This is my first summer with AU, and I'm trying to figure out how to swim with a wig. My daily wig is custom human hair wig, but I was told chlorine or salt water would kill the hair.
So I'm thinking about getting a less expensive wig to swim in, but I'm curious how "wig-like" it will look when wet? How does synthetic hair behave in sea or pool water?
And what kind of tape is the most reliable? The tape I'm using now is not sweat-proof, so I'm guessing its not waterproof either. Any help you can give is appreciated! Thanks!

Views: 27311

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I sleep in very short (neck length) synthetic wigs with dermafixed caps,
(I wear wigs 24/7 except to shower).
As far as swimming,I have not yet gone to the beach(ocean) this summer
(this is my first summer in wigs 24/7,I had a topper last summer 2011 until losing most of my hair in Sept 2011) As far as the pool,I never wear HH/EHH wigs terrified of chlorine
damage, I wear synthetics in the pool. After pool swimming,When I get home,I shampoo & heavily condition the wig I wore in the pool,to make sure chlorine & pool chemicals don't linger too long & potentially damage my wigs. I put on a fresh dry wig while the wet wig
dries off (after shampoo/conditoning), I have approximately 30 wigs,Synthetic,as well as
Flax/Flaxen,Chinese Silk Synthetic Hair,Human Hair,Indonesian hair & European HH.
I have wigs in various different lengths colors styles,cut,tezture,etc
My FAVORTE pool wig is my Mona Lisa medium length shag cut synthetic in Maple Syrup color,sraight semi-layered,that I purchased several months ago from
JMC HairWear & Wig Salon Inc in Pompano Beach/Coconut Creek Florida,see their website
for their contact info. I plan to try a few other of my synthetics in the pool this
summer as well as at beach/ocean,if I have time for the latter.
What I can do as well is to bring a fresh dry wig with me,so if I use locker room/clubhouse showers,I can privately/discreetly change into a fresh dry wig & quickly
pack up the wet wig. This summer it will be trial & error with my synthetics to see
how they react to swimming pools,etc.
I buy a lot of wigs,including pre-owned from 2 ebay stores
Madelyns Salon & Dominiques-Tresses. Dominiques sewing alters & dermafixes my wigs.
Dermafix is WATERPROOF & makes a snug tight wig suction grip your head skin even in water,so no more tape/glue/adhesive, The dermafix strips look like finger bandaids
& are sewn inside the cap,& can even be sewn in a lace front too!
The strips act like magnets on a refrigerator door & are activated in seconds from body heat,and form a suction seal between head skin & the strips in the cap,
And,like I just told you,the strips are waterproof. They are invisible to others,
If you need links to the 2 ebay stores,enail ne at MarshaLampert@aol.com
& I will email you the links,
If you would like my cellphone#,email me as well.

-Marsha Lampert MBA MS

I have about 7 short synthetic ''sleep wigs',neck length,so I wear a different one each night.

OK, now I have lots of wigs, various colors/styles....this is just ME....Because I just havn't found ME yet, is why I have them...But ...back to topic. I feel silly and like people are really staring at me if I wear different wigs all the time. I go to the same places, and see alot of the same people....I feel "odd" if I always look different. How do you cope with that? I guess you have a "I don't care what people think" attitude. I wish I truly did. Oh, and being in Florida....it is soooo hot to wear a wig in the summer. I go out walking and sweat like crazy. My baseball cap is soaked with sweat and my forehead. I couldn't imagine wearing a wig. I would also worry about the sweat damaging the wig. It would just be a sweaty mess, and need to be washed all of the time. It is so hard!!!! What brand is the Mona Lisa wig?

The Brand is MONA LISA,I do NOT know the product name,

You are right,I am very open & candid with people about my alopecia wig wearing
& I have had almost no problem with people accepting & even ''congratulating'' me
on my ''wig wearing diversity''. I really am lucky to have supportive reactions
from most folks,so I don't really ''feel odd'' . I live in South Florida,which in summertime is tropical jungle,& it doesn't bother me at all to wear wigs 24/7,
Part of the reason for my ample wiggy wardrobe is that I know that sweat,heat,chlorine,pool chems,etc will take a bad toll on my wigs over time.

I am lucky that I have some summery lightweight thin delicate soft flexible mesh/lace cap synthetic flax/flaxen/Chinese silk synth hair LONG WIGS that I PONYTAIL AT THE NECKLINE with a hair barrette/clip. This way my neck stays cool
& the wig looks like bio hair,not wiggy at all. My head doesn't sweat a lot or I am so used to it I don't notice. I wash my wigs frequently & so far so good.

-Marsha

Lexi -- find a style you love, and buy multiples in that style!

I understand about the heat....it must be wicked wearing a wig in FL. I'm in PA, and in the summer I am in misery outside with a wig. But as soon as I get inside.....OFF IT GOES!

Isn't it soooo funny.....as soon as you get in the door, or sometimes, as soon as I get back into my car from being somewhere (oh, I make sure no one is really around to see it happen)..I flip the wig off. What a relief.

I know it probably sounds ''weird'' but I want to ''feel normal 24/7'' & see
''hair'' on my head,even if it's 2 or 3 am & I am in PJ's, Another reason for
''bedtime wigs'' is I raise a large female triton sulfurcrest cockatoo parrot ''Miss Ditzy Fritzie'' age 22. She is very reactive to certain wigs & certain head coverings,& ''freaks out'' easily,like if ahe has a ''nighr fright
bad dream type episode'',*ie middle of the night loud thunder,for example)
When she does,I,her beloved human ''Mommy'' goes over to her room to calm her down. I think she would be terrified to see me in a cap, She still freaks when I wear my blackcherry/Reddish brown HH wig, She is used to my wigs.
-Marsha

Dont use wig instead.. hehe

Where did you get your daily wig? Cost? Upkeep? Yes, I really couldn't imagine a synthetic wig on my head wet after swimming.

I have wigs prinarily from 3 places,i can email you the links if you privately email me at
MarshaLampert@aol.com
The only upkeep cost is like wig shampoo/conditioner/detangler/shine spray,
As far as a synthetic wig on my head WET after swimming,guess I must be lucky,
it doesn't bother me at all. My high quality thicker synth wigs behave fine when wet & look like wet bio hair

My daughter swims,surfs, wakeboards, skis in her wigs. She braids them so they don't tangle and we condition well after. She wears all lace that she tapes with supertape. She just got back from Cali where she took surf lessons and I asked her if she needed a headband and she said nope it is fine and it was. We order from a chinese site that I have given out previously so we don't spend too much on them and can change frequently.

Great,, :)

Karen, what's the brand of the super tape your daughter uses? And does she use synthetic or HH wigs to surf in? So glad to hear she's not being slowed down by AA!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service