For those of us who have grown up with alopecia and probably endured treatment after treatment as kids, I'm just curious if anyone is still seeking treatment after all these years? If so, why?

Views: 82

Replies to This Discussion

hi all x no im not have n treatment and have not had any for more than twenty years im not looking for a cure and i dont think there is one
sharon
No, I haven't had any treatment for over 10 years now. The last thing they tried was steroid tablets, and that didn't work, so I don't bother now.
I am 43 and have had alopecia since I was 5 years old. Last treatment was when I was 10 years old steriod shots and the they were quite cold hearted about it which has not made me want to seek anything else. The creams the heat lamps yuck. I agree that to some extent alopecia has made me who I am today and I think that is quite a good person. Down to earth & caring. A little emotional yes it is not always easy. But all in all there are worse disease to have then alopecia that having been said sometimes I think it is over looked for that reason because it is cosmetic. It also made me daughter quite a wonderful and accepting person as well.
I've never had any treatment. MY parents thought it wasn't worth the pain when I was 5, and never took me to any treatment. I've only seen the doctor once (when I was 5) for alopecia and never again! I get irritated when my friends tell me I should go, but I can see their concern. I know there is no cure, I handle it fine (even though this last year has been the worst ever) I guess I got really lucky how my parents handeld it. I just got my first wig, I wear a hat with it because I'm not that secure with it yet (its a cheap one, I just wanted to try one out)
I was AT at 6. Regrowth at 8 with steroids, creams, seran wraps. One doc told me to get off the roids and the hair fell right out again. Regrowth again spontaneously at puberty then 6 months later I became AU. I'm 38 now and consult an acupuncturist for general well-being - we address the hair loss but without expectation of regrowth. I wonder if I'd know what to do with hair...wash, dry, curl, color, hide the roots, shave (ugh!). Who invented shaving...I mean, the entire legs every day? Those are big body parts!
i live in Saudi Arabia and never stop trying meds , herbs or oils but nothing really worked.I don't know why i'm keep puting these things on my head.although its sressful but i guess am still not ready to let go of "HOPE".

Well as a child I do not remember much about the treatments apart from whatever my mum put on my head smelled, and I hated it… but to endure it… I still not even sure what that stuff was… But now, I am not that bothered… But I went to a hospital and remember them saying that there was no treatment for it, and who knew in 10 years’ time what they would fine (10 years has passed and still no closer to knowing) I left the hospitals for a while, but then I decided to go back (coz here in the UK you can get money of wigs for going) then the last time I ventured to the hospital they wouldn’t give me a prescription for a wig unless I agreed to have blood tests, no test = no wig… It was a harsh way to get me to agree to blood test (not being a fan of needles) I spent nearly a year going back and too, each test coming back negative till I thought stuff it, they are no closer to knowing anything then from the doctor who told me who knows in 10 years…. So from the last 3 years I have not bothered… Just decided to distress more and just go with it.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service