Has anyone experienced hair loss due to seborrheic dermatitis? If so did it grow back? What treatments would you suggest (medical or alternative) and what would you recommend one should stay away from.

Views: 15352

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, the ketoconazole shampoo which I use as a soap does dry my scalp out. Fortunately being bald from AU (never thought I'd say that !) means that I can apply a moisturiser immediately afterwards to my scalp.

It's the triazole anti-fungal agent (Itraconazole oral tablets) that I think has really made a difference. This reduces the yeast Malassezia in the skin/scalp which irritates and inflames the scalp, causing it to itch. I'm also using the hydrocortisone/anti-fungal topical cream Daktacort in combination with this. I've suffered with a maddening itch of the scalp for 20 years and suffered hundreds of sleepless nights. Since on this new medication the itchiness of my scalp has reduced by about 80%. That said I'm only on day 5 of this new medication and I know that's not nearly long enough to say that this is a long-term solution.

I did not know about the connection between SD and AGA ('Anti-gliadin IgA' I presume). I went on a gluten-free and lactose-free diet for a period of 3 weeks earlier in the year and found that, in my case, it made no difference to my skin. However, I think diet does play a part as consuming too many foodstuffs high in yeast (e.g. chocolate, spicy seasonings) may increase the amount of yeast in the body and thus exacerbate the SD.

Hey there. Sorry it took me so long to reply. I was not doing well and am still struggling really bad. I checked myself into the psych ward in August for suicidal thoughts from my eating disorders and it was made worse from the hair loss and F***ing seb derm. Excuse my language.

I am so sick of it. I went to a new derm and she is great. She put me on a course of Itraconazole for a week. It's the oral form of Ketoconazole. It seemed to help a little. It's been a month or so since I stopped the week long dose. It seems to have helped still somewhat.

I have been using Selenium Sulfide mostly every day. I use selsun blue or the dark blue bottle of Head and Shoulders that is also selenium sulfide.

I am going to try the Loprox shampoo again for a month I think. This is going to sound crazy but I forgot how to properly wash my hair. I have been so afraid to rub my scalp for the past 2 1/2 years because of the hair loss. I think that is the reason for the seb derm developing. I never cleaned my scalp good. I have been watching online videos of how to properly wash your hair and it's amazing how hard they actually scrub the scalp. I can kind of remember getting that done at the salon when I had more hair. I don't think I am washing my scalp good enough. I am hoping that if I rub in the medicated shampoos better that they might help more, but we'll see if I can handle the anxiety.

How are you doing? Any success with your seb derm?

I am wondering if your SD is under control? I have it bad and its been almost a year and I am having alot of HL because of this! Please reply back. Thanks!

I am having a difficult time with figuring out what "under control" actually is. My head is itching a lot more and then it will hurt really bad. Last year at this time the flakes were yellow, oily and thick. Now it feels more like irritated dry scalp. I haven't found a specific regimen that works. I alternate between Selenium Sulfide shampoos and zinc shampoos every other day and then use Suave Daily Clarifying on the other days. Nothing seems to "cure" it and it's always a pain. The itching was so bad yesterday but I also was very stressed. When I don't have anything to focus on, it seems so much worse. I also hate how the medicated shampoos make my hair feel. The Selenium Sulfide (selsun blue) makes my hair look greasy but it feels like straw.

Have you had any luck?

hi julie, do you have seborrhea on your eyebrows as well? i developed a very bad case a year ago and nothing helps. every follicle has scale at the base and when i try to remove it the hair comes out. even if i just run my fingers over them they come out its so weak. i barely have anything left. is seborrhea scale just on the skin or does it plug up the follicles as well? maybe i have something else but its destroying the follicle because any regrowth is very thin and weak.

I do not although my whole face will itch including my eyebrows. I don't have any flakes though. Maybe you should go see a dermatologist to make sure it is seborrhea and not something else? I wish I could help you more!

I also think it can plug the follicles but does not mean it will cause hair loss. When I had big patches on my scalp, the hair would fall out when I pulled the scale off. That is not uncommon I guess. But it will grow back. It is mainly on the skins surface I think. There is a lot of information on the internet if you google it. The Mayo Clinic website is good and reliable. It would be best to get it checked though to make sure. It could be psoriasis or folliculitis. Sometimes you need prescription strength creams or shampoos or steroids to get it under control for a while. Hope this helps!

thanks julie, ive tried shampoos, steroids, etc but nothing seems to be helping. im going to a new derm soon, so we will see. thanks for the info!

Sorry you are also suffering from this! Sounds like mine! I bought a microscope camera on amazon and have pictures really close up of mine if anyone wants to see or compare. They are kinda gross though. I used the Selenium Sulfide for almost two weeks every other day and will NEVER use it again. It made my hair limp and did something to it because I was feeling OK about my crappy hair before this using that shampoo and this week I have been so depressed and my scalp just got worst and I think from the medicated shampoo. Mine is more in the front and sides which also makes it worst! Have long have you all had yours? I am going on a year and think it is from either antibiotics, or mold in my house, or the water! I have tried EVERYTHING and still do not know what makes it better or worse. :(

I think I agree with you about the Selenium Sulfide (Selsun Blue, etc...). I too find my hair to be very greasy and limp and gross after using it. I use it only once in a while and try to just use my regular shampoo. I use zinc shampoos maybe 3 times a week. Garnier Fructis makes a line of zinc shampoos and I usually use those. Head and Shoulders made my hair greasy and itchy. I also have used tar shampoos which aren't that bad. I have also tried Nizoral but can no longer find it in stores. I used all the prescription shampoos my doctor gave me with no luck. I don't know what caused mine. I had long, thick, hair until about 4 years ago and one day my head itched like crazy and then I got the big greasy flakes. I feel gross and i hate going out now. If anyone has any ideas, please share with us!

Do you have pictures of yours? I am thinking mine started from either hard water, mold, or antibiotics I was on before this all happened!

I don't have any pictures. I tried taking some when it was really bad but they didn't show the scales like I hoped. I had wanted to take some pics to my derm but they just didn't show the extent of the scaling. Sorry! I don't know what caused mine.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service