I have something I have been thinking about lately..

To you whom have had regrowth - from universalis/totalis to areata or fullgrown hair - were you ever completely bald? I mean like 'shiny-bald', or did you have thin fuzzy blonde small hairs on your scalp? I have no hair what so ever and it feels like it's no chance for me at all to get my hair back. If I don't have any fuzzy blonde hairs, does that mean that my hair follices are dead? And is it the same with eyebrows?

Views: 4811

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I started losing hair 2 years ago. I lost the rest of the hair on my body last fall. I have the white peach fuss on my head and eyebrows. I've started DCPC and hope that the peach fuzz grows!!

I am not totally bald, I have a lot of large patches so I shave my hair off. Everytime I go to the barber he points out that I do not have a nice shiny white head like he thinks I should with alopecia. You can see hair on my head and it is not blonde at all its actually kind of dark and never grows. So basically I look like I have a constant five o clock shadow. My point is just because there is what looks like hair doesn't mean it has what it takes to grow any more than your head being shiny bald has potential to grow hair.

Thanks for asking this question Lina. I am in the same boat as you - it has been 7 months that I have been completely bald and shiny as you say :)

I will jave random hairs grow but only one or two and then they just fall out. Its so strange. I to wonder if my follicles are dead....sound like its hard to tell based on everyones comments.

I hope that yours and mine are just sleeping right now.

Just thought I would let you know someone else is in the same spot.

Mine will grow for a few days after kenalog injections but then they'll just fall out and I'll be back to a nice smooth head.

I have something unique going on. This May will be 3 years completely bald. However, the top of my head is growing dark hair again. I've been trying to document the growth by taking pictures every week, but it is going so so slow. It's been 'regrowing' since September of last year. That's when I noticed that I had some black hairs starting to stick out.
I'm just trying to be patient. I know I've been bald for so long that it may take more time. My eyebrows have come back and one eye has started growing eyelashes. Some kind of spark is happening...it's just going so slow.
With all of this being said....I'm not going to give up. You don't give up either. I was shiney bald for the first 2 1/2 years. I'm proof that the folicles just lie dorment for a while. Just don't think much about it anymore and it starts to happen on it's own. :)

YAY!!!

My Chinese doctor says that follicles don't die, they lie dormant and it is about finding the internal cause of the hair loss. I have had two biopsies from different dermatologists. The first came back last September as possible scarring alopecia. I get the results of the second biopsy next week. Scarring alopecia is permanent damage to the follicles, now I do not believe that all the follicles are scarred. I do not have completely bald spots, I have huge patches of thin hair, I use hair fibres to thicken the areas. My left temple areas is smooth bald. Last week I noticed the biggest thin area, the crown, has more hair. Now I am not sure if it is new growth, or the remaining hair is getting longer. My Chinese doctor says its new growth, but I never saw any stubble. Either way it is hair, so I will hold out hope that it is regrowth. Once I accepted the hair loss and stopped being depressed and waking up crying, stopped worrying I did notice that my remaining hair is healthier.

Hi Hope,

There is no known cause for alopecia. Alopecia is an autoimmune disease. the immune systems attacks the hair follicles mistakenly thinking its a foreign body. There is currently no known cause for this. Trying to find a 'reason' will only cause you more grief. Believe me I get this. Two years ago I had a beautiful long mane of hair. Now (at the age of 50) have no hair on my body! Alopecia Universals. Its one of the most unpredictable diseases I have come across. What I do know is that some treatments work great for some and others not so much. Topical creams and shots (very painful) didn't do a darn thing for me. I am now doing DCPC and we will see what happens. I am fine for the most part but I do have those 'I am having a bad AU day'...One day at a time.

Keep writing on this forum...I'm new to this but I do like the support here:)

What is DCPC?

My naturopath said acupuncture works. To open the scar tissue. Have you heard of this?

i did acupuncture for a while didnt really help

Not quite sure what DCPC stands for. Its a topical treatment. The idea is that the immune system attacks the DCPC (poison) instead of the hair follicles. I live in Toronto Canada. This treatment is only administered at a couple of hospitals in Canada. I go once a week. Its applied with a big q tip...it take two minutes. Some itching...strong itching if they have applied to high a dose. It take about 4 months to see if it works. There is some maintenance if it is a success. ...going down to once a month. Worth the time (I'm an hour drive)if it works. By the way...Its applied to the scalp and eye brow. Everything south of that I don't much care about:)

no cost:)

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service