Has anyone tried these vacuum wigs? if so, what are they like? All opinions, good and bad, gratefully received. 3 of us in the UK are interested in finding out about them.
Thanks very much

Views: 2198

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i have 2 of jon's wigs and i love them both. they are the best quality wigs that ive ever had. the hair is gorgeous. the woman who works with him and basically creates your wig with you is awesome. she spends all the time you need to choose a color hair style and length thats perfect for you.

its the wierdest thing when you wear it though. it feels like theres a huge succion cup on your head. it takes a day or 2 to get used to but no more than that.

my only complaint is that it is extremelyyyy hot in the summertime. its like having a plastic bag on ur head. i dont wear my wig very often (every once in a while when im not lazy and actually do my hair lol), so i just didnt wear it in the summer.

they are custom and made with human hair, so they are expensive. mine was over $3000 in the end. its an investment, but i feel like its worth it. the first wig i got from him is about 6 years old now and i still wear it. (granted its starting to deteriorate slightly, but all wigs do eventually)

if u have anymore questions, feel free to message me =)
Hi

Has Jon got back to you yet Welshcakes. Heck I didn't know you had contacted him six times and he hadn't replied. Hope he has replied now.
I watched the video of Jon at NAAF. It all sounds good except for the lack of air on the scalp. I'm still pretty new to wearing a wig, but I really hate the fact that my scalp doesn't get any air - a suction top would be much worse in that respect, I would think. If it's at all warm, or I'm dancing or something like that, I find it very hard to leave a wig on at all!
Hi Mary

I think the lack of ventilation to the scalp is a real problem. I had a Freedom and showed it to a physician- he was concerned about the closed silicone cap as the scalp is such an important regulator for heat control. There is a new ventilated cap- may be this is better? Otherwise body heat control is an important consideration.

Louise
Thank you for your posts. I spoke with Jon Fortgang on the phone a few days ago, and I may be meeting with one of his representatives here in San Diego in August. I'm going to take a look at the vacuum wig, but I'm 99% sure I won't want to wear it because of the heat factor.
Hi
I have been wearing Vacuum wigs for just over 22 years and have never had a problem with heat. My Doctors have never had any concerns about them either. I lived in the North of New Zealand where Summer is very warm and very humid. At the beginning of this year we moved to the South Island (New Zealand) where summers are 30 deg C + and dry and even in those tempartures I have not had any issues with heat. Also Freedom now have a new breathable cap which should help those who want security but have heat issues.
Hope that helps
In direct sunlight, I wear a sun hat to protect my face and scalp. Am I weird because I don't want to wear anything on my head if it's warm and I'm not in the sun? Am I crazy to not mind being seen bald?

I'm sorry if this offends anyone...I know we're all different in our comfort levels. But, this is my first warm season since losing my hair in January, and I'm getting more and more angry at the unfairness of men going bald and being comfortable and cool vs. women wearing wigs. It's just wrong.

I can't understand why women are expected to wear tight-fitting fur (or plastic) hats (aka "wigs") when it's warm or we're exercising...and then even another hat on top of that sometimes! Would a man wear such a thing in hot weather or when playing tennis or jogging?
Hi Mary

It's history, social acceptance and the perception of what is feminine. I do think it is easier for a man to walk around without a head covering on. But I don't know if it is so easy when they loose facial hair etc. I think it is then very difficult and something that has to be worked on.

Your right we are all different - so acceptance of people's choices is the way to go. You do what you feel is right for you. ( I can very much relate to how you feel).

For some (my daughter) she doesn't feel comfortable with being marked as different when she doesn't feel different - so she chooses to wear a wig. It's how you perceive yourself and how you want to present yourself. Just a choice like wearing make-up or not. You look like a lady that wears make-up (lovely piccie) men wouldn't bother with that either. Not acceptable really for them is it. This condition effects men and woman differently - and for both it can be challenging.

Do the things you want to do without a head covering there are many beautiful woman with alopecia that prefer this to anything else.

Rosy
Thanks for your thoughtful reply, Rosy.

Actually, in that photo I didn't have any eye makeup on - I still had my eyebrows and lashes, and didn't wear any makeup. Now that I'm AU, I have tattooed brows and eyeliner, as you can see in my video.

Mary
I havent tried Jons vac wigs.... but I've been wearing a Peggy Knight unit over 4 years its the vacuum wig. It is wonderful! its like having your own hair on your head. I remember the first time I wore mine I went on vacation to visit some family in Georgia. It was winter and very windy. I walked outside and the wind blew through my hair and my first instinct was to hold my hair on my head.. but there was NO NEED! It was the first time I felt good since I had alopecia! Ever since then I wear them! But now im starting to let my hair grow back! So trying to bandana thing!
the only thing that was uncomfy for me was it not being very breatheable.. my head gets extremely hot! but i do live in florida.. its extremely hot here! but i deal with it!!! if you can get passed that then you should def try!!
The vacuum wig changed my life!
When you take your vacuum wig off, is there sweat inside?

If the answer is yes, I couldn't wear it. But, I'm really happy that they work for you and make you feel good about yourself. That's the most important thing.
O MY! there is sweat! i hate it too and I cant beleive that I could deal with it.. but i did! now its been so nice not having to and just wearing my scarf.. but when i leave the house like that i still get nervous. but i am trying! ;o) i just got sooo sick of puttng the wig on and off everyday and shaving my head more than once a day! and SWEATING! hehe! the things you do to feel right!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service