My 17 year old daughter was diagnosed with Alopecia Areata. Her first experience with an off-the-shelf wig was terrible - it hurt her scalp and she refused to wear it after a few hours. That set me back $400. We went to another custom wig maker here in Melbourne and for a lace wig with natural hair, the price quoted was A$3500.

For this price they have a strictly 'No returns policy' if you're not happy and just a 3 month warranty. Then they also mentioned that we'd have to get the wig dry-cleaned+reconditioned every 2 months for another $89.5. That is such a rip off price, unfortunately getting ripped off appears to be the norm here in Australia.

Could anyone please help me and provide me with some alternative options of getting a custom wig made in the US and then having it shipped to me? And typically how much can I expect to pay for a custom made wig? Thank you so much.

Views: 2944

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi all - I too ordered a Freedom wig, and it is the greatest thing that has happened to me since this whole AU nightmare began. I bought several other wigs which were too itchy to tolerate, and never felt ok in them. Plus in my windy state, they would even blow off! (not fun) This Freedom wig was so worth the money - it looks totally real, no one can tell, even up close that it is a hairpiece. It is soft, comfortable and doesn't come off. I love it so much. I highly recommend them! Good luck

I hate that they charge you three times the actual cost of the lace wig in the US when if I order direct from China, I could get it much cheaper.

Hello...living in TX are they hot to wear?

Dear Mel Many other options.. Why did you want to go for a custom wig-was it because someone said the cap would be softer or because your daughter has an unusual sized head.
about the scalp- many people find that a wig cap is harsh for several hours or days. With a synthetic wig many people wash it right away and then the cap feels better.

Seems like you want human hair. Unless your daughter wears extremely long hair, you should be able to get a wig from Fortune Wigs in Brooklyn New York for a good price. they make size small caps at no extra cost. They have wigs from Asian hair that is often called Mongolian-so a nice texture but a lower price. Or you can get a European human hair wig from at a higher price.

There is a video on the web site of Designs by Flora that explains how to wash a human hair wig. Getting a wig dry cleaned-or even washed by a salon every 2 months is rubbish. All of us wash our own wigs. You just need sulphate free shampoo, a Styrofoam head and some pins such as quilting pins to attach the wig to the head.

Designs by flora is very well known, but not sure if her price would be better than what you were quoted-if you are getting a very long wig. that is why I mentioned Fortune wigs. But if you spent $3500 at Flora's you would be getting a completely guaranteed virgin human hair wig.

I'm not sure what you mean by "natural" hair. That could be anything including processed Asian hair which should cost about $800. There is one of the big name companies, that sells lot of synthetic wigs, but also that is selling hh wigs for around $1,000-these wigs are made with both Asian hair and indian hair-and have the reputation for being more wavy-and pouffy-if your daughter has bio hair in that texture then she might like these. That company is Jon Renau.

Most important is to line up a hair stylist who knows how to thin a wig, and has the courage to do it, as well as cut in a style. Most wigs have too much hair around the front .

Also most human hair wigs need to be trained, when wet, to go back away from the face. Many use clips or twist the hair back while it is wet. I have short styles so not such a big issue.

If your daughter want s wig that has a cap like a lace wig, the closest I can think of, in good quality EHH, is a Gemtress wig. they have some caps for people who are completely bald and some for those with some hair. Check them out also. There has been a thread on here about Gemtress wigs if you do a search for it.

Good luck. Ask more questions

Hi

I know that there are many choices out there but in my personal opinion nothing I have seen comes close to having all the features and benefits that freedom does for my daughter. I think that people's opinions while very helpful are just that - their opinion. Everybody is different and sometimes people just don't know what they don't know. (Me included) :)

Wig buying has many components to it and it can seem like a necessary evil. One in which people find themselves lost in. The choices are varied with very different approaches being used by wig sellers and wig manufacturers. You will find that the majority of wigs are manufactured and mass produced in China. Most of these wigs will be marketed under different 'middle men' names. Often sold in salon type situations. With variety being the selling option. These wigs are usually sold as a hairstyle, with a little information around cap type etc. For me, even though style is important the needs of my daughter went a lot further than these type of wigs could supply.

I have had the good fortune to be able to see and check out most wig types in the market in the last 10 years. I also have the mindset that I would buy any wig that I felt or my daughter felt would work well for her. I have investigated most options available and keep coming straight back to her Freedom Wig, because my daughter has very real needs around her wig. Her wig cannot be just about hairstyle, it has to be something that helps her manage her hairloss in a positive way. She needs, comfort, easy care, security, hairstyling options, longevity and durability. It has to move and look like her hair - I have never ever seen wigs that move and look like a Freedom wig. If styled well, they are beyond beautiful. There are many different components that both her and I worked through to get a wig that helped her move on with life. I can't stress how much the Freedom Wig and the people that look after those that wear freedom wigs have meant to me and my daughter. I know without a doubt her life would have been very different in another wig option.

If I thought there was something better available for you or for my daughter I would be telling you and my daughter would be wearing it. The fact is she wears Freedom.

I hope this doesn't come across too strong, but I know that your daughter is 17 years old and I know how important this decision will be for her.

Rosy

Wow, so many responses. Thank you all so much :) I will definitely go through each of your suggestions carefully. Freedom Wigs sound ideal. My daughter wears a short blunt with a fringe and has black hair. She never styles her hair.

She is very upset with having to wear a wig and is trying to postpone it. So far her patches are hidden by the medicine and hair covering the patches. She says her hair has stopped falling - nothing on the pillow and around 5-10 when she runs her fingers through her hair. The hairs on her eyebrow have started growing (very faint but can see a very fine hair).

I will wait and watch and in the meantime be ready to buy a wig. Could you please give me an indication of the cost of a freedom wig and how long it takes to deliver after ordering?

Thanks everyone, really appreciate all your help :)

Hi

I can understand how your daughter and possibly you are feeling. When my daughter was diagnosed at 12 we didn't give up on her hair growing back until the 11th hour (I think she only had about 10% of her hair left when I seriously started looking at the hair option available).

It does sound like your daughter may be going into remission, which is very good news. So a wig may not need to be a consideration at this time. I hope that is true for her.

If not keep doing what you are doing and investigate with her on board, what you both feel will help her the best.

Good luck with everything.

Rosy

Hi, I have my own custom wig business and live in Brisbane. I work strictly one on one and by word of mouth and Facebook. I know the place in Melbourne you're talking about. I can order a custom wig for around $300-$500 from my supplier depending on length and number of colours. Happy to discuss 0466 222 837. Or Facebook undercover angels, Danielle :)
Whoops I should add they are full lace human hair, and I've had AU since 4 (30 years).

Wow, thank Danielle! Just straight, black hair, jaw length with a fringe in the front. Could you please send me a message with your email address so I can correspond via email?

Cheers

Hi - sorry about the delay i dont get notifications of messages grrr, wilsondanielle@y7mail.com

Black is definitely in stock and would omly take a few days to ship, but i suggest to all mu clients to take it to a hairdresser to have styled if you are after a particular style and to have a fringe cut in as they come with the natural baby hair hairline so you can pull it straight back, or if you are bold enough cut it yourself as i do :) ill get an exact quote for you. I do ask for payment up front as i have to pay my manufacturer also but i will provide a tax invoice and if you are really unhappy you can return for a refund. You will need tape also but i think i have a couple in stock which are $9.95 or you are welcome to purchase your own or glue elsewhere :) my number is 0466 222 837 if you would like to chat!
I order mine online and I got a full lace 20" human hair wig for 175.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service