National Alopecia Areata Foundation Response to Mice Study
Released: 2/23/2011 3:50 PM EST
Source: National Alopecia Areata Foundation

Compound Leads to Hair-Growth in Mice

SAN RAFAEL, CA -- February 18th -- The National Alopecia Areata Foundation is optimistic about a possible breakthrough by scientists at the University of California, Los Angeles and the Veterans Administration. The scientists initially were studying a chemical compound that blocks the effects of stress on the gut. They used genetically altered mice which typically develop head-to-tail baldness because of overproducing a stress hormone. The surprise came when three months after treating the mice with the compound, the formerly bald mice were full of hair on their heads and bodies. Another positive angle is that the hair stayed after only one series of treatments.

The National Alopecia Areata Foundation feels this study is interesting. The key to how to build on this research is to make the correct diagnosis of what alopecia the mouse model has. The relevance of this model to alopecia areata is unclear and will take further study to see if this will have a meaning for future alopecia areata treatments.

When you genetically engineer a mouse and get alopecia you usually get a very specific defect. When you modulate that defect with a compound directed at the defect you correct the problem caused by that specific defect. So this sounds exciting for that specific cause and form of alopecia. Another interesting concept is that the agent that blocks stress in the GI tract could affect nerves in skin and potentially induce recycling of the follicle. NAAF looks forward to future studies related to these findings.

The National Alopecia Areata Foundation (NAAF), headquartered in San Rafael, CA, supports research to find a cure or acceptable treatment for alopecia areata, supports those with the disease, and educates the public about alopecia areata. NAAF is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors and has a prestigious Scientific Advisory Council. Founded in 1981, NAAF is widely regarded as the largest, most influential and most representative foundation associated with alopecia areata.

To learn more about alopecia areata, or to schedule an interview with a NAAF researcher, please contact the National Alopecia Areata Foundation office at (415) 472-3780 in San Rafael, CA or visit the NAAF website at http://www.naaf.org

Views: 611

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

kelly, I have your same situation, such thick red hair at age 2 and then after it started to fall out in patches my mom had me in pretty bonnets. by 18 there was nothing left, and now I am 45. I think of that serenity prayer many times. I sent an email to the Salk Institute to volunteer. Let's keep our fingers crossed!
Yes, I hope the cure is found soon. However,on the other hand, Anna, do you know if you were given soy formula as a baby? Even if soy is not GM it's bad for you. I am not saying you were or anything: I was just wondering. I was given it as a baby because my mother thought it was the right thing to do!!! Also, does anyone else in your family have alpecia?
My daughter was given soy formula as a baby. I just googled soy infant formula dangers and can't believe how horrible it is for babies! Didn't our doctors know this? I would have never given it to her had I known these dangers and she really didn't need it...my son couldn't drink regular baby formula so the doctor put him on soy for his stomach problems and told me to use it for my daughter too. My son has asthma and that is one of the causes of soy formula...hmmm.
No, my mom said I was a breast fed baby and no one else in the family has it. My parents took me to the Cleveland Clinic and they tried every imaginable technique to help me including hypodermic cortisone shots (those sure hurt! and my dad found out about side effects and discontinued that idea) and light therapy.
Apparently, when I was a baby I couldn't tolerate breast milk because I was lactose intolerant so I was given formula. I have no idea what they put in baby formula over forty years ago.
I don't think that stress causes alopecia, but it can trigger it.
As for the big pharmas; they are only after the almighty dollar. A cure would mean a one time use for a drug, whereas a 'treatment' means a continued use and never ending profits.
I just watched the movie Daybreakers (most of humanity were infected & turned into vampires) and near the end of the movie Sam Neill's character says; "Its never been about a cure. It's about repeat business." Truer words were never spoken. THAT is exactly what the pharmas are doing.
Thanks for posting this article! Its sounds hopeful.
cheers

This study is really important for people! And their response is exactly what we have needed. I hope that with the help of academichelp reviews at essayservicescanner.com will help us with understanding this topic even more. I believe that it can be an amazing thing for every single one of us!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service