What to say and How to say it??? How do I tell students and coworkers about AA?

Hey

Need some help.
Yesterday was my first day back to work after a long summer break during which I lost a good bit of hair. I went back wearing a wig which is obviously a wig (especially considering these people have known me for the past 4 years).
I want to discuss it with my students when school reopens because I dont want to commit to wearing this wig all the time. I want to sometimes wear scarves and I am sure they and their parents will wonder. I also dont want to feel as if I am keeping a deep dark secret. How do I start this discussion with my students?
When should I bring the topic up with coworkers?
Some have come right out and asked what was going on with the hair. What is my reply going to be???

Help!!

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What ages are your students? What's the educational context -- preschool, elementary school, middle school, high school, undergraduate, postgraduate, public school, or parochial school? What subject(s) do you teach?
I teach second grade at a private Seventh-Day Adventist School. Most of the children and their parents know me pretty well because I taught them in first grade.
Perhaps this alopecia coloring book can help. While they're reading and coloring the pages, you can hold a friendly Q&A session and even show them your alopecia, if they ask (because you know kids: they're bound to ask to see!). Whatta ya think?
I love it!

Thanks I will definitely use this.
I am not a teacher, but I do go to my sons school every day. He hangs out with his friends and I am in contact with their parents. I wear hair sometimes & scarves sometimes.. I like lots of changes.. So my hair is all different too.. One day i will be blonde then the next brown or burgundy.

In the past years at the school I have had to tell some teachers I am not sick. I have Alopecia. I kinda have to explain it because believe it or not.. Some people have no idea what that is. (That's a shame) But, every has been so excepting.
Even the kids they dont even pay attention anymore...

My son is in 5th grade. And I have had AU his entire life... Was wearing a wig by his 1st birthday. So he never knew me with my real hair...

Just take the time and explain it.. You will be suprised how people react. It is all positive, most of the time people are worried and don't want any serious health problems. But, if you tell them you have Alopecia then everything will be okay :)

Zoey
Thanks everyone

I think I will probably just tell co-workers one on one if they ask me something.
I appreciate all the advice.
Everything will be okay Tamara.. We are all here for you :)
You're welcome, Tamara. Be sure to let us know how things work out. :-)
Hi Tamara
Before speaking to anyone else, sit down with the principal and let him know that you would like to share this with your students and coworkers. He may be able to arrange some time for you to make a presentation about alopecia to the school. At least you could get it all over with in one clean sweep. You may also be able to arrange a letter to send home with your students or all the students explaining alopecia to the parents and that if they or their children have questions they can contact you. Depending on the age of the children you will have to tailor your explanation of alopecia so that they can understand, if they are young enough you could associate your alopecia to an allergy. You'll also avoid most questions about what's going on with your hair by doing this. Your reply should always be "I have alopecia" and then you can explain. Knowledge is power and I'm sure you already know being a teacher and all that it feels great to teach someone something new! Stay strong, we're all with you! :)

The education system is built on canonical laws. I think we should make new rules. We can mark the image and we can change the system. For example, resources for writing creative works 

https://paperswizard.com/write-my-paper are prohibited. We can take a democratic step. I advise you to contact a lawyer

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service