Lets start with this, a photo before I even knew what Alopecia was.
So mid year 2015 I noticed some patches of hair missing on my scalp.I just blamed my hardhat for it and never thought much of it. They progressively got worse until I had to shave my head in April, 2016.
I went to a Dermatologist got a bunch of topical creams and told it was fine and was from stress. Essentially they don't know why it happens and have no reasoning, so they blame it on that. After that I did some digging and went on a PALEO diet for 12-14 months(zero alcohol consumption). A solid 10 months at 100% compliance.
I also spent 4-5 sessions with a Naturopath, I added L-glutamine and probiotics to my diet. I had 80% regrowth of the hair I lost on my scalp. But the other 20% would not grow any hair and remained bald, so I still shaved my scalp.
I never had AU at this time. I got discouraged and just went off the diet all together and resumed consuming alcohol. About 12-15 months later and no regrowth, numerous blood tests, trips to the dermatologist, and now more hair lost on my scalp I also lost all the hair on my arms/legs/majority chest/partially in my armpits.
I spent alot of time learning about Leaky Gut. So in this day and age an ad popped up on my Facebook for a leaky gut video. I watched the 90 minute video. After that I bought the E-book(The Plant Paradox - Dr.Gundry) for $11 and read the 300-400 page book in a 3 days. I decided why not, the logic behind the science in the book made sense. It explained why i had 80% regrowth on my paleo diet, but not the 100% I so dearly wanted.
So i started the diet, 5 days in, I had regrowth on my scalp in the original spot that I lost hair and has had ZERO regrowth since that initial falling out phase, until now! About 14 days in I noticed my scalp is fully complete with hair, although not all the pigment is there. It will come in time as I learned on my first diet. My arms, legs,armpits, chest have started to have hair return to them. All white/peach fuzz in color. As of writing this I am on day 38! I have followed the diet 99%. I sometimes get a craving for honey. Which isnt allowed in the phase I am in. These are the most recent pictures. I wont post the ones of my arms/legs/armpits/chest.. because the peach fuzz is extremely hard to see in a picture and the light angle has to be good. BUT THEY ARE THERE AND GROWING, which I haven't had a single strand of hair grow on before this diet after they originally fell out.
wow great hair
Thanks :) I was not letting alopecia win! How have you been?
Well interestingly enough I am starting to go into remission after losing 99% of my hair in the matter of weeks last year. Things I believe is contributing to it is my change in diet. I'm doing keto and eating healthy fats and grass fed meats. I cut out gluten (cheat occasionally, like a dessert) and my IBS has improved ten fold. No longer do I go to the bathroom 10 times a day on average. So that made me research autoimmune and vitamin d kept popping up. I checked my vitamin d and it was critically low at 28. So after changing my diet and supplementing with vitamin d/k2 im starting to see some serious regrowth on my head and face. I was completely bald/hairless just a few months ago. So this is a great sign.
Hey!!! That is awesome! I take a high dose of vitamin D to! I have been taking 10,000 IU's for almost 2 years! That is great work and it will continue to get better the longer you stay on it! I am happy you are having results and feel better with nutritional changes!! :) What is happening in your body is that you are healing your leaky gut and now inflammation is lowering in your body! :)