I have received a lot of interest from others on here in my involvement with the Xeljanz trials at Yale.

I thought it would be nice for everyone if I documented my progress on here. 

Xeljanz is a Jak3 inhibitor and is believed to work with alopecia by turning off the distress signal relayed by the hair follicle to the attacking immune system which is the cause of the hairs falling out. Xeljanz comes in a strength of 5mg per pill and a full box contains 60 tablets. The recommended dosage for arthritis is 1 tablet in the morning and another in the evening each day.

The trial is set in a series of stages and there are requirements before participating. These include monthly visits and blood tests every 2 weeks. Dr Brett King is absolutely fantastic and is an inspiration to me. His positivity and enthusiasm gives me the much needed hope I have craved for over a decade. I have been put on a low dose to start with which is 1 tablet every other day. My dosage has now been increased to 1 tablet every day and next month it could be increased to 2 tablets per day depending on the results. 

I have completed my first month and have already noticed my alopecia has stabilised . I have not lost any existing hairs. In addition to this I have seen little hairs growing in my chest area as well as eyebrows. Fingers crossed! To date, I have experienced no side effects.

-----------------------------

AW:  Other discussions on Xeljanz / Tofacitinib

https://alopeciaworld.com/main/search/search?q=Tofacitinib

Views: 927418

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Carlie, are you on xeljanz yet? It's a slow journey. I think Au/At really plays on your mind. Even now with obvious progress I'm constantly worried I'm not gonna recover or get to the point of not having to wear a wig to look "normal". I am grateful for the progress I have made though. I have my lashes, eyebrows and body hair back which is fantastic but the scalp is taking its sweet time. I keep hoping that in a "x" amount of time I can be wig free. My new timeframe is 6 months from now to be wig free. Hopefully that will happen. It's funny- I've always had really long hair and previously couldn't imagine having short hair. Now even the shortest of pixie styles are my ultimate goal! 

I hope it works for you! And that you are able to get access to the amount you need.

Hi Frida,

I have been AU since last June. It is devastating. I have not yet started Xeljanz - hoping to by the end of the month - but I am terrified that it won't work for me. I have always had masses of thick, curly, dark hair, long lashes, and thick eyebrows - I was known for them 0 and now I have absolutely nothing. I don't know who I am anymore. The wig I have is uncomfortable and itchy and doesn't look like me and I hate wearing it - I rarely do. The fact that you have brows and lashes fills me with wonder - that seems impossible for me! How long, and at what dose, did it take for you to get lashes and brows?

Hi Anna,

i totally understand how you feel. It's devastating to have your identity just wiped out almost overnight. As a women, I can say this now in hindsight, going from being a relatively attractive long haired lady, to feeling like a unadorned manikin has been the hardest thing I have ever been through. The xeljanz is working for me but even with it working there is a constant sense that it may not keep working or I may not regain enough hair to be wig free (I hate wearing wigs too- it's uncomfortable, hot, scratchy and just plain annoying). 

I started on 10 mgs per day and had to increase that to 20 mgs one day 25 the next. I am also doing steriod pulsing at the moment to sped things along. I plan on doing that until April or May. I have had some side effects- weight gain and acne- which are annoying but manageable. My bloods have been pretty good so that's a plus. In terms of lashes and eyebrows I highly recommend using Lumigan concurrently with xeljanz. My lashes and brows actually responded very quickly with this combo. I also recommend considering minoxidil for the scalp. It's is useless on its own but I do think it helps when used with xeljanz. Since minoxidil can be gotten pretty cheaply (the generic) to me it makes sense to offset the more expensive meds with the cheaper med to enhance results. 

Ive found this forum very helpful. Like you I waited awhile to join it as I almost couldn't admit to myself that this was my reality. It's been a godsend to be able to get information from people who have lived this as well.  I totally understand how you feel and, was terrified I wouldn't respond but even now I can say that eyelashes and eyebrows are back so keep your chin up!

Trying to send you a friend request but can't figure out how!

Lumigan is like Latisse?

Yeah I think they are the same but lumigan is like a cheaper brand. There is also a generic called careprost which tends to run a little cheaper too. They work a bit like minoxidil but aren't dangerous for your eyes (i

think they use them actually in the eye for people with glaucoma so reasonably safe.

i struggle to work how to friend someone on here too. Never really been on a forum before but I don't know anyone in my immediate life with alopecia so this has been a godsend. 

Its so so tough - I think the most important way to deal with it is to be pragmatic and think that this is short term.  I know it's extremely hard to do that though(I'm still struggling with that). I kind of just researched researched researched and researched  so I could learn as much as I could about treatments and tried to be rational (easier said then done) and figure out pathways.

i also tried to throw myself into my kitchen renovation too so that in my down time I didn't get to introspective and depressed about it all (this was only a little successful but at least my kitchen is almost done LOL). 

One of the hardest things to deal with is people telling you it's just hair (always people with their hair!) and that you should get over it.... I feel like saying if it was that easy to "get over it" then why don't you go shave your head and pluck out your lashes and eyebrows and then come back and tell me you feel 100% fine!!!

anyhow stay strong and just hold on to the fact that there are treatments out there that have reasonable success rates. I was reading somewhere that even pulsing steroids is often success on even bad cases, and other immune suppressants have had some success too.

I'm currently on 11mg xr. I still have my beard and my eyebrows but I'm very much bald on top. My beard is falling out however at an alarming rate. 

I see that everyone takes different doses to get xeljanz to work, which makes me worried. 

Will xeljanz at the standard dose help with at least retaining the hair u have already, and how do you know if the standard dose is going to work for you?

My doctor waited until I was on 10 mg for 6 month before increasing my dosage to 20 mg. I had no response on 10 mg, but saw the first hairs at about 2 months on 20 mg. I think that my doctor had to try with 10 for at least 6 months in order for my insurance to pay for the increase.

merry,

How'd you get covered for Alopecia? 

I have been using xeljanz since 2 months.I use 10 mg daily.But no improvement has been made so far.Do I start getting 15 mg a day ?

You should probably give it more time. Do you have a doctor overseeing your treatment? He/She will know how long to wait although everyone is different. I know it's hard to wait, but it takes time. I think that it depends on several things including how severe your alopecia and how long you have had it. I was AU for about 6 or 7 years before I started using xeljanz. I have used it for 2 years, and although I have my brows and lashes back 100%, I still need to wear a wig because the hair on my scalp is still very fine, thin, and white. I have 100% coverage, but it looks nothing like normal, adult hair. I have to take 20 mg a day just to keep this. I use Rogaine and Clobetasol and get steroid injections in my scalp every 4 to 6 weeks, but I haven't had any further progress. Good luck! Others have had much better progress and I hope you do also.

Thanks for your reply.AU has been  in 10 years.Actually,DPCP treatment was done for 9 months.80% of my hair came back.But eyebrows,eyelashes and beards did not come out.My hair is thin and brown.2 months ago I decided to use xeljanz 10 mg a day.The doctor says I should take 10 mg.Very low chance of success with 10 mg.I'm probably start the use 20 mg now.I will reduce the dose to 15 mg once the eyebrows and beards are fully growth.In the future I will reduce the dose to 10 mg.I hope I can make an effective treatment in this way.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service