I've been freaking out about how to transition from having hair to a wig at a job. I currently can get away without a wig because I have diffuse alopecia areata, and no one can tell that I have any hair loss....yet!!!! My hair is in a downward spiral, and I know I'm going to need a wig eventually, but I'm clueless how someone introduces one when they go to work. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Views: 2896

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I JUST went through this. I am a nursing student and was TERRIFIED to go from having really LONG hair (when I first discovered the hair loss in October) to a wig. How I transitioned was,once it started getting thinner, I cut it shorter. Then a month or two later I transitioned to a short wig like is in my picture. So very few people knew it was a wig unless I told them. But honestly, the truth is, a few people may know its a wig ... Just be willing and open to talk about it. I found a lot of people truly respected me and supported me for talking about it. Wearing a wig has also made me feel much more comfortable in my own skin. I would get so paranoid that someone in class would be sitting behind me looking at my head, or that someone in the hospital that i work out would think i was a cancer patient... It has made me much more confident to get my work done well ... don't be scared of it, have fun with it!
No way, this is a wig in your picture? It looks like you own hair. Where did you get your wig?
That's funny Sally! Someone a few months ago said the same thing to me: "Your hair always looks perfect!"
I stewed about this for months and on the "big day" almost turned around and went back home. I'm happy to say it was a whole lot of fear on my part, and a whole lot of acceptance from everyone else. And, once that first day is over, it only gets easier. When I told the first few people, my lip trembled and it was emotional. I found the key was to tell those people to let others know (I really wanted the "too-afraid-to-ask" people to know I didn't have cancer). It worked: word spread around and it became a non-issue by day two. Bottom line: I discovered I had way more judgment than my co-workers.

My next challenge? Wearing a different wig...
WOW!!! I had hair JUST like yours. People recognized me by it.....NEVER, in a million years, did I think I would be losing it.
I will be facing this challenge soon. I have been wearing the same style/color wig since October 09 (I have three of the same to rotate), and I am bored and wanting a change. The problem is, I am in a new job (a little over a month), they have only seen me with the current wig, and nobody even knows it's a wig! I will stick with the same general color, but I am needing a style change and I know it will solicit comments. I don't have the nerve yet to people about my alopecia, so I am wondering how to approach this....
You "change wigs often for fashion or to fool your family, try on a new image," etc. Ask them to be part of your research, and tell you which ones they like best over two years. That will prep them for any future changes. Then just go on smiling!
My challenge is being unemployed, then when and if I get that interview, do I wear "hair" or go "as is" ??? I would feel that I look better, dressed for success and all of that, with nice "hair", an outfit is just not pulled together with hair loss....or do I dress as I would, but not wear a wig, and wonder if they think .."is she ill??" I don't feel that I need to advise strangers of what the issue is and that YES, it is a wig...and if and when I do get a job, ...do I wear a wig and get the glares from people? And just ignore them? Again, not feeling that I owe strangers an explanation. It is one thing if you have been working with the same people for years and years..they are more like friends or family at that point (maybe!!)....
I am at work to work, not answer personal questions all day. I am there to do the job, so I have to leave my own stuff and emotions out and help the students and administration. I have plenty of time after work, at home, in my own town, and with family to go wigless, make my statements or explore personal questions. I always round UP to one notch higher than my position; that is, dress a tad bit more professional than the other teachers, especially on conference days. Then, if a promotion is considered, I already "look" like the next position up in their minds. Sometimes I even wear suit jackets with my slacks, or classier earrings.

I just bought a wig that fits both fun AND professional, but is age-appropriate in style. The fun part is that I have been brunette and red-head at work for a year, and will now be "Golden Wheat" with dark roots! THAT should shake things up a bit! Obviously, it will be a wig revelation, but it is MY life, MY choice, MY condition, and I want to think of myself as a fun woman even when the job has its hard days. Besides, the blond goes with the white sideburns, while the dark part goes with my eyebrows and lashes. A compromise on many fronts! Choose what will bring you food, shelter, medical plan and bill payment money...that comes first in this economy. Once you get the job, if you decide to go wigless and get flack, see a lawyer...but get the job first.
Golden wheat w/roots...ok, a Raquel, no doubt...should look great...I like her wigs, they fit great, but the blondes are not blonde enough for me...I should just get used to darker...I have one in Buttered Toast that is nice..also, a reddish/blonde mix, cannot recall the name...thanks
I have been wondering about this too. What is diffuse AA?
It's the same thing as alopecia areata except it's not in round or patchy form, it's throughout the whole head.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service