Hey all,

The other day I was waiting for a bus, and I noticed a woman glancing at me consistently - she'd look and then look away. I kept trying to catch her eye so as I could stare her down and let her know I wasn't impressed by her looks- I'd had a bad day and I was in no mood to be the object of some stranger's curiosity.

After a few minutes she actually came up to me, and as I prepared myself to do the whole, no I don't have cancer, or no i didn't shave my head, she said:
"Wow, that really suits you. I wish I had the courage to shave my head. You're beautiful, it just looks really good on you".

I was really quite taken aback, and as I explained about alopecia she continued to exclaim about how beautiful it was.

Although a little odd, these comments from a completely strange helped me feel alot better about myself than I had all day.

I was wondering if others have had similar experiences they'd be willing to share....

Views: 14

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually just this weekend I was out at a bar celebrating my birthday. I wore my wig to the bar...but after only an hour of playing darts, I was hot and uncomfortable. I changed into a bandana and didn't give it another thought. Well later that night a guy came up to me and said "you look really good in that bandana." I was so shocked! I said, "OMG really?" And he said, "yeah totally." I told him that that really made my night.
I've been experiencing (?) this several times and it feels great!

The last time was when I was standing in queue at the Liquor Store (in Sweden we don't have the chance to buy wine or beer in the supermarket, we have to go to certain stores...) and a woman behind me told me how good I looked. :-) I didn't know how I to meet such a comment, but told her a bit about alopecia. She didn't seem to interested though, but I noticed that some other people around us listened. Maybe someone of them went home to talk about "the bald chick in the queue". :-)
Wow thats amazing! I have had a few comments but all from within the modeling industry, never from a stranger!
I'm not sure if it's the tattoos or not, but I get comments all the time about my head. Most of them are positive comments but I do get the occasional ones who look at me like I'm some kind of Alien!! But, just yesterday, a woman came right up to me and told me that she thought I was absolutely amazing. She had read the article in the newspaper and thought it was wonderful that I put myself "out there" and she knows that I most likely have helped thousands of women realize that being bald isn't something to hide it's something to embrace and show the world how beautiful we are!!! She gave me "kudos" and walked off with a big smile. I was with my daughter and she just smiled and winked at me. (She's used to the attention I get!) . Also, my daughter is in her last semester in college and wrote a paper about Alopecia, and posted a picture of me with it. The comments that she has received already are so great. There are no negative ones and a lot of them know someone who has it and wishes they were as open with it as I am because they are still as "beautiful" as ever and more so!!! I really think that times are slowly changing and I will continue to walk proudly as an Alopecian with my beautiful bald head for all the world to see.
Love and Hugs,
Dotty
That's such a great experience!!!!
I HAD ONE OF THESE EXPERIENCES TONIGHT!!!!!!

I was at the drive thru at Wendy's and I had a baggy sweatshirt on and nothing on my head. I pulled up to get my food, and the guy told me it would be a minute and said "sorry dude". i said, "no, it's cool" and my voice gave me away. He apologized...

i said it's okay, shaved head throws everyone. He told me "You may be the hottest woman i've ever seen. You rock that bald head with pride, it looks f***ing awesome."

I was FLOORED!!!!! I drove home feeling like a million bucks. (doubtful it would go anywhere, as he looked like he was about 16.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service