Hi everyone,
I have a favor to ask. My daughter Lauren's Brownie Troop decided to do a poster educating people on alopecia. We are doing this along with Wigs for Kids- a non-profit organization, they will earn a Girl Scout Patch. This is a service project and the girls are all 8- 9 years old. They wanted to do a service that the whole troop could do together and that they could equally be involved.They also wanted to help Lauren feel better. Some girls in the past have donated their pony tails and obviously Lauren cannot donate her hair ( as she has AT), so that is why we choose educating and learning as another way to benefit the troop and wigs for kids . So far we have watched a video by NAAF and read brochures from them and wigs for kids. Here is my question-what else could we research or should we explore? What would you stay away from and what would you make sure to put in? The girls are great and learning a lot. Build a bear has wigs for their bears so we decided to include a doll with one of these wigs for props. I want to put the wow factor in but I'm just not sure how to guide the girls-I've lost my way a bit. Any suggestions? And thank you in advance for helping. Nancy By the way, this is initially for the school library, but we are trying to get permission to put the poster in the city library too

Views: 11

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We actually have it and have watched it-it is an awesome video!! I like the idea to have a mass group of GS to watch it. That would be cool. Thank you for your comments and support-Nancy
If you've already went through NAAF's material then you probably have as great an understanding as you're going to get plus having to live through it (AW offers so much in that respect). Perhaps if there were a support group in the area you could include their information on the poster so that anyone else with alopecia or who knows someone with it can refer them to help. Not to mention support group leaders are often very educated and resourceful on alopecia themselves. Perhaps a talented member of Alopecia World even lives near enough to add some inspiration to the poster, there are some authors and artists among us as well as public speakers and such. I'm so happy to see your daughter is helping to raise awareness with her troup and you are such a great mommy to encourage this in her! I hope it all goes well for you!
I love the idea of a AW member adding support- anyone nearby that would like to talk to the girls or add comments to the poster? Thank you for your warm comments- I have looked for support groups in the area without success. If anyone knows of one....... Again thanks to all-Nancy
According to NAAF's support network there are a few people you can contact for support groups (I will send you those privately). It looks like there are a few people on here in the Ohio area, take a peek at their profiles and see if there are any talented folks around.
Thanks, I will. Good luck with the video. Nancy
Its sad there isn't a lot of info out on this-physically and emotionally. Navigating this whole thing has been sad and lonely. While I'm eternally greatful Lauren does not have cancer, I am not very happy she has anything that is chronic like this. This is not how I envisioned her life :) But it is what it is and I will do anything I can for her. That's why doing the GS thing seems so important- it is a way to get info out there and knowledge of what kids and adults have to endure. If they get just a bit more support then it is worth it to me to keep pushing forward:) Thanks again-N.
Have you considered possibly doing some research into famous people (especially women) with Alopecia?

I quickly googled "famous people +alopecia" and found the following site:
http://www.headzup.org.uk/alopecia_stars.aspx (alot of women)

haven't found anything else as useful... but I'll let you know if I do.
That is a great idea. Thanks!! Nancy
Little girls with forms of alopecia areata grow up to be young women with forms of alopecia areata.

One of the many reasons Bald Girls Do Lunch Inc was created was to provide media images, mentors and materials that are feminine, attractive, hip and accurate.

Nancy...contact me directly and I can send you our savvy brochure that's highly inspirational for young girls and women. When is your event?

Thea
baldgirlsdolunch.org

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service