Okay I felt that this discussion was much needed. I'm looking through various blogs and discussions to find wig info...thought it would be helpful to start a discussion that could help keep it all in one place.

I know NOTHING about wigs! And I think it's time to start looking. I hear things like...lace, vaccuum, monofilament...I don't know what these things mean! Can someone please help with sort of a Wigs 101 intro to different terminologies like these?

Also, let's all list good websites to go to, brand recommendations (with links), etc!

This will be sooo helpful to me, and I'm sure to many others. Thanks for helping!

Views: 1906

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Mandy,
Although I can't say I know THAT much about wigs either, especially when it comes to all the names and specifics and stuff like that, I do own 3! =) I love my wigs, and I seriously don't know what I would do without them. I think the most important thing is that you find the one that suits YOU. Who really cares what brand or whatever..if it's real hair, or not. For the most part, I think wigs look really great, and people usually can't even tell when you're wearing one. People can NEVER believe that I have one on. Anyway, just go to a wig store and try a bunch of different ones on. It's kinda weird at first, but once you get comfortable, you'll love it! And it's kinda like what they say about wedding dresses...once you try on the one you're supposed to have, you'll just know it. lol. But just keep your options open, try different styles, lengths, and stuff like that. You will find the one (or more) that you feel best suits you and that you feel the most comfortable in. Your options are really endless. So, good luck and please let me know if you have any questions! =)

Mine wig is around 2 year old and it still looks awesome. i bought from https://shop.wigsbuy.com

HI,

I have had AU since I was 7 and have tried all the wigs out there. The type that lets you lead the most normal life possible is a vacuum wig. They are custom made and tend to be more expensive but are worth every cent! They do not come off unless you take it off, so you can walk in howling winds, swim, hand upside down and it wont come off! Mine is from http://freedomwigs.com/ they supply their vacuum wigs to agents all over the world. On the site they will have agents contact details somewhere near you. They are real hair so you can cut, style, straighten them as you would normal hair. They don't look "wiggy" like some acrylic wigs look like and they come in a variety of colours, thickness etc. Other wigs sometime come very thick and can look too heavy. Take al look at my pics on my page, they are all freedom wigs I am wearing. Good luck!
Fitzy... I have a few questions about vacuum wigs. Is it difficult to care/maintain them? On average, how long would you say each wig lasts? Thanks! :-)
Hi, It varies on how well you look after them, and they are rather low maintenance, I just get lazy. haha. I have wigs that are 5 years old and are still fine to wear! You only need to wash the hair about once a week, but I do this once every 3 weeks and my hair looks great. The only other thing you must do is wash the inside of the cap out every night so the bacteria in your sweat doesn't break down the inside of your wig. Thats it really. Pretty easy.
http://www.headcovers.com/wigs/eyebrows-lashes/ for fake eyebrows made form real hair that are very good! I hate penciled eyebrows because they look fake close up and are one dimensional. These are the best alternative I have found. I love mine. hope these tips help.
Thanks so much for the links and info!
The real eyebrows on a silicone base from them (headcovers.com) are great. My daughter also uses them. They can last several months if cleaned and look pretty real.
Hi Mandy,

I am looking into getting a vacuum wig just because I am so active and want the freedom. I do think that the Amore Wigs made by Rene of Paris are some of the better wigs you can just purchase. Most people that I meet can't guess that it is a wig. At least that is what they tell me. I like human hair wigs because they last longer and also they look more natural. You want to find a source that sells remy hair if you opt for that. The remy (spelling?) is not treated so the cuticle lays right. However with a synthetic wig, your hair will look great day after day, rain or shine. Keep smiling.
Which Amore wigs do you wear? I just ordered Codi and hear its very realistic...
l think lace is more link human hair am not so sure mayb some here does. there is hair sisters.com
they do offer some wigs of all types. but if you google it up you can come of good one too.
I just got "Impressive" and really like it, but it seems like so much hair for me, maybe because I'm so used to seeing me with thin hair. What was your experience with"Impressive"?

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service