I have been suffering from AA since September 2015. I have been getting injections monthly, but my hair loss continues to spread--roughly half of my hair is gone. Even the hair that has started to grow in appears to just fall right out again.

My question is-- is Prednisone worth it? My doctor says she could put me on it for 6 weeks, but filled me in on the side effects. She says it works for some, but not for others. If my hair loss is stopped in its tracks, will it just fall right out again after the 6 weeks of treatment is up? Is 6 weeks even long enough to experience the roughest of the side effects?

For those who have tried it, what was your experience?

I'm wondering if I should forgo the Prednisone and embrace the beauty of wigs-- I just don't want to completely write off Prednisone if it has been worth it for some.

Thank you!!

Views: 2877

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Pred carefully....when thinking of using Prednisone!

1 Look for a clinical trial.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20804894

2 Look at the results:

At 6 months, 14 patients (41%) presented complete response, eight patients (23%) had a persistent incomplete response, and six patients (18%) had a persistent cosmetically acceptable response. Adverse effects were noted in five patients (15%)

CONCLUSION:

A once-monthly oral pulse of 300 mg prednisone appears effective and safe. It can be recommended as first-line treatment for widespread AA.

3 Looks encouraging?

4 Look at  Alopecia forums and web for successful long term users of Prednisone; who have a full head of hair.

5 This is where it gets tricky. You won't find any threads concerning these people. Yet the trial said there were 41%.

Curious...You won't find any threads on Forums concerning these lucky 41 %

6 You will consistently find:

a my hair fell out after tapering

b the Doctor stopped me using it due to side effects

c people are different.( no it don't work)

7 So where are these people (41%)?

Are they hiding and happy?

Are they shy?

8 Prednisone is a mirage.

9 Why do Doctors prescribe it?

IMO it's a way Doctors get us to accept that ...at the moment they can't do anything! So they put you are a course depending on how desperate you are....

10 People won't give up. They go back on it an use biotin,herbs,  new diets etc to find the magic formula..... to regain the hair that again will fall out.

11 Today we have a new drug called xeljanz and again we have 'jack in the beanstalk growth' Look!

12 When it all settles down. Lets see the difference between a sample trial, a few believers and whether there will be any threads which associate xeljanz and long term hair growth + safety.

13 LUCKY... You type Alopecia and you see threads for Cure?treatment

On these threads are clinical trials + thousands of happy people who report their success.

It's all in front of you. People from all over the world, young and old, with hair growth. Photos and timelines.

14 Anecdotal evidence from a few happy campers is anecdotal evidence!

'

Hi. I also tried prednisone when my AA started getting really bad and the steroid scalp injections were not working. I had 2 shots over a couple of months and neither resulted in any regrowth. I also tried a tar-like topical cream, which also never worked. After the second prednisone shot, I decided it wasn't worth it -- ESPECIALLY given the short and long term side effects. I've been AU for 2.5 years now and while I would love my hair back, there's nothing I can do about and I try to move on and look at the good things about wearing wigs -- easy/fast to get ready in the morning, etc. Doesn't work every time I get upset, but most of of the time. I would say, you have to do what's best for you and you'll know when you're done.

This website was invaluable for me when I was going through this -- thanks Alopecia World Community!!

I am a 58 year old womam who has had two episodes of AU. The first episode begain at the age of 15. I under went extensive prednisone treatments with all of the side effects. Within a year my hair grew back, however it was thin  as it has been since birth. I kept my thin hair, eyelashes and brows for 20 years. Episode two began at 35. I tried the Prednisone again, this time it was having a direct effect on my adrenal glands and was told by my doctor I had to get off of it or live in fear of not being able to recover from a traumatic event, as my adrenal glands would not be able to do their job and save my life if need be.

Prednisone is something you cannot stay on or use excessively. It has a downside that is not worth the hair in the long run. I know how it feels to be young and wish for hair, but AU is what it is; and the sooner you can adapt and get your life back the better. I have regrets that I spent so much time lamenting over the loss of my hair and holding myself back from things that did with hair and now do again and enjoy. (Such as going to the gym, cycling, being assertive at work, and mostly believing that I can do whatever I set my mind to without hair) The hell with others, they do not live your life, YOU DO. Do not let hair define you. LIVE!

You might want to try oral prednisone.  But if after you stop taking it it all falls out again, probably best to stick with wigs.  Also Xeljanz is supposed to better than prednisone?  But Xeljanz is still very new.

I took Prednisone off and on for about a year. It slowed down the hair loss process and allowed hair to grow back where I had injections. The only problem is that you can not take prednisone for long periods of time. Your body begins to depend on it and causes other issues and it difficult to wean yourself off. I experienced stomach issues, swelling in my ankles and weight gain. I told myself it was worth the side effects if it meant I would get my hair back. I brought me hope but never really solved the issue. After I stopped taking prednisone I immediately lost 6 pounds in a week. At that time I still had a good amount of hair and could wear my own hair.

My doctor took a more aggressive approached and put me on methotrexate which was a complete disaster! It excellerated my hair after only 3 months I lost 80% of my hair. Now I must wear wigs to cover it up.

So be very careful what you put in your body and consider the long term effects. Prednisone is good for the short term in my experience.
Prednisone is the worst drugs for our body
weight gain. and when you stop use it
your hair falling down .
Xeljanz probably is medication for
new generation .
there are a lot of people how use Xeljanz
and must of then about 82% success treatment
and you have to try it. but it's expensive
forger Prednisone and think about topical
and be strong

Hello, Kim from Cape Town, i am wondering how much prednisone you took and for how long and if there were any permanent side effects from that. My son took Prednisolone for acne which was only mean to be a short course but the doctor here in Tasmania, Australia, forgot to untick the repeat box in the computer and consequently he was on it for 16 months. He didn't get to become the young man nature intended him to be as a result. 

Hi Sue. Add me as a friend and we can chat. Kim

I did the injections for a VERY long time.  I decided to take a break and that's when I found out I was addicted to the steroids.  Every doctor I asked (eye, general practitioner, dentist, gyn/ob, etc.) said there was no way I could bet addicted or that it would have long term health effects.  They were wrong.  I did get addicted & the withdrawal was misery.  I would seriously weigh your health vs effectiveness of the injections.

I tried prednisone orally for about a year and it kept all my hair in but the second I stopped it all fell out. The injections i felt didn't really work a little would grow back but then fall out somewhere else.Im sorry your going thru it is very difficult while its happening but its funny because once you come to terms with it and get a good hairpiece then you just go on with your life :)

Hi Kris, may i ask whether you have had permanent side effects from the prednisone?

I have a slight cataract  in my one eye ....I was diagnosed when i was 33

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service