anyone have any experience with this type wig? I just happen to see it advertised on this web-site and interested to know more - would like to hear from anyone that has/is wearing one???

Thanks,
Kim

Views: 2459

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wear the Follea gripper. I love it. I walk, run, and exercise in my gripper. If you keep the silicone wiped off and keep you head clean, the gripper has not ever slipped on me.

I am wearing a Follea gripper now (have been since end of Dec. 2012).... I do like the cap structure (so much cooler than vacuum piece I have worn for the last 15 years- bought 5 over that period).... the hair quality is not as good on the Follea as it is on the vacuum piece, and it tends to tangle some. I do use very good quality hair products on it. Time will tell if I buy another one or not... another thing, the Follea cost almost as much as a vacuum piece.

Hi Alyce

I love what you have said Alyce. The gripper strips on the 'gripper' to work well would need to be kept clean the whole time. As silicone looses all grippiness when water or perspiration/body oils get between you and the silicone. As Lori has said, I'm pretty sure Lori would have looked after her gripper and done the above but it didn't seem to work for her. :(

Hi Kim

As you have noticed the hair on the Gripper is processed, the hair on your Freedom Wig was 100% unprocessed virgin human hair. There is a difference in hair quality. I don't know why the Gripper is as expensive when it uses the hair it does, processed hair is not expensive to buy????

Nice to know you are enjoying your hair.

Rosy

I bought the Gripper to wear for intense ballroom dancing activities, during which not sweating is just not an option. That's why the Gripper didn't work for me. I didn't have time to stop performing to run into the bathroom to wipe the silicone. I also did not find the cap comfortable. It leaves nasty indented welts. It could just be that I have a non-standard head size where one Gripper std. size is too large and another is too small.

Everyone has different preferences depending upon how they use their hair and what their expectations are, how much they want to spend, and what their priorities are given their stage of life, etc. If I weren't an independent homeowner with a plan to retire in a few years, I would spend money on all of the options!

How does Freedom not used processed hair because more than one person hair is needed for each wig..that being said, they would need to dye it to get an evenly colored wig especially blonde ones?!

Hi

Freedom Wigs only use 100% unprocessed virgin human hair in their wigs. No Freedom do not dye the hair to get it evenly coloured. Freedom's blonde hairpieces are probably a little darker than the bleached blonde many manufacturers use. To use the hair Freedom uses they have to have extremely skilled hairsorters and they do. Freedom has been helping people in the alopecia community for approx 30 years and they are extremely skilled at what they do.

I don't really know of any other manufacturers that use 100% unprocessed virgin human hair as it is a very rare commodity and expensive. It takes skilled workers to work with it and up to the date technology to implant it so that it moves and reacts like growing hair.

I really don't understand how processed hair wigs can be of a similar price.

Here is a picture of my daughter when she was 18 years old. As you will see the colour of the wig is not bleached blonde.

If you want to achieve the beach blonde or peroxide blonde that many ladies prefer you can colour your hair once it is sent to you from Freedom. The results when using 100% unprocessed virgin hair are extremely good and as you only have to colour it once (we would recommend foils and not to many), the hair react like growing hair and looks incredibly natural.
Here is Martine a Freedom's Australian IA with her blonde hair and how she prefers to style it

When you are dealing with 100% unprocessed virgin human hair you have to understand that long hair of most colours and blonde or red hair are extremely rare, but in most instances Freedom is able to source the hair required, but it can take time.
Rosy

Can you use FW if you have fine thin hair all over or is total baldness needed?

Hi Liana

That really depends on how much hair. I would personally always recommend that people shave the hair they have (if they feel a Freedom Wig could help). Some people do have hair underneath their freedom wigs, but each person is different. Like I said as a rule of thumb, if you have terminal hair it would be better to shave it. If you have vellus hair you will probably be ok, but that would be dependent on how much. Kim Karacz the Texas Freedom Independent Agent has vellus growth under her Freedom hair...sometimes I believe she chooses to shave and others she doesn't ...it really depends on how much. You might like to contact her and get her opinion.

Rosy

I have worn both vacuum and Follea wigs. To me the Follea are MUCH cooler. However, I am having a problem with the silicone turning yellow. Once that happens, it irritates my scalp at the base of the neck. I like the texture of the hair. Have no other issues, except with the silicone discoloration. Linda

Hi

I have real difficulty with the comparisons often made between Follea type caps and Vacuum wig (which could be Freedom wigs). These are incredibly different products.

Just to help you understand

Freedom is a Custom made wig, where everything is discussed and worked through with an IA, hair choice, colour choice, curl preference, density, length are all worked through with the individual and what their needs are. 100% unprocessed virgin hair is used, it is incredibly secure in all life instances (you can swim in it) and is just a very different piece of equipment than a Follea wig. It's not for everyone but is designed for those with long term extensive hairloss.

Follea do a good job with the product they sell. But it is made using wefts and handtieing, on a net base. It is often a stock piece coming in set sizing (but can somtimes be customised for extra cost), they mostly use processed hair (in some instances lightly processed - truly don't understand lightly, but would love someone to explain). Their wigs sometimes have the silicone band, which creates tightness and reasonable security without glues, but you really can't swim in them and they do tend to loose grippiness in some life instances. In the dvd on utube it is recommended that you do not pull the hair from the top as it will come off. This is very different to a Freedom Wig and I am sure it is absolutely appropriate for some wearers.

No wig is perfect and comparisons often are offputting for everyone. People will find the wig that works for them and their lifestyle. But only if the information is clear.

Freedom Vacuum Wigs aren't perfect....growing hair is perfect, but for me personally and I am biased as my daughter has worn them for 10 years; they work. She has never got hot or uncomfortable. Linda, I wonder if you have the old style Freedom Vacuum Cap that Peggy Knight use to sell or even another type of vacuum piece. The older type cap is not as comfortable as the Freedom II cap. If you were a Peggy Knight client this may be the case. Peggy use to rebrand the Freedom product as her own.

I would contact follea about the issues you are having with the silicone.

Rosy

I have follea wig. The hair is beautifull, natural, the cap is cool and comfy. The problem I have is the silicone, it turned white and if bubbly. This happened in last few months and its irritating beacuse the wig does not stay put, like it used to...

I understand that you want feedback from wearers with regards to the problems you are having with your follea 'Gripper' wig. But I really feel you need to get help from Follea to put this right. Something has gone wrong.

Rosy

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service