Has anyone experienced hair loss due to seborrheic dermatitis? If so did it grow back? What treatments would you suggest (medical or alternative) and what would you recommend one should stay away from.

Views: 15352

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Today, I just decided to look up all available medications on the market for SD. I totally skipped over steroids due to the harsh side effects. I listed some below. Have any of you used the following:

Ovace Shampoo (Sulfacetimide)

Xolegel (ketoconazole)

X-Seb T Plus (Coal tar/Salicylic Acid)

Zencia Wash (Sulfacetimide/Sulfur Cleanser) Brand names the same at Cerisa

Cerisa Wash (Sulfacetimide/Sulfur Cleanser)- Some brand names are Avar, Plexion, Rosanil and Rosula

Sebulex (Salicylic/Sulfur)
I have used Sebulex and it seemed to work but I ended up getting really itchy. I only used it twice. I seem to itch from everything though. Medicated or non-medicated shampoos make me itch. My face, eyebrows, ears, face, scalp itch and everything on my body itches. I am going back to the derm tomorrow to discuss this issue because my self-esteem is very bad. I can't hardly perform my job because the itching is so bad. I have tried so many prescription antihistamines to help but nothing works. I am so frustrated....

I have used coal tar and salicylic acid but not in one shampoo. I used Keto too but in the form of Nizoral shampoo...
This itching is unbearable. I finally got a derm appointment for 9 tomorrow. I hope something great comes of it. The itching and rash that I have from the SD was so bad that I yelled at my little brother during a project today. I can’t have that going on. I am wondering if I should also seek out a counselor on top of this as well. Because I don’t have any self esteem at this point. If I am not constantly in the mirror checking, I am covering every reflective surface in my house. I don’t make eye contact. I’m washing my hands and other surfaces often because I am afraid that I might give SD to someone else even though I know it isn’t contagious. Just a few days ago, I went to the market and got a few things. I went to the check-out line and when another customer started standing behind me, I pretended I needed to get something else because I didn’t want him to see my scales. I’ve been having a rough couple of days. Right now, I am existing not living… and that is a problem.

Did you ever ask your doctor if your immune system is compromised in any way? If you haven’t gotten any comfort from anti-histamines something else needs to done about that constant itching. There could be another reason for your itch not responding to medication.
I also wanted to tell you D.Brown that I have a skin pigmentation issue as well. Unlike you, I am white skinned and very pale but my face is turning brown. ONLY my face. It's mostly under my eyes and around my cheeks and eyes so it looks like a raccoon. I was given a prescription for bleaching cream but it was over 300 dollars for a very little tube. I declined and am just watching my skin darken. It's called melasma...
I’ve read that one of the best things to do with melasma is to stay out of the sun because the sun makes the skin darker.

Oh and you should check out this product called JolieMD. It is used for melasma and other pigment problems… and some other skin issues as well.
Thanks! I will talk to my derm tomorrow!
You can buy JolieMD online. A dermatologist created this product.
Hey guys!

Just came from the doctor and the pharmacy. The doctor immediately wanted to give me steroids and I told her no that is not going to happen lol. So I was prescribed ciclopirox shampoo and I have to take that once a week. The doctor also said that I could still use my T/Sal once a week. I was also prescribed promiseb and the doctor told me to take that as needed but the tube says two-three times a day. She also gave me a mild steroid but I’m not going to use it. I have to wait to Friday to get my promiseb (she gave me samples though) because the pharmacy was out and I have to go back to the pharmacy in an hr for my ciclo.

I have high cautious hopes lol!
I also was at the dermatologist today and they are referring me to Madison, Wisconsin for further tests. My liver function is bad and they don't know why. I am going to Madison to see a top dermatologist and hopefully figure out something to do for the seb derm. I am also using Ciclopirox Shampoo and gel on my head. I too refuse the steroids D.Brown! I tried them for a few days but then got scared... The itching has spread to my ears and eyes. It's bad and I can feel it spreading to the rest of my body. I have tried about 6 antihistamines both prescription and over the counter. It drives me insane..

Keep me posted you two!
Update: Yesterday, my mom went to the pharmacy to pick up my medication and was told that my insurance will not be covering my prescription. Funny… because the day before my appointment I called my insurance and asked if they would be covering my prescription if I am given something and they said they would. Now I have to pay $164 for the shampoo and $120 for the Promiseb cream. Also, I really want to find another derm because she did not listen to me at all. She kept trying to push steroids on me after I told her that is not an option. She just refused to listen. And she gave me samples of a steroid and told me to use it even after I said that steroids would not and should not be part of my treatment. Then she had the nerve to tell me “well we use it on babies”, which is not entirely true. The first course of action when a baby has SD is not steroids so I had no idea why she would try to mislead me like that. I explained to her that I know the side effects, which include skin atrophy, induced rosacea, and exacerbation of the problem and higher recurrence rates. She refused to acknowledge that I have done my research and know exactly what I am talking about. I just don’t understand why doctors do not listen. I told her about the itching in my eyes and ears and she gave me nothing for that. I asked if there is something that I should or should not be eating and she did not provide an answer for that either. I gave suggestions about possible treatments from the literature I read and she didn’t care. I strongly believe that a combination of a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, with an anti-fungal, and keratolytic would work well in keeping this condition at bay. Once I have my meds I will use ciclo once a week, and the T/Sal once a week, I think I should use the cream as needed.
The T-gel might help you out. It is too early to tell. This is my second week using T/Sal since my diagnosis. When I get my haircut I think I should use it twice a week or let it sit on my scalp for at least five minutes or so. If your condition doesn’t improve you should definitely see a doctor. The only reason why I waited so long was because my condition improved so I didn’t treat it. I just continued to wash my hair like normal. My impetus for going to doctor was to see if my hair loss was permanent. I don’t think it is and my GP doesn’t either but I wanted to make sure. Once I cut my hair, I’m also going to put aloe on my scalp. I use that on my face every night. It calms my face down and appears to be slowly but surely healing the rash around my ear.
Hi. I have suffered with eczema pretty much my whole adult life and became AU about 5 years ago. Recently I bought a book on allergies and discovered that there was a type of eczema called Seborrheic Dermatitis. I googled the pattern of Seborrheic Dermatitis eczema and it seemed to match where I suffered with my own eczema. I came across the following study which gave me some insight how to treat the condition: http://www.skintherapyletter.com/2002/7.s1/2.html

For the last 4 days I have been taking 200mg per day of Itraconazole. In 3 days time I will stop this. I have also just started using Nizoral shampoo every other day. In addition I use the cream Daktacort on the affected areas twice a day, followed by a fine layer of olive body butter (as a moisturiser).

It's only day 4 of the above treatment but so far I have seen a big improvement in the condition of my skin, particularly a noticeable reduction in the itchiness of my scalp. Still early days but I thought I would post my findings.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service