The following issue is raised in an interesting article titled "CEOs Say Baldness Won't Take Away Their Shine" on APP.com:
CEOs seem to instinctively know that it's better to be authoritative than indecisive. They know about the vision thing and the passion thing. They even know a few leadership lessons that aren't taught in business school — such as, it helps to be tall. But an unscientific survey of USA TODAY's panel of CEOs and other evidence suggest that baldness might be a blind spot for many.
CEOs say being bald doesn't impede success and, given a choice, it's better to be bald than short. So widely held is this conventional wisdom among top executives that when asked to choose, most CEOs say they'd take 2 more inches of height over a full head of Robert Redford hair.
Even most bald CEOs, including many who are both tall and bald, would choose to be taller. "Lack of hair can only mean the brain is busy with more important functions," says Murray Martin, the 5-foot-8 CEO of $5.7 billion Pitney Bowes, who is being generous when he describes his hair as "thinning."
As smart as they are, CEOs have been known as a group to get it wrong. It now appears that was the case just months ago when they almost universally said they didn't see a recession looming. Could they also be collectively clueless about hair versus height?

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these the same people running companies that are posting record profits while the average poor Joe Schmo has to choose between a gallon of gas and a gallon of milk? Aren't they also the same ones who get multimillion dollar salaries at the expense of the little guy's pension plan?

Sorry, but if they would rather be bald, then maybe I need to invest in a really good wig to cover mine up so I don't get painted with that same brush!!! LOL
Let me laugh hahahahaha ......

Have you seen many of the CEO's, those who are men, these days!

I am an investor in a number of companies/corporations in the USA. Every year I get the annual report which includes a booklet which contains photos of the CEO, the Board of Directors, and some of the companies/corporations top executives. I can assure you that a lot of them are BALD, in one way or another.

So, for them to think being bald is bad, is like saying "the World is coming to an end tomorrow".

Case in point ...... Back in the mid 1970's a young African-American lady, who worked as a teller for one of New York City's biggest banks, decided she want to "spice" up her life. So, she shaved her head.

After a week of her coming to work with her head shaved, she was called into the office of the "head" teller, who by the way was a man and who was bald, and told she would have to wear a wig or lose her job. Needless to say she choose not to wear the wig and was fired.

She sued the corporation and won. Of the many of those called by the Corporation to the stand, were the CEO, who was bald, the President of the Corporation, who was bald, the head teller, who was bald, and of course some of the ladies, not bald, who worked with her.

The judge in his rulling made point of this and question if they would fire theirselves for not wearing a hairpeice or wig.

It should not be the decission of anyone, other than ones self, whether they choose to wear a hairpeice or wig, no matter the reason(s) for them being bald. For those it is not a choice to have Alopecia, nor someone who is going through chemo for cancer.

But, like stated CEO's see things differently.

Me myself, I see it as either something a person has no control over, or one of choice.

Either way BALD is Beautiful .....

JimB
I realize this topic has been kinda silent for awhile but I just happened upon it now and thought I'd add my two cents. First off it is different for men to be bald than women. Second, it is natural for men to bald as they get older so of course none of these CEO's are going to see anything wrong with this (not to mention they have the money to hide it if they're ashamed). Being a woman in a variety of work worlds, I've noticed how important hair really is to most people. If I work in a factory or shop I won't normally wear my hair and suffer the consequences of being singled out but normally it isn't that big an issue. If I work in a customer service setting I have to be aesthetically pleasing to even score the job, so I paint myself up and disguise my true being. I have been denied work before, I've been fired because I'm bald and I certainly don't hesitate to think for one moment that any of those CEO's wouldn't react the same way if a bald woman happened to cross their paths. Hypocrits maybe??

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service