that all bald women are fighting cancer? Everyone just assumes that a woman with no hair has cancer. I'm sick of people assuming I have cancer! I don't have cancer.

I just get so frustrated with this. People ask me ALL the time if I have cancer, or worse, just ASSUME i do. Has anyone else experienced this? What do you do?

Views: 101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It happens all the time! shirley
Hi everyone,

I've been traveling, and a few days ago I had yet another variation on this theme: I had boarded an aircraft, and was in standing in my seat, waiting for the rest of the flight to board (bald, since it was a little warm), and a woman came down the aisle as she boarded and grabbed my arm and said something about how we're "sisters". I didn't get it until she saw my puzzled look and told me she'd just passed 10 years. So I told her I don't have cancer, and gave her one of my cards.

It doesn't make me angry anymore...but it always pulls me out of my place of forgetting that I'm bald and just going about my day.
Don't be mad, people simply don't have concept about alopecia. I never heard for alopecia myself, before it strikes first my mother, and now 10 years after me also.
2nd annual National Bald Out Day - all over the world - Saturday, July 17, 2010!

It's up to us to change the cancer perception.

Join the National Bald Out Group on AW, and organize an event where you live - one person, or many.

See you OUT there

Mary

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service