has anyone tried squaric acid? i have heard it sometimes works and am wondering why i haven't seen any mention of it on this site yet? thanks for your input!

Views: 1932

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From personal experience...Stay AWAY! Remember this is only a treatment....not a cure! Most cases will lead back to having Alopecia Areata. I used Squaric acid about four years ago....i applied it once a week for about 6 months. It was very uncomfortable and very painful. I did however get significant hair re-growth.... in fact, I got so much re-growth that I was able to grow my hair back out. As I continued to use the squaric acid my body began to develop a tolerance and I was put on the highest concentration the dermatologist could prescribe. Unfortunately, my body stopped reacting to the squaric acid and it seemed my immune system which had been actively attacking the dermatitis had now turned back toward my hair with full force. By full force I mean I lost ALL my hair in about 2 weeks. It was devastating.

I would recommend you look into Dexamethasone. However, depending on the severity of your AA you may be better off using other treatments. Talk to your Dermatologist. I used Dex. following the loss if all my hair. I got probably 90-95 percent re-growth. But as they say...everyone reacts differently to treatment. Good luck!
I am going to start squaric acid treatment. There have been some who have had complete hair regrowth and have kept it. It is worth a try! Wish me luck!

Anyone know how to find dermatologist who does this treatment in Sacramento,ca. A few years ago, I spent hours on the phone calling dermatologist and ended up a crying mess of frustration. My 12n year old daughters alopecia is still just spots, but those get large and a couple have refused to grow back over the last 1 1/2 years of using a topical which had worked before. I'm thinking of using squaric accid if I can find Derm that does more than pimple popping and Collegen injections!

Hi, Lillian. I don't live in California, so I can't answer your question on squaric acid. However, have you considered getting cortisone shots? I started them when I was twelve, and they were really pretty manageable. More important, they worked. I used cortisone shots for almost twenty years, and my alopecia stayed in control. Even now that I've gone AU, my hair will regrow in places I've had injections. I've never tried squaric acid, but it sounds really painful, and so I think shots might be better. Also, a question for you Lillian: a few years ago you posted that your daughter had fatigue, headaches, low DHEA, and normal cortisol. Did you guys ever get it figured out? Did they diagnose her with a problem? I have all of these same things, and my doctors tell me I'm fine. But what really bothers me is that I went from being mostly-fine-with-hair to really-tired-with-no-hair about five months ago, and I think there has to be a connection between my fatigue and my greatly-exacerbated illness. If you have any insight, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

Been there, done that. The cortizone shots hurt like hell and kept hurting. We did them for 3 months when she first developed Alopecia 4 years ago. Her hair grew back then fell out 2 months later. Lillian has never suffered from fatigue. Far from it, she can catch 5 softball games in a single weekend and still be jumping around. She's healthy except for her alergies, asthma and alopecia. Oh, and slight scoliosis. We found that out last year. She's my high maintainance child.

Hi there Lillian my 13 yr old started sadbe a few months ago. We carry out the treatment once a week at home she is on a low dosage 0.005% and we have been given the go ahead to increase to 0.01% as she is not reacting as well as she used to to the lower dosage. She does not have unbearable itching.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service