsylvania, and we get complaints from "innocent" families who end up getting harassed by caseworkers who don't like the family for whatever reason. I used to believe it was a "racial" thing, but we get more complaints from Caucasian families, so I know it's not stictly race, but "power tripping" with many caseworkers who are inadequately trained. ANY degree...any degree at all -- can get one a job as a caseworker, and that needs to change.

I heard the same types of complaints about cPS workers in NY when I worked in the inner city community. sad..

I use to work side by side with CPS so I wanted to share a few thoughts. The thing with CPS is that they Have to investigate all reports made (especially from a school) no matter how bogus a report may sound to them. It's the way the law reads, at least here in Indiana. They are simply doing their job and they can actually work to your advantage. I say, be kind, let them in and educate them on alopecia. Then make an appointment with your daughters school to educate them. You alone can pave a smoother ride for other children that walk in that school system with alopecia. And that's how I would explain it to your daughter as well. I feel the way she sees you handle this will help her learn how to handle having Alopecia within the public. It isn't fair to be treated this way, but if you can set it straight rationally I bet they will all be ashamed of themselves.
All the best,
Barbara
I would have a letter from the doctor stating she has Alopecia and what it is and also stating that there is not a cure for Alopecia and that it is best to allow the youth to play a part in the decision making if they want to try the painful shots and other treatments like burning creams etc but .... That these options usually only have temporary growth. I would share that you have involved your youth in the decision making about whether she would like to wear a wig and that you have open communication as to if she is being bullied at school. You might also have print outs about Alopecia and how many chose like my daughter Kayla Martell who was Miss Delaware to not always wear a wig as she didn't wear one all through school and was still successful and led a "normal" life as she played sports was in chorus, speech and debate, dance team, etc. maybe suggest having a local Alopecian come in and speak to the staff at the school and maybe schedule an Alopecian motivational speaker for the kids focusing on self esteem and how we are all beautiful despite our differences and Alopecia doesn't define who you are. There are famous actresses, models, authors, beauty queens with Alopecia

There are a lot of negative comments here. Just let them in be honest. Get the medical records from all visits and give them to CPS. Its pretty easy and they will make notes and talk. Then go to the office and request a meeting with the principle, accusing teacher and the school superintendent. Discuss how they should have approached you first and how they need to apologize to both you and your daughter formally.

I like the idea of requesting an apology. you deserve one.

She can refuse to answer any questions unless her parents AND lawyer are present. Notify the Dr. IMMEDIATELY and get a letter of diagnosis. If the school has previously taken issue with your daughter's condition and been told of her diagnosis and has proceeded to pursue a complaint SUE THEM. I have 20 years experience as an advocate for families that are abused by social services (more common than most people think). This is an outrage and violation of your rights and privacy.

Get a lawyer. I used to be a cps caseworker and then became a lawyer in family court. I am not practicing now so i won't help you. Also get some note from your dermatologist. Be careful what you say. Admission to recreational marijuana use is considered a big deal. Get any prescription pain killers out of your medicine chest.
The best lawyer is one who is practicing there daily. They are usually located next to or near your county's or boroughs family court.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service