I have been thinking about trying accupuncture for a while. Has anyone had luck with this?

I actually feel like I won a small victory with GNC's Hair, Skin & Nails supplements. Recently I began to lose my eyebrows. I started losing the hair out of my left eyebrow only, and very slow. Finally, once the entire brow was gone, the right one started to go. Not too long after that, I began taking the H,S & N. To my great surprise, the hair stopped falling out! I have been taking them regularly every day since then. A few times I slacked on taking them for a few days and immediately noticed a couple of hairs coming out. Now I'm not a professional or anything -- and we all know that Alopecia is different for everyone -- but for me this seemed to have halted the hair loss. At least it did for my eyebrows, and I haven't lost any more hair anywhere. I just thought I would share this in case it can help anyone else! You never know!

Views: 841

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I tried a lot of different things when AU was new to me. I haven't tried accupuncture but I did try a loooot of stuff. Obviously, nothing worked for me. lol I tried taking Vitamins and also this natural drink thing. It was this powder that you mixed with a beverage. Well..not only was it disgusting, it didn't work! The only thing that worked for a little while for me was the cortizone shots.
My daughter has been seeing a Naturalpath (?sp) who feels, like us, that her hair loss was triggered by her ammune system going haywire. He has her on a natural supplement called "Sterol 117". She still has no growth on her head, other than some fine, non-pigmented peach fuzz, but her eye brows have finally returned and there is some slow regrowth of her eye lashes. I'm satisfied that there is nothing in it that is causing her any harm, so we are willing to keep trying it with hopes that it will continue to help her. The eyebrow growth we have seen could just be coincidence but when we stopped for a couple of weeks, there was noticable thinning again.
When it comes down to it, she is beautiful and perfect as she is and it's just not worth any possible harm to experiment with hopeful gimics.
Where did you find that supplement? How old is your daughter. My daughter eyebrows are gone and lashes..She is under treatment, but I am wondering what this is..Cindy
Hey Cindy,
Lynnea is 2 1/2, lost all of her hair, eyebrows, most of her lashes... at 8-10months. We picked up the Sterol from a local Naturalpath Dr., but I've found it in health food stores aswell. The main thing for my wife and I was that any treatment had to be safe and pain free. She has no hair, but she is health and happy. We aren't willing to sacrifice either of those for the hair.
Good luck.
Hi Graeme!

Are the sterols still working? I've read about plant sterols and heard that they may help alopecia. Please let me know how they're working if your still using them and where I can purchase some for my daughter. My daughter has lost all her hair over the course of about 6 months. She's going to be 13 and going into the junior high where as you know kids can be cruel. I like the idea that this is a safe natural supplement. Let me know. Thanks
can i ask where you've purchased them? im not sure if there is a website that sells them cheaper than what i've found.
My Tattoo Artist suggested taking Biotin so I bought some today. I also work with a Nurse Practitioner who told me that after her sister had a baby she developed alopecia and used Botin Shampoo which apparently worked for her.
Hi Ashley!

(BTW, hope you didn't get any damage at your home -- heard about the tornadoes in the ATL and was down there that Saturday and thought about you!)

I've been taking vitamins for years; the only thing that I have noticed is that when my hair does grow in it is extremely healthy and strong, which allows me to color it however I want. As far as stopping the hair loss or bringing hair back, in 26 years I've never noticed any type of improvement or worsening as a result.

Unfortunately, because alopecia is SO unpredictable, what may work for me may not work for you and vice versa. Good luck with the acupuncture and the vitamins -- let us know how it turns out!!!
No damage to my home, but I was downtown standing outside the Georgia Dome when the tornado came through! It was a crazy experience, but we were able to take cover. We were all very lucky that that basketball game went into OT, because had it not there would have likely been many more injuries...not to mention fatalities. Who ever heard of a tornado tearing up a downtown area??!
Actually, there was a tornado on April 16, 1998 that went straight up the main street in Downtown Nashville, jumped the Cumberland River (ironically where LP Field is where the Tennessee Titans play now) and completely destroyed East Nashville. The residents are just now to the point where they are totally recovered from all the damage, not to mention that downtown took several years to recover. We only had 1 fatality in that one, but it's not unprecedented. :)

How is the acupuncture and vitamin therapy going for you???
I just recently started the corticosteroid injections and seem to be working. Or at least on my scalp, the only frustrating thing is that for every one of them that regrows another spot (even 2) show up. I'd never had eyebrows but had them inject my eyebrows and they actually grew. It was short lived though, they started falling out so now I have varying amounts of eyebrow on either side. Luckily I'm blonde so you can't see unless you get close. Your vitamin experience makes me want to try it to see if it keeps the new spots from forming.
My daughter has developed AA and I have AU. I went to the health food store and they suggested Biotin. They say it promotes hair growth and opens the folliciles. I also brought her a supplement that had biotin in it to take mouth and the shampoo. we will see. Yokasta makes a point we are all different. She is reacting to topical treatment which I never did and so hopefully the supplements work for her. I am not using anything because at this point I could care less. But I pray that this works for her.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service