When did you develop AU? Is the highest probabilities during childhood?

I have heard that AU usually develops at younger ages (childhood) or during teens and some people develop it at larger stages in life quite fast. I currently have AA and I am 28. How many of you in late twenties, thirties, fourties that have developed AU suddenly with NO onset in childhood or NO onset during teenage years?

I am new to this forum and I totally respect each and everyone of you.

Views: 1178

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow. That's insane.,at least it struck in your 50's rather than your teens,childhood and 20's...so you're very blessed in that aspect.
I agree, Star-r-Aligned. Currently, I am 68, and I went AU at age 64. This condition is very difficult at ANY age, but it is especially devastating for young children, teens, and 20-something's. My heart breaks for them.

I was in about fifth or sixth grade when I first got AA: my dad cut my hair and noticed it.  I had AU by the time I was about fifteen.  Between sophomore and junior year is when all my hair went, although a little stayed on until it fell out, but nothing new grew.  Since then, I've had almost no hair growth.  Sometimes, there's an errant hair here or there -- more often than not on my toes, but really not much more than 10 at any given time.  I'm 46 now, so basically, I've not grown any hair of consequence for 30 years.  

I was 27 when my AU started, back in 2003. A small patch on the back of my head about the size of a fingernail. Then I had a spot on my chin, then my arm. It spread so fast. It destroyed my fingernails as well for the first 7 months before recovering. I have had AU ever since. 

I never had any signs growing up nor has anyone in my family had anything like it.

Same here.  No indication when growing up and no one in the family had it.  I sure hope my daughter and granddaughter don't have to go through this.

AA when I was 58; two remissions. Developed AU two years ago. Never any indication this would be something I would be dealing with later in life.  

I've been here a couple of years now and I don't see anything "usual" about this condition; it seems to be different for almost everyone in terms of when it appears, how severe it is, whether it is temporary, and how they cope. 

I developed AU when I was 21, just before my 22 birthday. All of my hair fell out within a single month, never even heard about it prior.

I was 35 when mine first appeared. Stayed gone for 10 years. Grew back and stuck around for 21 years and is all gone again. 6 years ago.  Mine episodes were brought on by extreme stress.

I was 8
Suddenly got AU September 2015 (45) , lost all my hair within 3 months.
No history. Never had patches. Other auto immune ailments: sensitive skin/ allergies Still no remission, currently trying DCP Immunotherapy.
Well, I think I may have alopecia... And it started when I was 24 when my hair started to thin really bad.. Unlike most my hair didn't fall out in patches...it thinned slowly... Took a year for me to have a patch... Its on my side...however my hair in other places is growing...I have no idea why my hair is doing this. If its gonna fall out just come on lol...so I can slap a wig on it and keep it moving lol.
Many develop at young adults.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service